Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Intro to Dayn's Custom Fly  (Read 10980 times)

Offline 908ssp

Intro to Dayn's Custom Fly
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 04:15:47 PM »
Wow that looks like the cats pajamas. Those saddles looks so cool I might have to get set. Can you tell us what all the parts including the box cost? And then you plug that box into a midi controlled sound module or is it something else?

[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline jazzrat

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 04:27:36 PM »
What a great plan Dayn! Clean as a whistle

'02 Fly Classic Hardtail,'07 NiteFly Alder, Ibanez AS80, Eastman 805 CE Archtop,  MIM jazz bass, Takemine '95 SC-132EC
Fly Classic, Ibanez AS-193, Eric Johnson Strat, Eastman AR403-CE, Cordoba Fusion 12 Maple, Fretless Jazz Bass

Offline daynwarren

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 05:22:28 PM »
The biggest bummer about the install is the nickel color of the saddle screws...my other RMC fly (now Rickey's) had black screws I think. I need to source some black screws.

There is the special 8-pin cord that goes from the guitar to the preamp box. This cord is nice as it has a locking mechanism on the guitar end. The 13-pin cords are notoriously weak and easy to bend if not careful. The preamp has 13-pin out that can be sent to any 13-pin compatible gear. It does not have a 5-pin midi out. You would need a midi converter. Some might use it for synths but I use it for my Roland VG-99 (has built-in midi converter. The main reason is alternate tunings. The perk is that it is also a modeler so I can have fun with lots of guitar/amp sounds. I probably prefer a real electric guitar into a Komet/Trainwreck type amp but this is so different it is fun and sounds good in its own way.

List price from RMC on the saddles is $300 and $350 for the preamp. I have a dealer that can beat just about anybodies price for anyone interested in ordering. Just e-mail me for the details.

I just dropped the guitar off at a luthier for soldering and should have it back in 1-3 days depending on his schedule.

Offline kurrykid

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 08:10:06 PM »
Wow, thanks for the info.  I am amazed that you had that thing in pieces so quickly.  I wouldn't have had the guts myself [:I]  It is going to be awesome.  Thanks for sharing.

Dave

PM20, QB
Black P6E
"Calvary Fly" Custom Mojo Single Cut
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 08:11:15 PM by kurrykid »
Dave

TTB DF
"Calvary Fly" Custom Mojo Single Cut
PM20, QB
Black P6E

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 09:18:40 PM »
Thanks Dayn I haven't paid much attention recently. Years ago I had a Roland thing from the store I worked at. I messed with it a bit could never get it to work they way I thought it should. I did think it looked cool. Yours looks way cooler and plays better. with the new tech it most assuredly sounds better as well.

No wait that wasn't the one this is.

Hey Dayn remind me to check I might have some of those screws in black. If not they are easy for me to get.

Alex

« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 09:22:30 PM by 908ssp »
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline daynwarren

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 10:52:30 PM »
Yeah, the older synth stuff had some tracking issues. I am very happy with the VG-99...even has a GR-300 built in for those "analog" synth sounds (digital model of analog synth).

Let me know about the black screws. I don't even know where to start looking with that hex head. Happy to pay for screws plus shipping.

Offline sekt88

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2008, 03:49:16 AM »
HOw does one order a hardtail fly with no pickup routes, no electronics and how much does it cost?

Thanks,

Sekt88

´01 Fly Supreme ( Ex-Angaliel)
2x Roland Cube 60

www.myspace.com/marcandthemillionaires

Offline cgarlie

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2008, 08:46:34 AM »

Dayn --

I went with gold screws to match the gold part of the saddles -- these can be had from Parker (US Music) parts department (and I think these would go well with your guitar color). Maybe they have a black screw too.

A couple of questions --

Did you have to adjust the height of the bridge (the RMC saddles are a bit higher) or did you take this into account when ordering the guitar?

