Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question: Where to find jamming partners?  (Read 5459 times)

Offline mountaindewaddict

Question: Where to find jamming partners?
« on: January 17, 2008, 06:05:42 PM »
Okay, not every musician in all our respective communities is part of this forum (shame on them! [:)] ), so where do you all go to find others to jam with?  Have you ever hung out for hours in several guitar stores and ever even once heard someone playing and thought, "I'm going to ask them if they want to be in a band."  So what we do?

MountainDewAddict (Casey)

Gear:
Parker P-44, Takamine G-Series,  Digitech GNX4, Korg AX3A, Crate Powerblock 150, Various other assorted pedals and gizmos

"Remember, if at first you don't succeed, you're doing it wrong."

God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline mojotron

• http://www.mojotronics.com
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 06:39:11 PM »
I have not played in a band since 1993, practicing all the time, but too busy doing other things to be in a band - and I'm coming out of that now - thinking about it.... and there are a lot of musicians at my church I could play with... but I have found that I get a lot more out playing if I don't try to play with other guitar players. Seems the sonic spectrum is too cluttered - having 2 guitar players in a playing situation just has never worked right for me. And, generally at church it seems like there are 3-4 guitar players all the time (which really does not make sense to me as you can only hear one of them - you never see 4 drummers?).

So, I'm a bit perplexed about that too.

I would like to jam from time to time, but it's hard to find other musicians around you that are in it for the sake of writing/playing music minus any sort of ego/glory tripping. All the ego stuff drove me out of bands 15 years ago and I still have no patience for the ulterior motive stuff that goes on in some bands.

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 08:06:04 PM »
quote:
I have not played in a band since 1993, practicing all the time, but too busy doing other things to be in a band - and I'm coming out of that now - thinking about it.... and there are a lot of musicians at my church I could play with... but I have found that I get a lot more out playing if I don't try to play with other guitar players. Seems the sonic spectrum is too cluttered - having 2 guitar players in a playing situation just has never worked right for me. And, generally at church it seems like there are 3-4 guitar players all the time (which really does not make sense to me as you can only hear one of them - you never see 4 drummers?).

So, I'm a bit perplexed about that too.

I would like to jam from time to time, but it's hard to find other musicians around you that are in it for the sake of writing/playing music minus any sort of ego/glory tripping. All the ego stuff drove me out of bands 15 years ago and I still have no patience for the ulterior motive stuff that goes on in some bands.

I can relate to all of the above! The last three church music teams I have been on had all this petty stuff going on and I just couldn't hang with it. The last team I was on, I apparently was creating tension because the other main long standing electric player thought I was better than him, blah blah blah, but I wasn't there to show him up or anything like that. I just wanted to be on the music team and serve in some kind of capacity. That's all! It's kind of enigmatic for me because I don't like being the front man but I also don't like these competitions that seem to happen against my will and the who plays what thing. Argh! [B)]

Anyhow, I haven't had anyone to jam with for over ten years. I've tried over the years, but everyone is always too busy with something or another. That's one reason I have become a one man band. It would be nice to have someone to play with, though. I always learn something from playing with other people. [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 08:37:16 PM by Paul Marossy »

Offline mojotron

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 12:23:24 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Marossy

I can relate to all of the above! ...The last team I was on, I apparently was creating tension because the other main long standing electric player thought I was better than him...Argh! [B)]

Anyhow, I haven't had anyone to jam with for over ten years. I've tried over the years, but everyone is always too busy with something or another. That's one reason I have become a one man band. It would be nice to have someone to play with, though. I always learn something from playing with other people. [8D]

It is very difficult to work through some situations in band environments - the more people involved and the lower the average level of talent among the musicians - the more divisive the situations seems to get. Then there's singers [xx(] - don't get me started!!! I have never met a singer with the right motivations unless they actually played an insturment better than they sang.

Seems like really good musicians tend to be the most flexible, dedicated and respectful - they are just there to play and are kind of rare.

While I was in college I found countless jamming opportunities among the music students and while living in dorms. That was awesome. I imagine a community college would have a lot of musicians wanting to jam.

