Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scalloped necks  (Read 12553 times)

Offline simonlock

Scalloped necks
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2008, 10:49:53 AM »
BNO, scalloped necks make it easier to bend and do vibrato because the meat of your fingertips can wrap around the strings more and the action can still be very low. Blues guys usually set their guitars up a little higher that I would so that they can both grip the string at the start of the bend and to get under the strings above it as they push them all up and out of the way. Vibrato is the same idea but you have another cool option of squeazing the note into the scallop and you can make cool sitar sounding lines.

As far as Yngwie goes he was probably one of the biggest influences when I was 13/14. I love his act but I'd like to see him become more like he was before the ego and during his Rising Force era.

Simon
Vancouver,BC
A Whole Mess of Flys and I Love Them ALL!!!!!

Scalloped necks

Offline Picks

Scalloped necks
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2008, 03:10:14 AM »
Interesting how the scalloped fret neck has mutated to involve things with regards to 'bend ease' or string manipulation.

Want that feel? Try larger fret wire. Really. No, really! :-)

I read somewhere here that someone mentioned McLaughlin as probably the first to do this, I suspect this is true, at least it is the first I saw or heard of it.

Of course he did it because of the Mahavishnu experiences and sitar players he admired. It has nothing to do with string/neck association relating to action/feel. At least, to McLaughlin.

I've played quite a few scalloped necks, also got a Strat with Dunlop 5100 fretwire. Feels and acts like a scalloped board, pitch wise etc...

No doubt Blackmore copied McLaughlin, who influenced everyone it seems back then (check my blasphemy:...listen to Jeff Beck, some of his best licks are McLaughlins...hell, so are Jan Hammers!) Blow by Blow/.Wired era...

McLaughlin abandoned those necks soon after he experimented with them. Yngwie obviously copied Blackmore in more ways than one (oh yes yes yes, he copied the idea from baroque era lute...ahem). When at 14, he was working as a luthier....<cough>

Anyways, to those who aren;t familiar with JMc, youtube that badboy, he shreds Malmsteen like a head of lettuce at Hons, and was doing so almost 30 years ago. Eric Johnson? Where do you think those pentatonics came from? Shawn Lane? Where do you think those pentatonics came from?

Not to mention the guy fries up Parker tunes like nothing, plays Indian ragas well enough to be respected as an 'Indian' musician.
Comparing JMc to Yng is like comparing a McDonalds to Joe Fortes.

I know this kinda of bs is futile, but this particular wrong, must be righted, especially for the benefit of those who would think otherwise. It is surely only because you haven;t heard enough of JMc or can;t understand his art.

It's okay, over 10 albums of the same licks played over the same progressions over the same double kick prattle, is cool, I like Yngwie as much as anyone, he is an icon no less than Hendrix, VH.

But JMc, is a different thing entirely. Just let the music do the talking!

Apparently, Mclaughlin is Allan Holdsworth's favourite guitarist. Go figure.

Let the dragons' out of the dungeons...

« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 03:12:45 AM by Picks »