Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What string gauge do you use?  (Read 4501 times)

Offline AXEL

What string gauge do you use?
« on: February 20, 2008, 10:45:51 AM »
I have a 2000 Fly Classic. I use .009's on all my other guitars (strats, LP, Explorer, 335, etc) but I'm thinking the Fly might need a little more "resistance" string gauge wise. I know I can adjust the bridge or change springs but if I can get away with a thicker gauge of strings I'd rather go that way. I'm just not up to wasting $12 on a new set of strings (.010's)only to have to replace them with the original .009's if I don't like it.

So what do you guys use on your Flys (string gauge and corresponding trem spring gauge)?

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 12:01:56 PM by AXEL »

Online Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
    • http://www.DIYguitarist.com
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 11:00:46 AM »
I am using D'Addario XL120+ (.0095-.044) on my Mojo Nitefly. It's a nice compromise between a bigger sound and easy string bending. I didn't have to do anything to the nut, either. All it needs is a little lube on the nut at string changes.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline mojotron

• http://www.mojotronics.com
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 11:25:56 AM »
I'm using GHS Boomers Light (.010, .013, .017, .026w, .036w, .046w) on both my '07 NiteFly and '97 Fly.

I had the same impression of the Fly - need a tad bit more tension to give you the feel of a .009 set of strings on a normal guitar - and that is exactly right IMO. I also got a lot better action and the tone is awesome on the Fly as a result too - no thinness in that sound at all. Seems like a set of 10's on a Fly will give you the feel of 9's on a Strat. The 10's on my Fly just seem to play better than 9's.

The NiteFly is a little different - 10's on a NiteFly are much easier to work and give you a little fatter tone on a NF vs. a Strat/LP, but on a NiteFly the 9's or 10's seemed quite natural to me. I stuck with the 10's for now though: I play a lot of scales and stuff, which would be a little easier with 9's, but I still like the tone of the 10's and with single coil pickups string pull and intonation is more managable with 10's.

Offline dmackenzie

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 12:34:18 PM »
Personally, I'm a big fan of 9-46 on my nitefly, I get the easy of playing on my lighter strings, but still get a nice, beefier rhythm on my bigger strings.

Nitefly-M
Ibanez JS2000
Guild GAD 40C
LaPatrie Etude Classical
Fly Classic Tangerine
Nitefly-M
Twister Amps Dust Devil

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 12:47:45 PM »
I've been experimenting with custom gage sets. And I like what I am feeling. All along the lines of the light top heavy bottoms. My current favorite is 9,12,16,24,34,48 The thinking about a set like this is that it is graduated the string tension goes up as the gage goes up. Some factory gage sets actually have the B string with less tension then the high E string which I realize doesn't feel right. You can find all the tension numbers for different gage strings on the Daddario web site or down load the PDF here.
http://daddario.com/Resources/JDCDAD/images/tension_chart.pdf
[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline Jason Davis

• http://www.JasonDavisMusic.com
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 12:52:49 PM »
I'm diggin' the 10-52s.  I like the way they chew at my fingers...makes me feel like I really have to dig in & go for it.

www.JasonDavisMusic.com
www.myspace.com/JasonDavisMusic

2007 Jason Davis "JD-147" Signature Fly (http://www.jasondavismusic.com/jd-147.asp )
2005 custom PM-20G (prototype)
2004 Cherry Sunburst Nitefly Mojo Flame
1998 Antique Gold Fly Deluxe

...plus other picture postcards...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 12:53:39 PM by Jason Davis »

Offline number 2

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 01:15:52 PM »
i normally use 10s, sometimes ill do a heavier low e and a lighter high e.  but tension wise it will be the same amount of tension on the neck.

Occasionally 9s if im gunna be playing fast at shows and i know i need to.

Parker Fly Mojo Flame in Blue Burst and Koa Custom Shop Fly Mojo with black edges
Breedlove Custom Shop Grand Concert size / D'angelico 17 inch Excel / Alembic Custom 7 String Thing / Original PRS CE24
Two Rock Artist 100 watt Head and matching cab
Acoustic Image Focus II R Head
Suhr Straight Front 4x12 with scumbacks on the way
Parker Fly Mojo Flame in Blue Burst and Koa Custom Shop Fly Mojo
Breedlove Custom Shop Grand Concert size / D'angelico 17 inch Excel /
Alembic Custom 7 String Thing / Original PRS CE24
Two Rock Artist 100 watt Head and matching cab
Acoustic Image Focus II R Head
Suhr Straight Front 4x12 with scumbacks and eminence TR12-65s

Offline loumt123

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 01:40:59 PM »
9's on my nitefly. Sometimes I feel as if the high e is a little too thin, though. I'm currently looking for a pack of 9's with a slightly heavier high e string. If anyone comes across it, shout my way?

Offline jamrcat

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 01:55:08 PM »
quote:
9's on my nitefly. Sometimes I feel as if the high e is a little too thin, though. I'm currently looking for a pack of 9's with a slightly heavier high e string. If anyone comes across it, shout my way?
Go to Top of Page

I think you mean heavier low E string right? The Snake Oil Brand Alex uses I believe have such a set! I've been thinking about trying them. I've always been privy to heavy bottom, light top sets. I use to make them up myself to get the gauges I wanted. Now most music stores only sell sets in my area. [8)]

98' Fly Artist w/RMC (Thanks Dayn!)
93' Parker Fly Deluxe hardtail RP "Blackie" KP Signature (Thank You! Bob & Ken)
2FlyBob (Thanks Paul!)

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 02:20:19 PM »
You can order custom gage sets from SOB. You have to wait a couple weeks but they cost no more than the regular sets.

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline AXEL

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 02:32:03 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by cmpkllyrslf96

These custom sets are very common, Daddario, GHS Boomers, Fender, Erine Ball, etc, all make them. I believe they are .009 - 052. You should be able to buy them at any GC or Sam Ash. I use them on my 335 and Malmsteen strat (scalloped).

Offline AXEL

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 02:35:36 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by mojotron

I'm using GHS Boomers Light (.010, .013, .017, .026w, .036w, .046w) on both my '07 NiteFly and '97 Fly.
I had the same impression of the Fly - need a tad bit more tension to give you the feel of a .009 set of strings on a normal guitar - and that is exactly right IMO. I also got a lot better action and the tone is awesome on the Fly as a result too - no thinness in that sound at all. Seems like a set of 10's on a Fly will give you the feel of 9's on a Strat. The 10's on my Fly just seem to play better than 9's.

This is exactly how I feel, I'm glad to hear your conformation. I'm going to try and pickup a set of .010's tonight on the way home and check them out. I'll post the results.

Offline ZenFly

• http://www.dpopro.com
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 08:15:10 PM »
I have used '9s since buying my Classic in '99. I have them on my Mojo now and they work fine. I'm thinking of setting up the Mojo for downtuning to eflat if I do, I might go to 10s.
'99 Parker Fly Classic w RMC mod

'05 Mojo

Offline jazzrat

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 08:26:46 PM »
I am totally backwards. A lot of jazz guys bump up the treble strings one or two sizes to fatten the high end. That works for me. My favorite set is a 9-42 set with a 10 and 12 on the top.
Right now though I am using straight 9-42 Elixirs as the plated trebles seem to be a little warmer than most.

'02 Fly Classic Hardtail,'06 Fender Texas Telecaster, Carvin Bolt Hardtail, Eastman 805 CE Archtop,  MIM jazz bass, Takemine '95 SC-132EC
Fly Classic, Ibanez AS-193, Eric Johnson Strat, Eastman AR403-CE, Cordoba Fusion 12 Maple, Fretless Jazz Bass

Offline loumt123

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 09:14:46 PM »
No, I meant the high E [:D]. I couldn't use a 10 on the top...that's where it's thick enough for me. Thanks for the heads up on SOB strings...I wasn't aware they did custom orders. I'll definitely give it a shot.

On the archie, it's a different story. My new fave is La Bella Black Nylon tape wound strings. 12s. Every string except the high e and b have this awesome black nylon tape on it that feels great and sounds great. I prefer them to regular flatwound strings.