Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Body Language  (Read 5273 times)

Offline mountaindewaddict

Body Language
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2008, 11:24:18 PM »
Hey Simon!  If you want to see authentic stage body language that looks real and seems like it "fits," look no further than Phil Keaggy.  Here's a couple favorites of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV3bLZLpqTQ    (especially at 4:30ish)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T89MVl2NcPg

I don't know if Keaggy is your thing (you're more of a metal guy, right?), but you gotta dig the loops.  Peace.

MountainDewAddict (Casey)

Gear:
Parker P-44, Takamine G-Series,  Digitech GNX4, Korg AX3A, Crate Powerblock 150, Various other assorted pedals and gizmos

"Remember, if at first you don't succeed, you're doing it wrong."

God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Body Language

Offline ckyvick

Body Language
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 04:28:07 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCgQmOW74Mw

just watch and learn. at least my link someones playing a parker.

Body Language

Offline BrainWorm

Body Language
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 01:36:04 AM »
Learn what?

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."
"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."

Body Language

Offline ckyvick

Body Language
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 04:13:24 AM »
learn that playing a parker is all that matters

Body Language

Body Language
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 10:05:04 AM »
ckyvick, the first person I ever saw play a Parker WAS Phil Keaggy. Need proof?  Here:

http://www.parkerguitars.com/code/players/players_popup.asp?artist=24

And I don't know if it was you in the video you posted or not, but I can't say that I learned much from it.  Maybe if the person shooting it wasn't in the 16th row, or had a zoom lens, that might have helped.

Sorry if that was snarky... It's a Monday.

Gear:
Parker P-44, Takamine G-Series,  Digitech GNX4, Korg AX3A, Crate Powerblock 150, Various other assorted pedals and gizmos

God Bless!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 10:06:37 AM by mountaindewaddict »
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Body Language

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Body Language
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008, 10:14:21 AM »
quote:
the first person I ever saw play a Parker WAS Phil Keaggy.

That album called "On The Fly" where he is playong a Fly is a really good one!

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Body Language

Body Language
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 03:25:01 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Marossy
That album called "On The Fly" where he is playing a Fly is a really good one!

Yeah, I just bought a copy on Amazon today.  I have no idea why it has taken me so long to get that.  I also picked up a replacement copy of PK's "Acoustic Sketches" CD.  I loaned it out a long time ago and well, you know how that goes...  I just couldn't live without it any longer.  It's ESSENTIAL LISTENING if you play acoustic.[:D]

Gear:

God Bless!
Casey

Body Language

Offline ckyvick

Body Language
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 01:56:07 AM »
it was the point that you couldnt see them and the music should just speak for itself. if you dont know anything about cky you should get yourself a copy of IDR and find out what youve been missing on, if you want a more refined sound check out an answer can be found~

Body Language

Offline JSanta

Body Language
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2008, 07:11:05 AM »
When I was in high school a friend of mine loaned me three CKY cds and to this day I have never found them to be particularly interesting.  I would rather listen to Daniel Gildenlow play his Fly than any CKY song.  It's not to say they're bad, but they are not the best band on the planet by any means.

/jim

Miss Wormwood:  What State do you live in?
Calvin: Denial.
Miss Wormwood: I don't suppose I can argue with that...

Body Language

Offline Paul Marossy

Body Language
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 08:57:04 AM »
quote:
I also picked up a replacement copy of PK's "Acoustic Sketches" CD. I loaned it out a long time ago and well, you know how that goes... I just couldn't live without it any longer. It's ESSENTIAL LISTENING if you play acoustic.

I also have that CD. Phil is also an incredible acoustic player. I would say he is my only influence when it comes to acoustic playing. I haven't really played acoustic for years now...

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Body Language

Offline Steel Pelican

• http://www.modernwhaling.com
Body Language
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2008, 10:34:26 AM »
Why talk about it when I can show you?  For the record, none of my "super awesome stage moves" are rehearsed or planned.  Most of the time it's my gyrating flailing in a bad attempt to keep the beat.  My facial expressions, apparently, are the real money-maker.  

These shots are from Halloween 2006, when my band was the Rolling Stones for Halloween (I'm Ron Wood).  I lost a strap button on my Fly halfway through the show so had to go with the Les Paul backup.

Here, I'm clearly absorbed in that Bmaj. Doing my best "I'm totally into the music, man" hippy pose.  There's a very good chance that I was unconsciously dancing.  Again, this stupidity just sort of happens.  Looking at these pictures is like listening to a tape of yourself sleep-talking.  

Again, meditative and intent.  I think I'm trying to count the beats in "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'?"

And all dignity goes straight out the window.  Barre chords, apparently, fill me with a joy unparalleled by 1000 exploding suns.  Apparently.

-Greg
-----------
'97 Classic Fly, Trans. Red
Vox Tonelab SE
Mesa/Boogie .50 Cal
Genz Benz El Diablo 60c
Takamine TAN16C

Body Language

Offline Paul Marossy

Body Language
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2008, 10:48:32 AM »
Nice pics Greg. I like the third one. [:D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Body Language

Offline joeypazz

Body Language
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2008, 11:31:19 AM »
I am not really that good with the performance aspect.  Actually, I pretty much suck.  Some people just get out there and own the stage.  I wish I was like that.  I was classically trained, so learned to rock out whilst sitting in a chair with one leg propped up.  That doesn't exactly scream rock star.  I do much better when I am playing acoustic though.

Phil Keaggy does have a nice presence.  Looks pretty good playing that Olson too.  Another guy who does some similar percussive stuff to Phil is Preston Reed.  However, his stage presence is about as becoming as my left toe nail.  http://youtube.com/watch?v=t3mx6fsJFjw

I saw Dream Theater a while back, along with Satch and King's X.  Honestly, Ty Tabor put on a better show than all of them, even though he is the least technical proficient of those guys.  But I'll tell you what, his playing was really impressive.  He really seemed to pull out every note with passion.

Parker Fly Deluxe, Ibanez Custom, Breedlove Focus Maple, Rainsong DR-1000
Steinberger XQ4, Warwick FNA Jazzman
Bad Cat Cub II, VHT Pitbull, Mesa Rect-O-Verb, David Eden WT-300, etc.

http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa33/joeypazzalia/Gear/?start=all
Parker Fly Deluxe, G&L ASAT Z-3, Breedlove Focus Maple, Rainsong DR-1000
Steinberger XQ4, Warwick FNA, Wishbass Peanut Fretless
Bogner Shiva, VHT Pitbull, Mesa Rect-O-Verb, Fender Pro Reverb, David Eden WT-300, etc.

http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa33/joeypazzalia/Gear/?start=all

http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa33/joeypazzalia/Even%20More%20Gear/

Body Language

Body Language
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2008, 03:04:47 PM »
Hey Joey!  Welcome to the forum.  Can I just say, you have a sweet sounding gear collection!  I'm glad you liked the Phil Keaggy vid.  Of course, starting out on classical / acoustic, you'd probably already heard of him.  I get to see him in St. Louis on April 10 - I'm psyched!

Gear:

God Bless!
Casey

Body Language

Offline ckyvick

Body Language
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2008, 12:40:53 AM »
you have to at least give CKY credit for trying something different in a world of sameness~ and parkers are a big part of their sound. mostly octave pedals, but parkers too.