Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Intro to Dayn's Custom Fly  (Read 11070 times)

Offline daynwarren

Intro to Dayn's Custom Fly
« on: December 31, 2007, 05:48:36 PM »
Prepare yourself for possibly the longest post ever:

I thought it would be fun to introduce my new Custom Fly with the long story leading up to it.

I began playing guitar at age 19 in 1996 while living in Kailua-Kona, HI. I would bang away on a cheap acoustic for hours a day learning all of the chords I could. I had no music background or training and never got around to taking lessons as I seemed to progress in my playing through sheer diligence and passion for the instrument.

I don't remember the year but probably 1998-99 I was in a Borders bookstore in Langley, BC Canada. I was hearing the most beautiful guitar music on the store sound system and turned the corner and realized that it wasn't a CD,it was live music! His name was Les Finnigan and he was playing a Dana Bourgeious Martin Simpson Signature model 12 fret cutaway acoustic through a Crate acoustic amp. He was using alternate tunings and had these rich, beautiful tones coming through and was tapping the strings all over the neck. I had never seen that technique before. I bought two of his CD's immediately ($20 usd for both) and have enjoyed them ever since. He has been a great source of inspiration and he set my playing down a unique path.

I began to experiment with alternate tunings and fell in love! It was so fun to learn new chord shapes and to play tapping and both hand fretting on the neck. Very rewarding. A few months later, as I was searching the internet, I came across a video on MSN-video. It was a song called "Slap Funk" by a guitarist named Preston Reed. It changed my life!

Now THAT was some unique playing! Similar to Les Finnigan but so much more aggressive with his slapping and tapping of the strings and also the body of his guitar. He sounded like a full band but it was one take, no overdubs, just an acoustic guitar. Incredible! I started to try his tunings and style and it was so fun.

I continued to discover great guitarists. Michael Hedges, Don Ross, Andy Mckee, Billy McLaguhlin. All great acoustic guitarists in the "New Age" genre. Still some of my favorite music.

I remember my fist experience with a Fly. About 1999, my roommate in Hawaii, a Canadian guitarist/singer/songwriter Barney Munallal, acquired a Maroon Fly Deluxe and recorded an album with that guitar and a POD. I had never played an electric guitar nor had any interest in one but decided to try it. I was attracted to it because my acoustic of choice was a Rainsong WS-1000 and I loved carbon fibre guitars, especially in the humidity of Hawaii which wreaks havoc on guitars. It was really fun to play and I enjoyed the sounds of the POD when plugged into the headphones. I was still an acoustic guitarist however and had no interest in an electric guitar (although I was intrigued by the solid body of the Fly with the piezos).

In the Fall of 2001, right before 9/11, I moved back to the Seattle area and started to attend college (I have my degree in Comparative religion from the University of Washington). An old friend (age and time I had known him) was in a band and invited me to sit in on a practice with my Rainsong and play acoustic. They were an Elton John cover band called the Rocket Band. They also played other classic rock. I wasn't too familiar with the music (I had a very sheltered religious upbringing) but I enjoyed playing with them (as I had a few years before in church). I was invited to play in the band a few more practices and was having a great time learning.

One day my friend told me he didn't want me to come back. He thought my playing didn't fit the style of the band (maybe it truly didn't) and that the electric guitarist was enough for them. He said if they wanted another guitarist, it would be an electric guitarist anyway. I was devastated. Truly hurt but there was nothing I could do. I had to learn that this is the nature of playing with other musicians and in a band. That is just how it goes sometimes when it is not a good fit.

Around the same time, a friend of mine, who played a lot of acoustic guitar with me, was moving back to Russia and gave me his electric guitar. I wasn't sure what I would do with it but I like free things! It was a 1960's Harmony Rocket. Only one pickup worked and intermittently at that. I also had no amp. I just played in unplugged like an acoustic guitar as it was a hollowbody and had almost enough volume.

The experience of being asked to leave the band because I couldn't/didn't play electric guitar drove me to start shopping for an electric guitar. I shopped around forever and looked in catalogs. I finally decided on a white Roland Ready strat and a Roland VGA-7 amp. It modeled all the guitars and amps and had the ability to do ALTERNATE TUNINGS which I was very familiar with. A do it all system sounded like a great idea!