Did you have to extend (file) the slots (in the bridge) for the wires from the saddles? My understanding is this is necessary to properly set the intonation.

Looks great!

Charlie

Parker Mojo
Parker Cedar Bronze
Parker Deluxe w/ RMC
Gibson '83 Lucille
SRV Custom Strat
PRS SAS
(Original) Dan Armstrong "See-through"
Burns Shadows Custom
PRS SC245 Twentieth Anniversary 
Gibson '83 Lucille
Gibson Digital Les Paul (HD-6X)
SRV Custom Strat
"Claptonized" 60th Anniversary Strat
PRS SAS
Variax II

Offline cgarlie

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2008, 08:49:44 AM »
BTW --

What wood did you choose for the body and neck?

Parker Mojo
Parker Cedar Bronze
Parker Deluxe w/ RMC
Gibson '83 Lucille
SRV Custom Strat
PRS SAS
Burns Shadows Custom
PRS SC245 Twentieth Anniversary 
Gibson '83 Lucille
Gibson Digital Les Paul (HD-6X)
SRV Custom Strat
"Claptonized" 60th Anniversary Strat
PRS SAS
Variax II

Offline laughinglarry

• http://www.myspace.com/larrysmithmusic
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2008, 10:25:11 AM »
Congrats Dayne!  That is one of the coolest looking guitars I have ever seen!  

I tried a VG-99 with my Fly as the controller.  (The guys in the Sam Ash were all awestruck by the Fly!  [8D])  Unfortunately, the sounds that I was most looking forward to didn't track well at ALL.  [:(]  Now, mind you, I'm using a GK-2A, and the string spacing isn't perfect.  The outside strings are BARELY over the hex pickup.  When I bend the high E, the tracking went AWAY (even though the string was more centered over the hex pickup!).  Now understand - I didn't calibrate the VG-99, and I suspect THAT has more to do with it than the GK-2A.  [:I]  But the ONLY settings this occured on?  GR-300 patches!  [:0][:p][B)]  Man, I LOVE those old analog sounds - even just plain old HEX FUZZ (why the GR-30 doesn't do HEX FUZZ is beyond me).  So if I migrate to a VG-99, I might have to upgrade to a GK-3 too.  Not likely to happen anytime soon...

I used to have the same Ibanez controller that Alex had (IMG2010).  It was my first headless guitar, and one of the few guitars that I've parted with that I WISH I could get back.  Last year, I found one in ER's shop, and wanted to buy it on the spot.  It was a Sunday though, and no one there could find a price for it - so they couldn't SELL IT!!!  [:0][:(!][xx(]  Of course, it would have been WAY too much anyway...

The 24 pin controllers are still considered to be pretty accurate trackers.  The main issues were the processing speed of the actual MIDI interface.  I was running the IMG2010 into a GR-700.  The only thing that irritated me was that I couldn't properly assign the "trem bar" to control pitch changes.  (The Ibanez trem was an electronic controller, so the strings never actually went slack or taught.  Of course, that meant NO trem for standard electric guitar, but it sure stayed in tune!)  And I REALLY wanted one of those Roland controllers with the "stabilizer bar" - I've ALWAYS liked the weird stuff!

Anyway Dayne, I truly applaud your design!  Bravo!  I'll keep on the lookout for sound clips... [;)]

Larry

2000 Fly S2 (thanks Alex and Esau!), '97 Fly Deluxe (with GK-2A), '07 Steinberger GM-7TA, '89 Strat Plus, '92 Les Paul Custom, '99 Ibanez JS-1000, Ibanez Silver Series (Strat), Epiphone Dot, '65 Mustang, Hohner G3T, Yamaha BB3000AF, Peavey Foundation, Hamer Cruisebass
http://www.myspace.com/larrysmithmusic
www.myspace.com/karmagenerator

Offline daynwarren

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2008, 12:13:11 PM »
How does one order a hardtail fly with no pickup routes, no electronics and how much does it cost?

