Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: High E string keeps unwinding on ball end!  (Read 13118 times)

Offline robbentrower

High E string keeps unwinding on ball end!
« on: March 06, 2008, 04:37:35 PM »
Parker Mojo. Tuned half step down to E flat. Using mixed gauges of strings, bought as singles:

This is like a couple super slinky, a few regular gauge, one bottom heavy. Brand of strings: D'Addario.

I'm always having the problem that the high E string goes out of tune with a bit of bending. I keep retuning, it goes out again. I don't use the whammy. I've got the lock stop on it. These are brand new strings. It went out of tune so much, I took the high E string off and as I suspected, it's unwinding at the ball end. I only have this problem with the D'addario brand, and only the 009. When I buy Ernie Ball sets, it never happens.

The tension is not even that high. I'm in E flat tuning! When this happened before, I used to just retune until the string finally snapped off at the ball end, and everyone told me "It's your Parker that's the problem. Must be a sharp edge somewhere that's cutting the string." No that's not the problem. The string is clearly unwinding from the tension, and if I had continued to tune it, it would have snapped off.

Is D'addario a cheap brand? Anyone else ever have this problem with high E unwinding? Any ideas on why this is happening?

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 04:46:51 PM »
Yes this has happen to me and others and has been discussed here before. A little solder on the winding will prevent it from happening and like you already found out not all strings do it. If you don't see enough answers in this thread do a search you'll find more to read.[;)]
[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 08:32:39 PM »
I have been using D'Addario strings exclusively for at least the last ten years and I have never had that problem. That's just strange...

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline AustinK

• http://www.myspace.com/todaystopstory19
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 09:42:19 PM »
This has happened to me also.  It might be a defective batch of strings.  I wrote to D'addario and they send me some free strings.
Parker fly mojo
Mesa mark III
Mesa half back cab

Offline Detonator

• http://myspace.com/detonator6
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 02:07:04 AM »
For me, It only seems to be a problem with the Ernie Ball strings.

98 Fly Classic (trans emerald green)
93 strat plus
05 Schecter tempest Custom
04 Takamine AN10
ENGL Powerball 100 head
Boogie Recto 4x12
Roland Microcube
Lots of FX
98 Fly Classic (trans emerald green)
93 strat plus
04 Takamine AN10
Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Mills Acoustics Afterburner 412b
Roland Microcube
FX

Offline caddman11

• http://www.picturetrail.com/caddman11
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 06:44:20 AM »
That's why I switched back to dependable Ernie Ball.
David
98 NiteFly
00 Fly Deluxe
01 Fly Classic
06 Southern Nitefly
85 G&L Broadcaster
2009 Silverburst Les Paul
Frenzel Deluxe Plus tube
VOX,Crate and Crown Power
http://www.picturetrails.com/caddman11
www.rockwithfox.com

Offline justwatching

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 08:33:29 AM »
It couldn't be the strings. It has to be Parker.[:p]

carpe vola
carpe vola
And remember, if you are ever lost, you are always directly above the center of the earth.

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 10:35:37 AM »
It doesn't happen with all strings. It doesn't even happen with all strings from a single manufacturer. So that kind of indicates it only happens with some strings. Not much evidence in that to blame the Fly I think?

I think it is poorly assembled string and it could be just some random variation in their tightness.

I have had it happen on other guitars and soldering to secure the ball end has been the cure for the problem for years 20 that I know of before there even was a Fly. Is the Fly more prone to it than other guitars? I wouldn't know don't play anything but Flys for years now.

Mind you unwinding is not the same as breaking at the ball. Two different problems. This might be the cause of breaking but not in my mind to unwinding.

[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline strumminsix

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 12:21:36 PM »
this happened to me as well recently (d'add strings).
what I wonder is if the whammy bar impacts the string winding at the ball.
I hear the string pitch change slightly and 'ping' noise as i insert it into the bridge.

Offline justwatching

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 12:29:10 PM »
sorry i forgot
:::caution justwatching humor:::

carpe vola
carpe vola
And remember, if you are ever lost, you are always directly above the center of the earth.

Offline Roland

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 09:10:53 AM »
We had a rash of this about a year ago.  My personal conclusion is that it was a manufacturing problem which went away.  Solder cured it on the batch of string I had, and it didn't happen when I bought a new batch of strings.

As for the problem with the top E breaking between the ball and the winding: I agreed with Alex.  For a few weeks I put a piece of plastic insulation tape around the top string to cushion it.  The problem disappeared with the next batch of strings.

At the time I was buying single top strings, so the problem might have been related, but I can't remember now.

Roland
http://www.misbehavin.org/
Roland
Read about 2008 India   http://mrspoppadum.blogspot.com/

Offline Eruption

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 09:18:09 AM »
This happened about 25 times with my old '06 Deluxe [D'addario 9-42s] and I tried switching to Ernie Ball 9-42s and then they broke at the headstock about 15 times. When I switched to Dean Markleys, neither of these problem ever happened again. Mind you I only had 2 sets of Dean Markleys on there before my replacement Deluxe showed up. Speaking of which, my new Deluxe has D'addarios on it now. I wonder how long before they will bite the dust and I can switch to my prefered brand, Dean Markleys.

'08 Deluxe  
'04 Yamaha RBX 774 Bass
'07 Peavey ValveKing 112 [Electric Signal]
'01 Yamaha DG-60 [Piezo signal]
Crybaby,W.A.R Dirt Preamp,W.A.R modded BOSS SD-1,W.A.R Lead Booster,Sabine Stereo Chorus,Zoom G2.1u [For recording]
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 09:19:13 AM by Eruption »
'07 Fly Deluxe- Dusty Black
'10 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus
'11 Suhr Modern Custom (ON ORDER)
'10 Mesa/Boogie Mark V head
'00s Randall MTS 2x12
TC Electronic Flashback Delay/ISP Decimator
...and some strange beautiful secrets...

Offline laughinglarry

• http://www.myspace.com/larrysmithmusic
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 08:36:43 PM »
Weird.  I've never seen a string unravel.  (Thank you Ernie Ball!)

I've run into strings breaking at the ball, but only on my black Deluxe so far.  And yes, it's only been with the Black Beauties.  (OUCH! [:0][B)][xx(])  Of course, it would HAVE to be the most expensive strings, and the ones that you can't get singles of...

Anyway, I'm pretty convinced that there's a burr in the bridge, and I was going to have at it when I had the Dremel out to fit the Steinberger Tuners.  But that ended up being a lot of work, and I never figured out exactly which Dremel tool I should use for de-burring inside the bridge.  Any suggestions?  I was thinking some kind of polishing stone, but how small would it have to be to get in there?  And would I run a significant risk of damaging the bridge (or maybe making the string break more often)?

Anyway, I'm happy to try something out and report back.  Just give me some fodder to try... [;)][:p][:)]

Larry

2000 Fly Deluxe Single 2, '97 Fly Deluxe (with GK-2A), '07 Steinberger GM-7TA, '04 Steinberger GLB-2S, '89 Strat Plus, '92 Les Paul Custom, Ibanez Silver Series (Strat), Epiphone Dot, '65 Mustang, Yamaha BB3000AF, Peavey Foundation, Hamer Cruisebass
http://www.myspace.com/larrysmithmusic
www.myspace.com/karmagenerator

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 09:25:20 PM »
quote:
...Any suggestions?...

It won't take much just the slightest chamfer will stop the breakage. Figure the recess for the ball was made with a drill that means the bottom angle is 60 degrees so you need some thing with more point even a drill bit hand sharpened so it has more point then just spun with your fingers will probably break the corner it shouldn't take more than that. I wouldn't use any power tools. Aluminum is soft it will cut very easy. You could spin an X-acto knife blade in there and take off the corner.
[^]

Alex

Alex

Offline Gorbyrev

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 05:57:44 AM »
Used D'Addario 9-42's for years but my Fly Deluxe unwound top E's like nobody's business. It got to the point that I was scared to bend a top E. The solder fix works and so does cyano-acrylate (Superglue) though watch your fingers. Eventually I switched to Ernie Ball Slinkies and have had very few issues.[:)]

'95 Fly Deluxe, Antique Gold
Rocktron Voodu Valve
Rocktron Velocity 120
Stereo heaven!
'95 Fly Deluxe, Antique Gold,
'98 NFV6 Nitefly, trans blue
Axe-fx Ultra - vintage tone now the Axe-Fx II is out!