Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Body Language  (Read 5375 times)

Offline simonlock

Body Language
« on: January 30, 2008, 03:59:37 PM »
When you play, how much does the rest of your body get involved in the motions. Watching video of myself playing I seem to have a very stiff upper body. I suspect that it is taking away from the natural flow of the music my ears are intending. From watching other elite players I can see a lot of body language articulating the accents and phrases. Facial expression, spinal sway and head bobbing for the most part but it can literally involve your entire nervous system.

Would you say that it's important to get the body into it as much as your mind and hands or do you feel it's just extra fluff and just makes it more interesting to watch?

Simon
Vancouver,BC
2000 Fly Supreme
1998 Fly Supreme w/Jerome Little knobs
1999 Fly Artist w/Ken Parker sig and Jerome Little knobs
1999 Fly Artist custom refinished in dark walnut
2006 Fly Nylon w/Jerome Little knobs
2002 Fly Classic Hardtail
2006 Fly Classic
2006 Fly Mojo
1999 Fly Deluxe w/Gen1s
2001 MidiFly

Body Language

Offline 908ssp

Body Language
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 04:20:20 PM »
Simon watch a classically trained player you won't see  much movement. I wouldn't worry about it. You need to relax and if that means you stay still well that's you. Forcing yourself to move with the music won't look or work. Not all rock players move, Petrucci. Now Vai makes the point about putting on the show how he learned that from Zappa and Roth and if you're at the level it might be something to consider. I do think tapping your foot or rocking with the beat helps your groove.

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Body Language

Offline simonlock

Body Language
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 04:55:12 PM »
yes, well since I do plan to make my playing something that is seen by an audience at some point it may be a good investment of my time to incorporate. Petrucci is an awe inspiring player but isn't all that entertaining to watch. Vai to me is even more incredible but i feel his antics are a little to over the top and kind of fake at times. Satch has a great way of getting his body grooving.

Now the body language can be slight to extreme. Maybe when you really let go it'll be something that comes naturally. Some movement may not even be detectible but to the player can feel like an internal dance with the music you're creating.

As a side note, Martone has got some great faces and people really dig it when he does it.

Simon
Vancouver,BC
2000 Fly Supreme
2006 Fly Classic
2006 Fly Mojo
1999 Fly Deluxe w/Gen1s
2001 MidiFly

Body Language

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Body Language
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 05:02:01 PM »
I don't move much, either. I think the main thing is just to relax and do whatever feels best for you. I actually distract myself and find it harder to concentrate on what I am doing if I move around too much.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Body Language

Offline Lwinn171

Body Language
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 11:08:32 PM »
When I'm playing well, I naturally move in a way that has been dubbed "the Larry shuffle". If I'm playing really well, I get up on my tiptoes a lot. None of it is conscious, though. I used to move around more wildly, back in my younger days. It's all to do with how comfortable I am, any given night. Most of the time, I'm moving around a fair bit.

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic,1998 Classic
Boogie MK IV, Behringer ACX-1800, Zoom A2, various effects

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Body Language

Offline BrainWorm

Body Language
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 02:16:47 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FND9eDp4nE&feature=related

I like Amy Winehouse's body language on stage live. A combination of natural herself and learned stage mannerism. And her learned stage mannerism is so natural. Awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rakv-LKhdow&feature=related

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."

Body Language

Offline simonlock

Body Language
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 02:22:54 AM »
WOW her body language is dirty talk [:p] She could stand still and have my full attention.