But - when I was in the military I taught a friend of mine to play guitar just to have someone to jam with. We ended up starting a band; he was pretty good after 4 years on the same ship - but he developed a massive glory seeking thing; I created a monster!

Also - I've tried to jam with people who only knew a few SRV songs from tab before too - that was not fun.

I think the key to finding a good jamming situation is to find someone with the same musical interests and will be as interested in learning as teaching.

Offline JSanta

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 05:20:52 AM »
Mojotron, when did you serve in the Navy?  I'm stationed at Fort Myer in DC and I really only have one guy I jam with on occasion, but mostly I just teach him because we'll be jamming and I will do something and he'll stop and be like, show me that!!  Right now he's obsessed with pinch harmonics lol.  It's fun though, if I can teach somebody something I always try.

/jim

Miss Wormwood:  What State do you live in?
Calvin: Denial.
Miss Wormwood: I don't suppose I can argue with that...

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 06:35:15 AM »
quote:
It is very difficult to work through some situations in band environments - the more people involved and the lower the average level of talent among the musicians - the more divisive the situations seems to get. Then there's singers  - don't get me started!!! I have never met a singer with the right motivations unless they actually played an insturment better than they sang.

Yeah, this is all too familiar. [B)]

quote:
Seems like really good musicians tend to be the most flexible, dedicated and respectful - they are just there to play and are kind of rare.

Yeah, and even if you are there just to play (like me), your still playing head games with people because I guess they can't believe that all you want to do is play. I don't need all that other nonsense, really. [V]

quote:
when I was in the military I taught a friend of mine to play guitar just to have someone to jam with. We ended up starting a band; he was pretty good after 4 years on the same ship - but he developed a massive glory seeking thing; I created a monster!

I went thru that stage in the mid 90s. When I listen to the stuff I did at the time, it was less than mediocre. And I thought I was THE BOMB at the time! [:I]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 06:36:24 AM by Paul Marossy »

Offline mojotron

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 10:59:52 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by JSanta

Mojotron, when did you serve in the Navy?  I'm stationed at Fort Myer in DC ...

I was in the Navy from 1987-93 stationed in Bremerton Wa - close to Seattle - on the USS Nimitz from 1989-93. When we were out at sea - which was most of the time [:0], we played 4-6 hours a day.

I still have some demos recordings from that time - that band was not 1/2 bad - IIDSSMS - it was a lot of fun. The really cool thing about that band, for a time, was that I was really good friends with one of the guys in that band - and we wrote all of the songs (everything from grunge to Carlton-esqe fusion stuff - arranged all of the gigs and ran everything. It was great to be in control and keep it about the music - but when my friend went a different direction with it after a few years I let it go to save a friendship... I think it was the right thing to do.

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 11:29:10 AM »
quote:
When we were out at sea - which was most of the time , we played 4-6 hours a day.

Man, some guys have all the luck. [;)]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline mojotron

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 02:48:23 PM »
quote:

quote:
It is very difficult ... Then there's singers  - don't get me started!!! ...

Yeah, this is all too familiar. [B)]

quote:
Seems like really good musicians ... kind of rare.

Yeah, and even if you are there just to play (like me), your still playing head games with people because I guess they can't believe that all you want to do is play. I don't need all that other nonsense, really. [V]

quote:
...developed a massive glory seeking thing; I created a monster!

...THE BOMB at the time! [:I]

I was humbled early and often when I started playing - still am whenever my hat-size starts to increase... [:I] I can never really get past my own ego, however I think I have learned to keep my ego in perspective and deeply appriciate all of the wonderful things others can do that I can't (yet [;)]): I consider it part of God's grace to be able to live out my hopes/dreams in reality and not as a component of my own dilusions.

I also hope I have learned (I think I have) to keep out of the band head games a bit better than I used to - because I would like to start playing with others on a rutine basis in the near future. That's what is really nice about jamming situations - it gives you a chance to network and find others you can work with.

One thing I noticed about music situations assiciated with organizations (College, Church) is that the more mature (as a person and musician) the leader is the better the situation seems to be. A lot of times the person that has the most time to lead these kinds of bands tends to be too green (first timer), too imature and inexperienced to keep a lid on the politics; or worse yet - participates in them.

