Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: what custom dimarzio p/u's are in a fly classic?  (Read 5573 times)

Offline carscratchmelt

what custom dimarzio p/u's are in a fly classic?
« on: March 17, 2005, 09:47:59 PM »
just curious gang... what are the exact models or at least "modeled after" pickups in a fly classic. I have a 1996 fly classic with "dimarzio" humbuckers... just curious what I have exactly in this thing??? are they paf pro, paf's, super distortion, ect??? What are they!?!? thanks, Jack
“ I was born on a Sunday...by Thursday I had me a job”

Jack Wilson
-Graphics-
Flatwork Printing Service, est. 1986

#65532;

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 10:13:03 PM »
http://www.guitar.com.au/pickups/dimarzio/humbukers/parker_f_n.html
http://www.guitar.com.au/pickups/dimarzio/humbukers/parker_f_b.html

Here is a web site from a Store in Australia that explains some of the history and some info on the new Dimarzios for the Fly. It is better you read it there then for me to try and repeat it and get it wrong. I did talk to Eric I think at Dimarzio last week when I ordered the new pickups for my 96 Fly Deluxe. He worked with Parker in there development and he told me they are a darker deeper pickup then anything else they make.

1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
200? Parker NiteFly S/S/H
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline telecasterkid

• http://www.burningindecember.com
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 03:52:21 PM »
If I was a betting man I would say 1st generation Diamrzios Tone Zone and Air Norton like.......
:)
Also of note you find this from Ed Romans website.....

--------------------------------------------------------
Tech Notes:

Flys built since April of 1999 are equipped with DiMarzio newer Parker Fly Custom Neck #PHWP1, and Parker Fly Custom Bridge #PHWP2. These are identified by a DiMarzio logo, which is 5/8" long.

From 1993 through March of 1999 Flys had the original DiMarzio pickups, which were based on the Air Norton for the neck position and the Tone Zone for the bridge position. These are identified by a DiMarzio logo, which is 3/8" long. These were the same pickups that Music Man was using in their Axis type model or earlier EVH but they sound worthless and weak in the Fly

Ed Roman
-----------------
I would definitely check this out with both Dimarzio and Parker to be sure. I can tell you this. I replaced the pups on my 97 Deluxe and you can see some difference in the logo on the old pickups vs. the new. I guess I should've measured them to be exact.

My '98 Classic still has the older pickups with the smaller "Dimarzio" logo when compared to the newer replacements that I just bought. I went with the stock PWPH1 and 2 which are very close to the Tone Zone and Air Norton. I have had exactly zero problems with them. Big, Huge improvement on my deluxe with output and clarity.

If it gets a little to bright for some things I turn down the tone knob a wee bit and adjust my amp if necessary. Not a bad investment and they retro fit with NO modifications!!! I was not going to send my guitars off to Ed Roman in Las Vegas and hope they came back in one piece. Sorry!!! Plus I have always been a Dimarzio fan over duncans anyways. There are some other threads started here about this subject and some of the administrators on this forum work at Parker and are a great source of information.

Dig around and ask questions.

Good Luck,
Kevin S.
www.burningindecember.com
Kevin Schertell
www.myspace.com/burnin12
CD "No Way Out" Available now!

Music Boulevard, Inc.
1232-2 Blanding Blvd.
Orange Park, Fl. 32065
904-276-2520
musicboulevard@earthlink.net
Owner/President

Offline carscratchmelt

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 08:57:06 AM »
where did you find the ed roman info on parker's dimarzio history??? I looked and looked and all I could find was seymour stuff. my pickups... the word "dimarzio" measures over ( just a little) over 5/8"... what does this mean??? I did date it and it is a 1996... Thanks, jack

Jack Wilson
-Graphics-

#65532;

Offline telecasterkid

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 03:55:01 PM »
Jack,
Here you go. http://www.edromanguitars.com/guitar/parker/pickup_prk.htm

If you are not the original owner then maybe the previous owner changed the pickups to the newer Dimarzios. If you are the original owner then the biggest noticable difference that you will find is the split coil (middle position) sounds fuller and the output between the neck and the bridge output is more balanced. This is to my ears mind you. They newer pickups sound like they just have more oomph to them. My Deluxe is a 1997 and my CLassic is a 1998 and they both had the smaller print Dimarzio which translates to the older pickups. If you are still having a hard time determining call Parker and/or Dimarzio for clarification.

Kevin S.

Kevin Schertell
www.myspace.com/burnin12

Music Boulevard, Inc.
1232-2 Blanding Blvd.
Orange Park, Fl. 32065
904-276-2520
Owner/President

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 10:49:27 PM »
I don't hear any difference between the pickups on my 96 deluxe and my 98 classic and I don't believe there is any. There is a second generation Dimarzio as of 1999 and the SD that came in the Mojo. I am still waiting for Dimarzio to deliver the second generation Dimarzios I ordered a couple of weeks ago. I was told by SD custom shop that they could not sell me the Mojo pickups as they would not fit my guitar and that if I wanted SD pickups I would have to send in my pickups to be rewound. The Web site I linked above does a better job describing the Parker Fly Dimarzios then Ed Roman.

1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 10:50:10 PM by 908ssp »
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline telecasterkid

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 02:56:09 PM »
I didn't want to make it blatently obvious but I have heard the same thing from many people and friends over the years. I personally have never had any dealings with him and it is not in my habit to talk like that. I just decided that all the bad outweighed the good and I would not take a chance on something happening to my Parkers.

I do however think (at least to my ears) there is a tonal difference between the original and the new PWPH1&2's from Dimarzio. It made an immediate differnece in my Deluxe and I am getting ready to replace the pups in my Classic in 3-4 weeks. Don't worry you will get them. Dimarzio treated mine like special order and had to amke them because they didn't have any in stock. I think all told from the time I ordered them it was about 3-4 weeks before they came in. It was worth the wait for me. I am hopeful that you won't be disappointed.

Good Luck!!
Kevin S.
Kevin Schertell
www.myspace.com/burnin12

Music Boulevard, Inc.
1232-2 Blanding Blvd.
Orange Park, Fl. 32065
904-276-2520
Owner/President

Offline carscratchmelt

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 06:40:44 PM »
talked to a guy named eric at dimarzio today to see what he thought...he diagnosed my pickups as being the older ones - air norton/tone zone. He said that those pickups should have never really been put into a parker classic.... that those parker pickups were entirely too dark and that they were designed to best be put in the deluxes... here is what he recommended... take the air norton in the neck and put it in the bridge position and then to put a paf pro in the neck!!! sounds good to me... hell, the guy is even trying to save me money!!! he said I could play around with the pickup combinations y'know... paf-neck, air norton-bridge or paf-neck and tone zone-bridge... my choice but to get that neck pickup else where because it is too muddy for that guitar... so that made me feel good.

Jack Wilson
-Graphics-

#65532;

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 07:05:06 PM »
Do you find your Classic is noticeably darker then your Deluxe? I have a both and don't find that to be true. As a mater of fact I was disappointed that the Classic was not darker, I thought it was overly bright too. I have a good friend excellent player who also couldn't hear any noticeable difference between them. I wouldn't argue with Eric he advised me to get the new Parker Dimarzios because I wanted something darker, weird that he would advise you to get something brighter unless that is what you asked for?

1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
Alex

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 06:13:37 AM »
very interesting discussion concerning 1st and 2d gen dimarzios in deluxes and classics and the change in tone  after upgrading to 2d gens.  I'm trying to digest this with respect to my 98 artist with 1st gen pups.  any comments on any benefit an artist might derive from a 2d gen upgrade? ... or switching the neck 1st gen to the bridge?

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2006, 08:19:15 AM »
I have a 2000 Artist, a 1999 Deluxe (with new pickups) and a 1998 Classic with old pickups. The differences in sound, subtle, though they may be:
Deluxe - Sounds "tighter" and more focused when played clean
Artist - Sounds "big" with more sound in the lower and higher ranges, but not due to a midrange deficiency
Classic - Bright and dark all at once - seems to take more playing "oomph" to get as much sound out of it. Maybe missing something in the mids.

As I say, these are all very subtle differences which are easily "corrected" or "overcome" with simple MINOR adjustments in the gain and EQ (in case you have one at a gig, and were wishing for one of the others). In general, for clean lead work in recording, I prefer the Artist with the newer pickups. For live, I prefer the Classic or Deluxe (which also has the GK internally-mounted Roland pickup, done by DiBurro).

Bob Martin

2000 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  *  1999 Parker Fly Deluxe w/DiBurro Roland Mod Metallic Red  * 1998 Fly Classic in Emerald Green (thanks, Jim!)  now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. *  www.rtmadvertising.com
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 08:21:06 AM by uburoibob »
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline simonlock

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2006, 09:17:06 AM »
I just got a new Nitefly SA and I noticed that the bridge humbucker has a different pickup than my Nitefly M. The SA seems to have a higher end pickup as all the pole pieces have a hex hole in them just like the Fly Classic does. The M has a row of standard slot poles and a row of flush poles.

Anyone know if the SA has a bridge pu from one of the Fly models?

Offline rt0412

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2006, 12:39:31 AM »
I hate to disappoint you... but the poles in the pickups whether hex poles or the more widely used PAF-style poles (slotted adjustable and fixed slug poles) have nothing to do with their being high-end.

DiMarzio was the one I think that really started using those hex poles way back in the 80's with their Super-Distortion pickups and other succeeding modern design pickups. The PAF-style poles goes way, way back in the 50's. DiMarzio also employs the PAF-style poles with some of their PAF style pickups.

By the way, during the early years (90's), Parker used DiMarzio's pickups with hex poles exclusively.

I don't think the NiteFly SA used any of the bridge pickups from the Fly series... if I'm not mistaken, there's no Fly model with a Swamp-Ash (SA) body/Mahogany neck combination. The designers usually pick what they think would be the "best" pickups for a particular body/neck wood combination. They're sometimes wrong... that's why after-market products exist.

quote:
Originally posted by simonlock

I just got a new Nitefly SA and I noticed that the bridge humbucker has a different pickup than my Nitefly M. The SA seems to have a higher end pickup as all the pole pieces have a hex hole in them just like the Fly Classic does. The M has a row of standard slot poles and a row of flush poles.

Anyone know if the SA has a bridge pu from one of the Fly models?

Offline bostjan

• http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_L3tSnijvtzp0yjselCuPrmUti1/crMEW
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006, 11:34:34 AM »
Hmm, my classic sounds notably darker than my deluxe.  But I have the trem blocked on the classic, so that might contribute.

Offline simonlock

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2006, 06:15:33 PM »
The neck on the new Nitefly SA is now maple. My Dimarzio Paf Pro in my Js1000 has hex poles. I realize it doesn't make the pickup better I just noted that it was different than my M and similar to my Classic. Seeing as they have customs for almost every model I was thinking that maybe they just took one from say a Deluxe or whatever and slammed it into the SA.