Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: what custom dimarzio p/u's are in a fly classic?  (Read 5572 times)

Offline rt0412

what custom dimarzio p/u's are in a fly classic?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 06:59:01 PM »
A tech from DiMarzio commented that the bridge pickup for a S/S/H configuration has to "blend well" with the single-coil pickups. That means the output cannot be too high and that the tone cannot be too dark or too midly.

But you maybe right, a somewhat brighter bridge pickup with moderate output from any of the Fly series could possibly find their way into a NiteFly SA.

quote:
Originally posted by simonlock

The neck on the new Nitefly SA is now maple. My Dimarzio Paf Pro in my Js1000 has hex poles. I realize it doesn't make the pickup better I just noted that it was different than my M and similar to my Classic. Seeing as they have customs for almost every model I was thinking that maybe they just took one from say a Deluxe or whatever and slammed it into the SA.

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2006, 09:44:46 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by rt0412

But you maybe right, a somewhat brighter bridge pickup with moderate output from any of the Fly series could possibly find their way into a NiteFly SA.

Except that they don't use the same back plate. They mount in a totally different manner. [^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline rt0412

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2006, 11:47:33 PM »
Good point... so the chances of any Fly pickup making it to a NiteFly is nil, right? It's possible though for DiMarzio to make the same model of pickup for both the Fly and NiteFly, only with different mounting plates. Who knows? Maybe we should ask DiMarzio...

quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp

Except that they don't use the same back plate. They mount in a totally different manner. [^]

Alex

Offline simonlock

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2006, 09:05:34 AM »
maybe Parker should start naming their custom pickups so we can keep track.  
quote:
A tech from DiMarzio commented that the bridge pickup for a S/S/H configuration has to "blend well" with the single-coil pickups. That means the output cannot be too high and that the tone cannot be too dark or too midly.

My SA does have lower output...alot like my JS Ibanezs with the FRED HB. BTW the PAF JOE is an awesome neck pickup.

Offline rt0412

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2006, 02:01:32 PM »
You hit it! I have a NiteFly NFV2 and eons ago I took out the bridge pickup and replaced it with something else because "its a bit weak and trebly" for my ears. After that nothing seems right anymore... I keep on experimenting with different pickups but was never happy. So, it got played less and less.

When I was reviewing all the "spare" pickups that I have, I came upon a DiMarzio pickup with "B2" etched on the back plate. It was the bridge pickup that was plucked out of the NiteFly NFV2. I got curious so I asked DiMarzio what stock pickup would most closely resemble the "B2". I think it was Steve Bulcher who answered the inquiry. He said the "B2" was based on the FRED but with a bit more presence to blend well with the single coils! I guess Parker maintained the same bridge pickup or similar variations of the FRED for NiteFlys with S/S/H configuration. The NiteFly's NFV2 maple body/basswood neck combination  and the SA's swamp ash body/mahogany neck combination would sound pretty close to each other. The Southern NiteFly's & P-36's Ash body/maple neck combination would be brighter (maybe way too bright for some people).

I do have a PAF Joe and a Mo' Joe is currently on order. I'm planning to put the pair in my PRS SE Custom to get close to that JS sound... or maybe SA?

quote:
Originally posted by simonlock

maybe Parker should start naming their custom pickups so we can keep track.  
quote:

My SA does have lower output...alot like my JS Ibanezs with the FRED HB. BTW the PAF JOE is an awesome neck pickup.

Re: what custom dimarzio p/u's are in a fly classic?

Offline alan clare

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2018, 12:13:11 PM »
I have a Classic which was made - April 27th, 1999.

The logo on the pickups measures 5/8", so I presume them to be 1st generation.

They are both 10.1 k dc resistance.

I am about to buy a Deluxe, which was made - Feb 7th, 1999.

Guessing that it will be fitted with 1st generation pickups?

Offline dspiffy

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2018, 03:48:40 PM »
Around that era it seems like it could go either way.