Simon
Vancouver,BC
2000 Fly Supreme
2006 Fly Classic
2006 Fly Mojo
1999 Fly Deluxe w/Gen1s
2001 MidiFly

Body Language

Offline Paul Marossy

Body Language
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 03:38:29 PM »
I would bet that guitar player "body language" has a lot to do with a person's personality in general. If you're stoic as a rule, you probably will be on a guitar as well. Not true in every case, but I think it is in a lot of cases. Sometimes your alterego comes out when you get a guitar in your hands. But I'm not that type.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Body Language

Offline prjacobs

Body Language
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 05:49:19 PM »
Simon,
Get as high as Amy Winehouse does and you'll lose a great deal of inhibition, but you may be drooling instead of playing.  However, a drink or two, or whatever, in moderation, may give you some new insights into performing... Just don't do it every night. Having been there as a performer and as an audience member, I think that it really depends on the artist.  I worked with Meatloaf, who went nuts on stage, and with Edgar Winter and Roy Buchanan, who both basically stood there. They were being themselves, and it all worked.  If I'm really feeling an artist communicate, as a player, singer, songwriter, I don't care what they're doing, because they're successfully drawing me in.  If the style of music you're playing is "party" music, then it's your job to get the audience into a party mood, so sometimes the genre dictates performance perameters.  If moving around in any way gets you to be more expressive as a player, than it's valid, but if it's forced, the audience will know it and it will suck.  Of course, certain types of music, say, big hair rock, requires stupid, self serving poses to work...  Just think of it as theater...  Whatever you do, don't compare yourself to others. As with your music, do it on your own terms.
That's my 2 cents worth....

Body Language

Offline simonlock

Body Language
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 06:54:44 PM »
Thanks for the great replies guys. I think I'll try it out a bit and see how much I can move without it being a distraction.

Simon
Vancouver,BC
2000 Fly Supreme
2006 Fly Classic
2006 Fly Mojo
1999 Fly Deluxe w/Gen1s
2001 MidiFly

Body Language

Offline Paul Marossy

Body Language
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 07:02:38 PM »
quote:
They were being themselves, and it all worked. If I'm really feeling an artist communicate, as a player, singer, songwriter, I don't care what they're doing, because they're successfully drawing me in.

Bingo! It is kind of fun to watch people grimace and contort their bodies, though. [;)]

Like you said, they were just being themselves. To me, that is the key. [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Body Language

jwrooker

Body Language
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 07:14:44 PM »
Simon,

You might be too young to remember this movie, but like in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.."I'm better if I move".

John
But, Sell, Trade at The Garage Sale: http://www.jwrooker.com/garagesale
Parker Chat: http://www.jwrooker.com/mychat
Be Part of the Forum CD at The Music Project:  http://musicproject.ning.com
Say It Proud, I'm Old and I'm Loud!: http://www.loudoldguys.com

Body Language

Offline ckyvick

Body Language
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 10:57:34 PM »
yo dude it doesnt matter waht you do really. music you play should generally speak for itself, stage shows are just bonus. if moveing around doesnt do it theres many many tricks with the guitar, i just bought a stretchy guitar strap on ebay, consider guitar tosses as well perhaps(get strap locks first)? im one of the people that turns into something else when playing guitar usually so i don't have your problem.

i study classical but ive had my p44 much longer than that... for classical.. hardly any movement with a serious face, someone told me i looked pissed off haha...its all about loving the music an the more your into a song the easier it is to move around, like if you listen to it without playing it and you rock out to it, why not feel the same way while playing the song...if you hardly know the song its probably a good idea not to move around much, of if you have to concentrate.

Body Language

Offline loumt123

Body Language
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 11:46:21 PM »
depends what I'm playing and how I'm feeling. Sometimes I'll over emote for the music..not purposely, but just because it comes naturally and it's fun. If I'm jamming with someone on a blues tune I'll bend a note and pull the guitar out, dip down with it, and make a stupid face. I guess I'd say I'm a fairly relaxed player, and I do whatever comes natural and it happens to look good [:D]. Classical I'm usually pretty propper, jazz I do the head bob and weave on swing stuff. If you're feelin' it and not thinking about that stuff I think it's all good.

Body Language

Offline BrainWorm

Body Language
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 02:36:19 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjHQV-SuqNE&feature=related

There's Amy Winehouse playing guitar and singing. Not as much movement, not as much visual interest maybe. The face expressions are interesting but can an audience notice expressions on the face. I found her chord playing interesting, I started watching her guitar playing as much as watching her.