Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Instrumental Songwriting Help!  (Read 10062 times)

Offline simonlock

Instrumental Songwriting Help!
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2008, 07:35:24 PM »
My goals aren't out of touch with reality I just want to pay the mortgage make CDs and become a sought after teacher and musician. I know I can if I can overcome my anxiety of people and recording devices.lol Oh and keep working my ass off like i have been.

Simon
Vancouver,BC
2000 Fly Supreme
1998 Fly Supreme w/Jerome Little knobs
1999 Fly Artist w/Ken Parker sig and Jerome Little knobs
2006 Fly Nylon w/Jerome Little knobs
2002 Fly Classic Hardtail
2006 Fly Classic
2006 Fly Mojo
1999 Fly Deluxe w/Gen1s
2001 MidiFly

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2008, 07:43:09 PM »
All I have to say is this: Picks, if you know Simon as you say you do, man up and tell him all that garbage to his face.  All of us picked up a guitar in order to express ourselves in the first place, which is a highly individualized ideal.  Who is any of us to dictate to the others how to take a journey that is really about self-expression?  'nuff said.

MountainDewAddict (Casey)

Gear:
Parker P-44, Takamine G-Series,  Digitech GNX4, Korg AX3A, Crate Powerblock 150, Various other assorted pedals and gizmos

"Remember, if at first you don't succeed, you're doing it wrong."

God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline simonlock

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2008, 01:05:35 PM »
This thread is really bothering me. Even with good intentions people can be unbelievably cruel. Kinda reminds me of my Mom. I didn't keep up with my guitar career because there was always someone there to tell me how the wolves were going to get me. I suppose people like that are everywhere and especially in a trade like music.

I was playing Malmsteen and Vai when I was 15. I could play a few Malmsteen tunes all the way through and a few Satch tunes too. I was even hired for my skill to learn and play a solo in a music video for Gino Vanelli that ran for a couple years on Much Music. Since I didn't have support or a direction to go with it and all my ideas seemed like a waste of time. Which is how picks made me feel. So I became a mechanic.

Guitar wasn't even a serious thing again for just over ten years. It was something i did but i just played the songs I knew and poured out my heart once in a while. But I didn't work like I do now. I worked hardest at bodybuilding and was obsessed with it. All the while I hated being a mechanic and having to be in such a negative environment with people spitting poison every day. It's cut-throat in a big flat-rate shop especially when it gets slow and guys can't pay the bills or feed their kids. They'd say anything to help you hate your job more so that you'll leave. Maybe that's what picks wants? Do you want me to quit or are you trying to be of assistance?

Seriously, I am a far better player and have a lot more potential than what I've put on youtube. I believe if I can create songs that it will give me a chance to hone my skills on riffs that repeat. All my playing has been improvising and playing something new to my fingers nearly every phrase. YOu'd be amazed what you can play when you set your mind to work through something. So I wonder what i can do if everything I play was meant to be played? Think of all those kids that can play "for the love of god" because they memorized it like robots. A person can play far beyond their improvised level.

This B S also taught me a lesson. To watch out for the poison spitters in this trade too. I'm not happy about it and right now feel like quitting but a small part of me wants to shred their heads off.

Simon
Vancouver,BC
2000 Fly Supreme
2006 Fly Classic
2006 Fly Mojo
1999 Fly Deluxe w/Gen1s
2001 MidiFly

Offline simonlock

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2008, 01:17:55 PM »
Picks you must have been the guy I met at Montmart just before christmas am I right? YOu seemed like a pretty nice guy. How bout we play nice ok?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 02:29:52 PM by simonlock »

Offline bno

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2008, 02:58:53 PM »
Simon,

The list of artists that got bashed, insulted and rejected is endless.  On the one hand you have to expose your soul in order to express yourself and on the other hand you have to have the inner strength to withstand withering assaults on your very essense.  Charlie Parker got kicked off the bandstand and thrown in the street.  Stravinsky's Rite of Spring was booed and universally lambasted at its premier.  Find your close inner circle that supports who you are and what you do and ignore the chaff and noise.  People from both sides of the aisle, successes and failures, will try to undermine you to protect their own insecurity.  Ignore them.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Offline simonlock

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2008, 03:07:35 PM »
Thanks BNO, It's good advice. I suppose it's just the reality of the industry and also I suppose the world. I do have a circle of friends that actually know what I've been through and how hard I've worked and how far I've come in a few years. They're always encouraging and happy to talk about what we're all up to.

I've heard players bash everyone including Satch,Vai, Malmsteen and even Martone. They all sounded like scared little rejects after their statements. Like they were protecting themselves from something.

Simon
Vancouver,BC
2000 Fly Supreme
2006 Fly Classic
2006 Fly Mojo
1999 Fly Deluxe w/Gen1s
2001 MidiFly
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 03:10:18 PM by simonlock »

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2008, 03:14:28 PM »
1+ bno

Come on Simon you cant really let idle comments from a stanger on a web thread get to you.