I bought it, used it for a few months, wrote numerous songs, played in coffeehouses and churches, and thoroughly loved it until after listening to many electric guitarist on CD and DVD I realized that the electric tones weren't that inspiring and the alternate tunings were a little glitchy/pitchy compared to the real thing. I sold the guitar and amp and started what has seemed like a never ending buy/try/sell frenzy.

In the last few years I have gone through over a hundred acoustic guitars, electric guitars, effects pedals, modelers, and amplifiers. I won't list them all but I have had cheap, expensive, boutique, all kinds of woods and finishes, custom built, built by me, etc all in a search for tones that I like and guitars to express what I want to hear both acoustically and electrically.

I have had a few Flys in that search.

My first was a black Concert Fly strung with 10-52 flatwound strings. It was almost the first S3 as I was talking to Axel Rudich about putting three single coils on it and wiring it like a strat.

I ended up also getting a Mojo. It was a great guitar for lead playing and I had a lot of fun with it through tube amps cranked up. Nice split tones and the acoustic sound was great. It almost became a “Belew” guitar. I was going to have Axel put in a middle humbucker, a 5-wat switch, Variax and maybe the Sustainer, but I sold it to mod a different Fly instead in a more simple and all analog way (no digital modeling).

My talks with Axel Rudich led me to buy a Deluxe Single 2 to be modded. I have always loved lipstick pickups and tonal options so he put those pickups in and did some crazy wiring for me. What a great Fly. A masterpiece of Axel’s work and no other like it.

I owned this Artist for a time. It had Seymour Duncan Blackbacks. Probably the best sounding Fly I have had on the electric side.

I traded the lipstick Fly for this RMC modded Artist. I had just heard that the VG-99 was going to come out and started to look into guitars again for that type of system and it came up on the forum for sale! I was curious about the electric guitar tones and hopefully improved alternate tunings (problems which made me sell my first electric guitar/amp) and am pleased to say that the VG-99 sounds incredible, especially through the Atomic Reactor 112-50 tube amp.

PIC COMING

An idea entered my head for my ultimate guitar. I had been wanting an RMC Fly with ONLY RMC pickups for some time so I realized that I had finally come to the point where I was ready to order it and make my dreams come true.

Here it is, awaiting its RMC mods. There will be more to story when I am done getting the RMC parts installed, but now you have the story (trust me, the short version) of what led me up to this guitar. I will have all of my alternate tunings for the slapping/tapping style and my electric tones too.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 03:54:23 PM by daynwarren »

Offline jazzrat

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 05:58:22 PM »
I enjoyed reading that Dayn. Thanks for sharing how you got where you are! Looking forward to hearing more about your guitar when the RMC mods are done.

'02 Fly Classic Hardtail,'07 NiteFly Alder, Ibanez AS80, Eastman 805 CE Archtop,  MIM jazz bass, Takemine '95 SC-132EC
Fly Classic, Ibanez AS-193, Eric Johnson Strat, Eastman AR403-CE, Cordoba Fusion 12 Maple, Fretless Jazz Bass

Offline jamrcat

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 06:59:45 PM »
Sharing the progression is really a wonderful idea. Many here will (I hope) use this format. Some will benefit greatly as others share their history. A great way to shorten another's journey! [;)]

98' Fly Artist w/RMC (Thanks Dayn!)
93' Parker Fly Deluxe hardtail RP "Blackie" KP Signature (Thank You! Bob & Ken)
2FlyBob (Thanks Paul!)

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

Offline Vilhelm J.S Bachstein

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 07:20:04 PM »
That is a very interesting story sir. Who would have thought a mainly acoustic player would gravitate towards a Parker Fly?

'06 Fly Deluxe,Dusty Black
Funds for my Trans Red Fly Classic have begin!

Offline Vilhelm J.S Bachstein

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 07:22:01 PM »
Although you were playing a Rainsong so I could kind of see why you would purchase one.[Althugh you did play your friend's Fly Deluxe.]

'06 Fly Deluxe,Dusty Black
Funds for my Trans Red Fly Classic have begin!

Offline daynwarren

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 01:33:13 PM »
I think I have turned into more of an electric player now, who will translate my acoustic techniques to the Fly. I love the lightweight, the feel, and of course, with the RMC's, all of the options for different tones and tunings all in one guitar!