From 1982-84, when I was just out of high school, I played in a funk/fusion (kind-of-a Return to Forever meets Earth, Wind, and Fire) band with a bunch of guys that were, in some cases, twice my age and down right mean (some of them were actually on work release from prison for part of that time). They were not people you would choose to hang out with if you were 19 yrs old, but they were serious musicians! If you were not there just for the music, prepared, made every gig/practice, played at 100%, and left your personal life in the car - you were out period - no messing around at all - 0 - "get the hxxx out - go home and practice kid we'll call you if we need you..." kind of thing. I did not realize at the time how cool that situation was. In spite of how tough it was to survive in that environment that situation was all about the music and performance and I learned a great deal - absolutely 0 politics: None of my bones were broken and I think most of them gave me back most of my stuff (hey - if someone out there sees some guy running around with a Rhodes Suitcase 73 - with cigarette burns on the lower keys - with a Sunn 2x15 cab let me know...) - so I got more out of it than I put in.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 03:08:37 PM by mojotron »

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 03:24:50 PM »
quote:
I can never really get past my own ego, however I think I have learned to keep my ego in perspective and deeply appriciate all of the wonderful things others can do that I can't (yet ) I consider it part of God's grace to be able to live out my hopes/dreams in reality and not as a component of my own dilusions.

Dude, are you in my head?! [;)]

I am basically at the same place. It was a major help when I said to myself "Hey, I'm not so and so, I am me. I have my own levels of talent and abilities, I will be content with that." [^]

quote:
One thing I noticed about music situations assiciated with organizations (College, Church) is that the more mature (as a person and musician) the leader is the better the situation seems to be.

This holds true in my observations, too. [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline mojotron

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 03:58:14 PM »
quote:

quote:
When we were out at sea - which was most of the time , we played 4-6 hours a day.

Man, some guys have all the luck. [;)]

I think most sailors would phrase that a little differently [:D]

Offline mojotron

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 04:19:22 PM »
quote:

quote:
I can never really get past my own ego, however I think I have learned to keep my ego in perspective and deeply appriciate all of the wonderful things others can do that I can't (yet ) I consider it part of God's grace to be able to live out my hopes/dreams in reality and not as a component of my own dilusions.

Dude, are you in my head?! [;)]

I am basically at the same place. It was a major help when I said to myself "Hey, I'm not so and so, I am me. I have my own levels of talent and abilities, I will be content with that." [^]

Yep.. It took me a long time to get there, but when I did I started playing a lot more, I really got into my technique/timing and I got a lot more out of what I was playing - even if I was not playing with/for anyone else. For years music has been for me like yoga is for some people, but I think I'm now at a point where I want to move beyond that.

My Satriani CDs are also asking me to find some new friends [:I]

Offline loumt123

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 04:31:14 PM »
well in my music store, you can stick flyers on the lesson room doors so you could try that

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 04:40:06 PM »
quote:
For years music has been for me like yoga is for some people, but I think I'm now at a point where I want to move beyond that.

Yeah, I know what you mean. [:0]

quote:
well in my music store, you can stick flyers on the lesson room doors so you could try that

That is also worth a try.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 04:51:56 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by cmpkllyrslf96

I eventually might, but one of the guys there is a real jerk (take the most opinionated, snobbish thing you've ever seen on this forum, multiply by a 1000, with a bias toward Gibson, and you've got this guy's every single statement)!  Unfortunately, they are the only Parker dealers in town, and they dropping the line because "they didn't sell well enough" - even though they only ever carried the P series!  Whew!  Wow, I feel better... Sorry about the rant...

I might take one of the suggestions here and try posting flyers at the University and community college here in town.  Maybe I'll get lucky and find some rich kid who's dad would be willing to buy a couple Fly's for his kid's new band.[:D]

MountainDewAddict (Casey)

Gear:
Parker P-44, Takamine G-Series,  Digitech GNX4, Korg AX3A, Crate Powerblock 150, Various other assorted pedals and gizmos

"Remember, if at first you don't succeed, you're doing it wrong."

God Bless!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 04:53:04 PM by mountaindewaddict »
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!