You will need to let a lot more phlem than that roll off your back to get where you want to be. I actually do think he is trying to help. Imagine what its like when you meet people who really want you to fail yourself.

At this point you shouldnt be doing this to win the admiration of others. You do it because you want to be true to yourself. These types of comments should have no effect whether they are positive or negative. If you feel you are where you need to be right now and you're not hurting anyone, what else matters?
Hang there and plug along until its time for the next thing.

In regards to your students remember: Any average guy can learn from a wise man. But it is a really wise man who can learn from an average guy.

You will learn from your students too if you are open to it.

A few Flys in my soup
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 03:17:18 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Offline simonlock

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2008, 03:48:22 PM »
Agreed Bill. I'll try. I'm thinking about avoiding this forum for a while though. Maybe to clear my head.

Simon
Vancouver,BC
2000 Fly Supreme
2006 Fly Classic
2006 Fly Mojo
1999 Fly Deluxe w/Gen1s
2001 MidiFly

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2008, 08:05:48 PM »
quote:
Any average guy can learn from a wise man. But it is a really wise man who can learn from an average guy.

You will learn from your students too if you are open to it.

I know from experience that this is a true statement. [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2008, 08:47:24 AM »
My guitar teacher, Steve Greene, has a sign above his head, that only students can read, that says, "You are the teacher..."

Bob

2001 Parker Fly Single 2 Silver  â€¢ 1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline simonlock

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2008, 09:14:32 AM »
Wow cool Steve couldn't read it but his students could? That's spooky Bob [:o)]

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2008, 10:00:42 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by simonlock

Wow cool Steve couldn't read it but his students could? That's spooky Bob [:o)]

LOL! Steve has ears in the back of his head, where others have eyes!

Bob

2001 Parker Fly Single 2 Silver  â€¢ 1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline Lwinn171

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2008, 12:56:14 AM »
Simon,

Man, I'm happy for you. You've made a positive transition, IMHO, and I hope it works out well for you. You're obviously well suited for what you're doing. My advice concerning instrumental writing is as follows.

Start a group. Try to arrange something simple at first... maybe bass and drums to start. Play together once a week, ideas coming from all. After a while, your instincts will engage, and you'll come up with stuff. Others can bring out great ideas, and are a good sounding board (pun fully intended) for your input. Pick interesting artist with whom you click. Keep it casual, but focus on getting 45 minutes worth of material. Now you have a gig. Playing live feeds me. Might do the same for you.

Also... did you mention you had a passing interest in woodworking? I get a lot of ideas while I'm doing something like sanding, wiping on a coat of finish. Maybe you should build yourself some shelves, a coffee table, something simple and rewarding. He11, I used to get music running through my head playing soccer... Take a walk. Shake up your listening habits. Any number of things could possibly trigger the part of your brain the muse inhabits. Listen for simple ideas and larger themes. I've found that relaxing, truly entering a mental state where worry and stress are gone, brings ideas in a flood. It isn't easy to get there (well, some are easier than others, and are usually considered vices, but meditation, yoga, reading Taoist poems, whatever gets you there )... but that's where the muse lives. At least in my brain.[;)]

P.S. My Dad was a professional mechanic in his early twenties (around the time I was born). At one point he worked for the Porshe-Audi dealer in Atlanta. He recently told me some stories about his experiences in a large shop. Well, I can see why that atmosphere would be nice to be rid of. Kudos, on what I'm hoping is a great new direction for you.[^]

Your pal...

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic,1998 Classic
Boogie MK IV, Behringer ACX-1800, Zoom A2, various effects
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 01:23:02 AM by Lwinn171 »

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Offline simonlock

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2008, 01:37:35 AM »
Lawrence your post was a pleasure to read man. I am a total softy and was nearly teared up recognizing our similarities. My father was also a mechanic for many years. He was a big part of why I took that path. When i was working with him on my first car it was a different kind of experience and the first time i really got to know him.

I have some big pains from lost family. I'd have a lot to say about it but am saving it for when I am better at writing. I wouldn't want to make something that didn't feel right.

The guy I hooked up with teaching is a real performer kinda guy and he's gonna get me out playing to cut my teeth and possibly get this to the next stage...

I'm so pleased to see this thread back on track and thanks Picks for some enlightenment even if the lesson was delivered to my sensitive ego. I try to be humble but you know how things can be.

Simon
Vancouver,BC
2000 Fly Supreme
2006 Fly Classic
2006 Fly Mojo
1999 Fly Deluxe w/Gen1s
2001 MidiFly

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2008, 06:38:21 AM »
Well of course I'm a real novice. But I do enjoy writing songs occasionally.

I've found that it is easier to stumble over cool melodies on the keyboard. For some reason its hard for me to let go and make up a melody to sing over guitar chords unless I already have the melody in my head.

Of course Larrys advice is fantastic. The few times I have sat down with an accomplished keybaord player we have come up with new good stuff right off the bat. I mean so quick we couldnt write it down fast enough.

Sometimes one plus one equals infinity.

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup