Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Boston/North Shore - anybody here?  (Read 3925 times)

Offline guitargirl

Boston/North Shore - anybody here?
« on: March 07, 2008, 09:23:48 AM »
New member here - new musician, as well. Any assistance or ideas for connecting with guitarists in the Boston, MA area. I'm searching for an instructor. I'll travel a bit for a good teacher. Genres I love are bluegrass, classic rock. Aplogies if this is not the appropriate page for inquiries - with Parker roots in MA thought I might be in luck here!

Suzie

Offline baronthecat

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 11:16:14 PM »

Too bad German Schauss left for LA. He was a great teacher. He might be able to put you in the right direction...

www.germanschauss.com

If I've read the signatures right a few of us are from greater Boston area. I remember about 25-30 people at a speaking event Ken did at GC.
2005 Parker Fly Classic, transparent cherry.
2006 Parker Fly Custom, majik blue.

You could spend forever picking the right amp for each string.

Offline guitargirl

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 11:02:33 PM »
Thanks! Glad to see this site works - even if the German contact has gone. So great, sounds like there's a pretty good community here for a new guitar player. (I thought for a while there this was only a boys' club, with no replies [:I]

Offline Lwinn171

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 12:27:08 AM »
Hi Guitargirl, Welcome to the forum.  some advice, having been there and done it. Try going to gigs and talking to musicians. There must be tons of people doing interesting things in your area. There are many colleges in Boston, bound to be plenty of entry level band opportunities. I know people who've gone to see a bunch of bands, and said "that guy", "her", etc... talked to them and put a band together. Answering ad's on Craigslist will yield interesting, but unpredictable results. It's worth looking to see what the options are, though.

If you are auditioning with a group that's already established in any way, ask for some material of theirs to learn in advance, and prep well. If not, just try to find some people you mesh with in terms of musical taste, and start something.

Best of luck. If you really want it to happen, you can find people to play with. I highly recommend it. Playing live is, in many ways, one of the most rewarding things I do. Feeds my soul, it does.

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic,1998 Classic
Boogie MK IV, Behringer ACX-1800, Zoom A2, various effects

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Offline P e t e r

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 03:08:14 PM »
I know this is a little old but I don't usually get to this forum.  One answer might be Berklee.  You say you're a new musician, and I'm sure Berklee sounds intimidating, but I would think there are many players there anxious for a chance to do some instruction.  If not Berklee, maybe another local College or University with a Music program.

Offline spiked

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 12:19:17 PM »
Hello from Malden

and hello to the Parker forum. :)
seems like a really nice group here and the forums have been very helpful!

I'd suggest The Phoenix classified section as well. I remember it used to be full of 'need a guitar, bassist, singer...' type ads.

I'm not sure where you are musically, but don't hesitate to write with any questions you have...maybe I can help with some basics.

No one is born knowing this stuff! good luck! and don't stop playing! yep--it's very frustrating starting up, but you can do anything if you want to!

Peace!
and Thanks

Offline guitargirl

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 11:02:18 PM »
hey Spiked from Malden
nice to see someone local to me in MA

yeah, was out west for a bit, but back and looking for a teacher in the Haverhill/North Shore area

will try Phoenix

any leads for a teacher into bluegrass and rock

TIA
Suzie -
quote:
Originally posted by spiked

Hello from Malden

and hello to the Parker forum. :)
seems like a really nice group here and the forums have been very helpful!

I'd suggest The Phoenix classified section as well. I remember it used to be full of 'need a guitar, bassist, singer...' type ads.

I'm not sure where you are musically, but don't hesitate to write with any questions you have...maybe I can help with some basics.

No one is born knowing this stuff! good luck! and don't stop playing! yep--it's very frustrating starting up, but you can do anything if you want to!

Peace!
and Thanks

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 06:01:55 AM »
Welcome guitargirl. Sorry, I don't know anyone. Word of mouth is best but here is a quick Google search for some more ideas:

http://www.bbu.org/instructors.htm

http://www.pagemusiclessons.com/instruments/guitar-lessons.html

A few Flys in my soup
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 06:15:27 AM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Offline guitargirl

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 08:50:30 PM »
awesome, TY!

yeah, word of mouth,
hopefully someone will personally know a good teacher.

I started to work with someone in Texas, now wanting to get connections here.

peace
Suzie
quote:
Originally posted by Bill

Welcome guitargirl. Sorry, I don't know anyone. Word of mouth is best but here is a quick Google search for some more ideas:

http://www.bbu.org/instructors.htm

http://www.pagemusiclessons.com/instruments/guitar-lessons.html

A few Flys in my soup