You can order one through any Parker dealer, if they are willing to do such a strange request. Price is up to the dealer. I have a great dealer that should be ready for orders soon, that could handle an order like this no problem!

Did you have to adjust the height of the bridge (the RMC saddles are a bit higher) or did you take this into account when ordering the guitar?

In my comparison side by side, the saddles seem to be the same height. If there is a difference, it is not enough to make any problems that can’t be adjusted by moving the whole bridge up or down.  Looks in the pics for a saddle comparison.

Did you have to extend (file) the slots (in the bridge) for the wires from the saddles? My understanding is this is necessary to properly set the intonation.

I had Parker extend the piezo lead holes a little to account for the difference (see pics). When installing the saddles I checked the range of adjustment for intonation and there is plenty there. The reason for the extra room is so the wires don’t get pinched.

What wood did you choose for the body and neck?

It is basically a Deluxe (like the Tangerine Belew), so Basswood/Poplar.

Dayn do you know what the paint code is?

I do not know that paint code. I simply requested “Tangerine Belew” and they gave me what I wanted. Best thing to do is round up Sharon’s e-mail through the forum, compliment her on the amazing job she did painting Dayn’s “Canvas” and see if she can supply the code. Simon, you up for a road trip to Seattle in the next 2-6 months for a West Coast Fly Gathering?

The 24 pin controllers are still considered to be pretty accurate trackers.

Yeah, I just sold this Roland G-303 guitar and GR-300 synth. Sounded and tracked amazingly!

« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 12:14:39 PM by daynwarren »

Offline laughinglarry

• http://www.myspace.com/larrysmithmusic
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2008, 01:24:47 PM »
quote:
Yeah, I just sold this Roland G-303 guitar and GR-300 synth. Sounded and tracked amazingly!

[:(] That's SO very Frippish!  [:p][:D][8D]

Thank God I didn't see that for sale, or I wouldn't have been able to fund my Single 2... (then again, it may have quited my GAS for a LONG while!) [;)][:0][:o)]

Larry

2000 Fly S2 (thanks Alex and Esau!), '97 Fly Deluxe (with GK-2A), '07 Steinberger GM-7TA, '89 Strat Plus, '92 Les Paul Custom, '99 Ibanez JS-1000, Ibanez Silver Series (Strat), Epiphone Dot, '65 Mustang, Hohner G3T, Yamaha BB3000AF, Peavey Foundation, Hamer Cruisebass
http://www.myspace.com/larrysmithmusic
www.myspace.com/karmagenerator

Offline daynwarren

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2008, 01:30:15 PM »
Maybe it is a good thing...that is an incredible playing and sounding guitar on its own, let alone the sounds from the GR-300!

Set-ups like this have been selling for $2300-2600 lately on eBay!

Offline esimms

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2008, 08:30:50 PM »
Larry, you are going to LOVE the S2! And I don't think I've seen a used guitar in this great condition.
  -  Esau

Offline number 2

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2008, 06:59:22 AM »
when i put the saddles in my mojo, i did not have to extend the slots. they fit perfectly! Just an FYI for some guys who are interested

Parker Fly Mojo Flame in Blue Burst and Koa Custom Shop Fly Mojo with black edges
Breedlove Custom Shop Grand Concert size / D'angelico 17 inch Excel / Alembic Custom 7 String Thing / Original PRS CE24
Two Rock Artist 100 watt Head and matching cab
Acoustic Image Focus II R Head
Suhr Straight Front 4x12 with scumbacks on the way
Parker Fly Mojo Flame in Blue Burst and Koa Custom Shop Fly Mojo
Breedlove Custom Shop Grand Concert size / D'angelico 17 inch Excel /
Alembic Custom 7 String Thing / Original PRS CE24
Two Rock Artist 100 watt Head and matching cab
Acoustic Image Focus II R Head
Suhr Straight Front 4x12 with scumbacks and eminence TR12-65s