Offline jamrcat

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 01:55:24 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by daynwarren

I think I have turned into more of an electric player now, who will translate my acoustic techniques to the Fly. I love the lightweight, the feel, and of course, with the RMC's, all of the options for different tones and tunings all in one guitar!

I'm kinda from the same process. Most of my professional career, I played electric acoustics and sang. I played lead (electric) only when no one else was available. In my latter years it was more of a convenience to play electric. Now it is a must because of my physical limitations. I love the playability of an electric without the bulkyness of an acoustic. Your setup Dayn really intrigues me. [:p]

2FlyBob (Thanks Paul!)

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

Offline daynwarren

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 02:29:46 PM »
Rickey,

When it is done, you should take a road trip over to Seattle! Bring your RMC Fly and we can experiment!

That, or just ask me a lot of questions as I experiment!

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 02:36:32 PM »
Thanks for the story DayN.

Like you and Janrcat, I was strictly acoustic until playability became a limiting factor. On trying to switch to electrics, weight became the limiting factor. Now I'm having a blast with the Fly and even going back and trying to learn some rock and roll. My lack of talent is the only limiting factor now[:I]

The hard part for me (aside from lack of talent) was trying to figure out the other half of the instrument--the amp. Of course now that part is becoming fun too.[;)]

Good luck and I hope you both keep us informed on this new technology.

Sanity is the ability to live in harmony with nature's laws.

There is plenty enough amazing reality to go around to obviate the need for fabricating  substitutes.

You don't know who your true corporate friends are, until you run for office.
A few Flys in my soup

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 02:39:06 PM »
That is some nice axes that you have there. [:0]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline jamrcat

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 03:25:34 PM »
I remember last year we all talked about getting together. We've seen Bob, John & Tom do it! I think we could all learn some interesting things if we just could do something simple, like everyone on the West coast meet in Seattle - everyone in the Mid-west meet in Denver - everyone in the South meet in Dallas - everyone on the East coast meet in New York, that sort of thing! It needs to be centralized so most do not have to travel too far. If we kept it simple and wasn't too much of a hardship, then maybe we could all gain some valuable insight from such  meetings! Thinking out loud here! [;)]

2FlyBob (Thanks Paul!)

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

Offline daynwarren

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 04:18:30 PM »
I am ready to schedule the first Annual Seattle Fly Get-together!

Who is in?

Offline mojotron

• http://www.mojotronics.com
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 08:07:15 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by daynwarren

I am ready to schedule the first Annual Seattle Fly Get-together!

Who is in?

I am - I live in Sumner : developerlinux [at] hotmail.com

Offline cgarlie

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 09:54:24 AM »

Dayn --

As you probably know, I am anxious to hear the conclusion to your RMC story. As soon as my son moves back to Seattle, I'm in for the Parker jam session.

If you haven't already, you should check out the Axe-Fx (http://www.fractalaudio.com/) and the Gus G1 Midi guitar (http://www.gusguitars.com/product.php?model_id=5). Both top notch (but unfortunately expensive.) Email me for more details and reviews.

Charlie

Parker Mojo
Parker Cedar Bronze
Parker Deluxe w/ RMC
Gibson '83 Lucille
SRV Custom Strat
PRS SAS
(Original) Dan Armstrong "See-through"
Burns Shadows Custom
PRS SC245 Twentieth Anniversary 
Gibson '83 Lucille
Gibson Digital Les Paul (HD-6X)
SRV Custom Strat
"Claptonized" 60th Anniversary Strat
PRS SAS
(Original) Dan Armstrong "See-through"
Variax II

Offline daynwarren

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 03:37:23 PM »
Here is a pic by pic tutorial on how to install the RMC saddles. Pretty self-explanatory and I had it done within an hour of UPS dropping off the guitar!

Enjoy!

The only thing left to do is solder the 6 piezo leads to the DIN8S RMC jack. RMC provides a schematic as to which lead goes to which pin so it is quite easy. I don't solder so I will need to get a friend who does or take it to a luthier to finish. Should take him 10 minutes.

I think this should/will become the preferred option for those who want RMC pickups and want to do it theirselves as well as be less intrusive on the face of their guitar with added controls.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 03:57:49 PM by daynwarren »