Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Les Paul as a jazz guitar  (Read 7836 times)

Offline cy2989

• http://chrisyoungportraits.com
Les Paul as a jazz guitar
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 09:54:23 PM »
Larry, sorry for highjacking the thread.

Offline TREVORT

• http://www.soundclick.com/trevorthompson
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 05:02:30 AM »
Chris, Yes I live near Cleveland. I am also sorry for the highjacking.
Looks like a great guitar!

2007 Parker Nightfly Mojo w/PRS pup's
Mesa lonestar  Traynor 50Blue
Mesa Triaxis tube pre. 20/20 Mesa tube amp
Mesa road series dual 12" v30 closed/C90 open
(on the way)

Offline laughinglarry

• http://www.myspace.com/larrysmithmusic
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 09:54:09 PM »
Chris,

No need to apologize, if I had ordered one of those I'd have hijacked about ANY thread to get the word out.  [;)]  Looks like a beautiful guitar.  [8D]

Paul and Rickey - thanks for the advice.  I put some Thomastik Infeld flatwound "Swing" strings on it - sweet.  I used a 12-50 set, and while I was prepared for the heft and feel, I didn't have a CLUE that the unwound strings would be gold.  [:0]  On this baby they are STUNNING!  [:p][:D]  (For those of you that don't know, the Les Paul Custom's are the ones with the large block inlay starting at the 1st fret, 5 ply binding, and all gold hardware.  Mine's Wine Red, but the color is so deep that you'd swear it's black unless seen in GOOD lighting, daylight, or stage lights.)

Here's a pic of mine in use back in '98 when I was in a blues band (and pre-Fly):

Not that I'm shallow enough to change strings just for their COLOR!  [;)][:p][:D][8D]  (Okay, so you all KNOW I AM shallow enough to do exactly that!)

I haven't played it through an amp yet, but the flatwounds have had the desired effect on my playing.  I CAN get through a song without doing a lot of bending, because I can't bend to the notes I'd normally be bending to!  [:I][;)]

And Bob, believe me, I trust that there's NOTHING a Fly's not capable of (or to be linguistically correct: I trust that a Fly is capable of ANYTHING [:)]).  But I've only got two of them, and they're both in use doing Postpunkpopfuncountryfunk.  The Les Paul is just hanging around.  This way, it's kinda like getting a new guitar, without the ensuing divorce... [;)][:p][:0][}:)][xx(]

Larry

2000 Fly Deluxe Single 2, '97 Fly Deluxe (with GK-2A), '07 Steinberger GM-7TA, '04 Steinberger GLB-2S, '89 Strat Plus, '92 Les Paul Custom, Ibanez Silver Series (Strat), Epiphone Dot, '65 Mustang, Yamaha BB3000AF, Peavey Foundation, Hamer Cruisebass
http://www.myspace.com/larrysmithmusic
www.myspace.com/karmagenerator

Offline prjacobs

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 06:44:29 AM »
Larry,
It looks like a beautiful guitar. Any guitar designed by Les Paul has to be great for jazz.  You may want to consider adding some gold shoes to go with the new strings.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 06:52:49 AM by prjacobs »

Offline cy2989

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 07:22:01 AM »
How do the flatwound strings sound in comparison to roundwound?

Offline JSanta

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 07:28:21 AM »
Well I love Les Pauls, and yours is simply stunning.  If you happen to record any clips, please share them with us!

/jim

Miss Wormwood:  What State do you live in?
Calvin: Denial.
Miss Wormwood: I don't suppose I can argue with that...

Offline prjacobs

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2008, 10:10:29 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by cy2989

You really have to try them and see what it does to your playing and sound.  To me they feel so incredibly smooth and soft on the fingers of both hands. The lack of string noise when moving around the neck really must be experienced and the lack of friction facilitates easy changes of position. I must confess, (and it feels so good to get this out in the open), that I don't have flat wounds on any of my guitars now, but I think I'm going to throw some on my old Jaguar.  Other than the obvious choice of jazz, I suddenly find myself playing rock in a more 50s style and also lots of country swing, something that I really enjoy.  I think every guitarist should try a set.  Just don't inhale!

Offline cy2989

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 10:43:33 AM »
I wonder if anyone has tried flatwound strings on a Fly?  Some don't like the bright sound characteristic of the Fly.  It seems like flatwounds would calm that down.  Can you imagine how that would feel?

« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 10:43:49 AM by cy2989 »

Offline jazzrat

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2008, 10:43:49 AM »
The TI's are my favorite flatwounds. Really soft warm tone and less tension than most. Good choice!

'02 Fly Classic Hardtail,'07 NiteFly Alder, Carvin Bolt Hardtail, Eastman 805 CE Archtop,  MIM jazz bass, Takemine '95 SC-132EC
Fly Classic, Ibanez AS-193, Eric Johnson Strat, Eastman AR403-CE, Cordoba Fusion 12 Maple, Fretless Jazz Bass

Offline jazzrat

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 10:47:02 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by cy2989

I wonder if anyone has tried flatwound strings on a Fly?  Some don't like the bright sound characteristic of the Fly.  It seems like flatwounds would calm that down.  Can you imagine how that would feel?

Chris, I have not tried flatwound strings but I have used GHS roller wound strings. They are pure nickel and are much smoother and warmer sounding than the typical roundwound string.
They sound great on a Fly.

'02 Fly Classic Hardtail,'07 NiteFly Alder, Carvin Bolt Hardtail, Eastman 805 CE Archtop,  MIM jazz bass, Takemine '95 SC-132EC
Fly Classic, Ibanez AS-193, Eric Johnson Strat, Eastman AR403-CE, Cordoba Fusion 12 Maple, Fretless Jazz Bass

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2008, 06:34:16 PM »
I have heard that the Thomastik-Infelds are tremendous, Jazzrat. I have been using them on Fretless bass guitars and they sound the closest to a real upright of anything else I've used.

Bob

2001 Parker Fly Single 2 Silver  â€¢ 1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline jazzrat

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2008, 08:21:53 PM »
I have a set of flats on my fretless also. They are by far my favorite bass string. I agree, they the cop the URB tone better than most other strings. I have the roundwounds on my archtop. I like them also, but would probably be using Elixirs if they had guages I need.
quote:
Originally posted by uburoibob

I have heard that the Thomastik-Infelds are tremendous, Jazzrat. I have been using them on Fretless bass guitars and they sound the closest to a real upright of anything else I've used.

Bob

2001 Parker Fly Single 2 Silver  â€¢ 1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com

'02 Fly Classic Hardtail,'06 Fender Texas Telecaster, Carvin Bolt Hardtail, Eastman 805 CE Archtop,  MIM jazz bass, Takemine '95 SC-132EC

Offline laughinglarry

• http://www.myspace.com/larrysmithmusic
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2008, 10:26:34 PM »
quote:

I've only done a little playing through my amp so far.  They're very mellow, but I wouldn't say "dull sounding" at all.  I don't know how much of that is flatwound, and how much is going from 9-42 to 12-50 though!

Okay, here are some "glamor shots" I snapped in the front yard today in case anyone's interested:

Still looks sorta black, even in sunlight...

There's the true color coming out - and dig the gold unwound strings against the hardware!

This guitar has the finest inlay work that I've ever seen on a Gibson.  Usually you get LOTS of epoxy filler (yes, even on the Customs - and keep in mind that this vintage is before Customs were out of the Custom Shop).  Dig the binding too...

And finally, one where you can see the body binding (although the sunlight whited it out a bit [^]) and a bit of the wood grain...

quote:
If you happen to record any clips, please share them with us!

Jim, just because I've got the guitar, doesn't mean I've got the chops... [:0][:I][:o)][B)][V]

[:p]

Larry

2000 Fly Deluxe Single 2, '97 Fly Deluxe (with GK-2A), '07 Steinberger GM-7TA, '04 Steinberger GLB-2S, '89 Strat Plus, '92 Les Paul Custom, Ibanez Silver Series (Strat), Epiphone Dot, '65 Mustang, Yamaha BB3000AF, Peavey Foundation, Hamer Cruisebass
http://www.myspace.com/larrysmithmusic
www.myspace.com/karmagenerator

Offline JSanta

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2008, 10:42:20 PM »
Well I should get around to recording something myself Larry!  I finally played loud enough today to have the guy next door to me in the barracks come over and knock on my door, but he just wanted to hear me better.  So of course, I played some Ozzy and Dream Theater and he went on his merry way haha.  

That is the most gorgeous LP Custom I have probably ever seen!  I think that wine red colour is just perfect.

/jim

Miss Wormwood:  What State do you live in?
Calvin: Denial.
Miss Wormwood: I don't suppose I can argue with that...

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2008, 10:48:19 PM »
Larry,  that is a beauty.[:p]

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup