Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Revelation  (Read 8812 times)

Offline prjacobs

A Revelation
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2008, 09:37:30 PM »
Simon,
I'll email you some mp3s.  

Paul

A Revelation

Offline simonlock

A Revelation
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2008, 11:40:58 PM »
Awesome!

Simon
Vancouver,BC
A Whole Mess of Flys and I Love Them ALL!!!!!

A Revelation

Offline larrybgoode

A Revelation
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 11:07:31 AM »
Feel is great.  Enough technique to capture feel at rhythmic tempos is great. Technique for the sake of technique is not so great.  Personally, I'd rather listen to David Gilmour than Yngwie run diminished and harmonic minor scales any day of the week.  Somebody dissed Joe Satriani a bit here.  I would defend shredders of the magnitude of Joe or Steve Vai.  Give a listen to Joe's Summer Song or Flying in A Blue Dream or Steve's For the Love of God, and tell me these guys don't have "feel".

A Revelation

Offline simonlock

A Revelation
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 11:27:55 AM »
agreed Larry. I think that the folks that don't like satch and vai much just heard the wrong songs. The RANGE these two have got is like listening to 10 genres played by each artist. That was another thing that made me a devoted fan for so long. If you didn't like the punk/acid freakout you could love the asian/pop/funk or the jazzy ballad. If any rock guitarist is driven more by the feel than Satch I haven't heard of them or they don't produce enough to be recognized as that versatile.

Simon
Vancouver,BC

A Revelation

Offline tildeslash

A Revelation
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2008, 12:45:02 PM »
Simon - I agree with your discovery.  I too am stiff when I play so I stop and walk for a few minutes and then sit right back down and start playing again.  The tension is minimized and I see and feel my playing improve.  I have been doing this for so long that I feel everybody does it - like it's common kowledge.  I am glad you posted this as I felt this was common knowledge and that if I mention it - I would feel stupid.

You writing about it makes sense and I hope it helps others.

A Revelation

Offline larrybgoode

A Revelation
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2008, 05:03:00 PM »
As long as we're on the topic of emotional playing and the merits (or not of speed), I have two examples to cite.
One B.B. King...nobody can make just one not sing and cry like B.B. and his mistress Lucille.
And sometimes, the most emotional note of all can be silence.  Listen to someone like Ry Cooder when he's getting all movie soundtrack with his bad self.  Or my personal favorite "no note".  It's in Billy Gibbons lead on LaGrange.  There's a lick toward the end where he leaves out a note that he's set you up to anticipate hearing and it gives me goosebumps everytime.  Kind of like laaaaa..la..la..( )  laaaaa...ladala ladala laaaaa.
Fun topic to discuss.  I enjoy you guys.
Larry

A Revelation

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
A Revelation
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2008, 07:22:36 PM »
Just so's it's clear - I didn't dis Joe - I just said I don't really care for his stuff. That's all. It's me. I gotta think that a lot of you probably don't like the Cramps, but I love them. Or Neil Young - I think he's a brilliant songwriter AND guitarist.

Just different strokes for different folks.

Bob

2001 Parker Fly Single 2 Silver  â€¢ 1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

A Revelation

Offline Yoyo

A Revelation
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2008, 06:24:57 AM »
I listened to "Flying In A Blue Dream, Summer Song and For The Love Of God" and I think this little low tech off the cuff number from Peter Green has more feel than all three of them put together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivS5wjwGbn8&feature=related
The only thing that exists is this moment now.

A Revelation

Offline Gorbyrev

A Revelation
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2008, 06:33:18 AM »
What! Flying in a Blue Dream just about leaves me in tears - every time as does For the Love of God. Simon - great for the feel. But feel and technique are Remus and Romulus to guitar playing. Just for a demonstration of a guy with stellar technique and great feel here is Paul Gilbert playing lounge lizard favourite, Fly me to the Moon - yes you read right - enjoy[8D]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVFa2iuKmFw

'95 Fly Deluxe, Antique Gold
Rocktron Voodu Valve
Rocktron Velocity 120
Stereo heaven!
'95 Fly Deluxe, Antique Gold,
'98 NFV6 Nitefly, trans blue
Axe-fx Ultra - vintage tone now the Axe-Fx II is out!

A Revelation

Offline Yoyo

A Revelation
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 08:55:33 AM »
Gorbyrev we may disagree over the Vai/Satriani offerings, but I concur on the Paul Gilbert piece.

At the start of Flying in a Blue Dream I thought this is going to be good, but then he launches into a scalefest all at the same pick attack level and the trail went cold. Similarly when the orchestra opened For the Love of God it sounded beautiful then in comes Mr Vai whith another scalefest also all at one level though he did play softly right at the end. Somehow to me feel incorporates range of attack  and delivery(evident in Paul Gilbert's demo). It incorporates light and shade, breadth and depth, variation etc.

What fatigues me with these technical wizards is the singularity of level. Technically advanced, but emotionally facile.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 09:55:18 AM by Yoyo »
The only thing that exists is this moment now.

A Revelation

Offline simonlock

A Revelation
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2008, 11:11:41 AM »
Good. This proves something to me. That not every person is going to feel the emotion in a particular player. Because if it's not felt in Vai or Satch then you wont hear it in me either. I have feel and I'm sick of people telling me I don't. It's just not the same as everyone elses because my goal from the start was to not be like anyone else.

Simon
Vancouver,BC

A Revelation

Offline danjazzny

A Revelation
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2008, 11:21:30 AM »
So true Simon. Be true to yourself. [^]

'05 Mojo++'95 Deluxe++'98 Classic++'97 Artist ++'99 Simonized Artist++Flextone3++SpiderValve 212
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

A Revelation

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
A Revelation
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2008, 11:24:30 AM »
quote:
my goal from the start was to not be like anyone else.

My goal also. It's harder to accomplish than it seems, but I wouldn't change a thing about the road I have traveled - because it's what I want to do. [^]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

A Revelation

Offline simonlock

A Revelation
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2008, 11:54:46 AM »
Another thing that makes a player sound like they don't have feel is dynamic range. When you add a lot of gain to a guitar you lose MOST of that range. You guys that play mostly clean I suppose forget this. The dynamics are compressed to be basically flat. But without it here wouldn't be enough sustain to make the lines sing.

My GNX3 compresses EVERYTHING and I can't get any dynamics through it unless I go clean. But if I go clean I get those annoying loud notes that are way too loud and quiet notes that are way too quiet. It just reacts totally different.

I'm starting to think it's more about what feel each person wants to hear. My feel is weird and most won't get it. I'm happy about that. Yoyo made this very clear by his post and really highlights how different our perceptions are. I don't get that authentic blues sound. I find it very unappealling. But some guys jones for it and won't accept anything else. Some guys think Vai and Satch are THE shiznit. I forgot where I was going with this.

It's all so frustrating that I feel like burning my guitars.

Simon
Vancouver,BC

A Revelation

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
A Revelation
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2008, 12:19:43 PM »
quote:
Another thing that makes a player sound like they don't have feel is dynamic range. When you add a lot of gain to a guitar you lose MOST of that range. You guys that play mostly clean I suppose forget this. The dynamics are compressed to be basically flat. But without it here wouldn't be enough sustain to make the lines sing.

Yep, it's a delicate balancing act to get a singing sound without losing the dynamics. I hate using compressor pedals, though. IMO, they totally kill any dynamics that you have left. I never use a compressor, I hate them. [V]

quote:
It's all so frustrating that I feel like burning my guitars.

I know the feeling. Been there, almost done that. [;)]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams