Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Revelation  (Read 8813 times)

Offline TomL

• http://www.MystikNRG.com
A Revelation
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2008, 01:59:42 PM »
Wow Yoyo, Thanks for that. I thought I had seen most Wes clips but I missed that one somehow. I don't even want to get started about Wes. To me he is/was one of the finest players ever. The feel, swing, chops... see now you got me going...ANYWAYS, for those of you young whippersnappers out there who have never experience Wes Montgomery, don't put it off any longer. "Smokin' At The Half Note" (CD) is one of the most inspired examples of emsemble (and solo) playing around. (Wes, recording with the Wynton Kelly Trio. Miles Davis's back up group at the time) Bring a change of shorts...[:p][:D][:p][:D][:p][:D]

Tom

98 Fly Classic Trans Red
99 Fly Jazz Trans Red
97 Fly Concert Trans Butterscotch

Those who can, do. Those who cannot, usually run the monitor mix.

www.MystikNRG.com
Tom

98 Fly Classic Trans Red
99 Fly Jazz Trans Red
98 Fly Artist Trans Butterscotch

http://www.MystikNRG.com/

A Revelation

Offline simonlock

A Revelation
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2008, 03:31:31 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by uburoibob

Who says you don't have feel?

Many people have. Even people whose opinion I respect. I do have my doubts mind you and feel that it may be because I tend to bury my emotions any time a)someone is listening or b) the red light is on. It's funny because I'll be in the middle of a great feeling groove, hit record to capture it and BAM! my brain turns to instant oatmeal that has had too much water added.

My ability to tap the groove/emotional areas of my brain in order to share with others is something I'm going to have to work on. I get the impression that working as a professional musician forces one to forgo a lot of hangups to surrender to the groove more and tap that emotional voice quicker and on que. However I have not had much opportunity to be stressed in this way and so take the self indulgent approach to my music. When it's time to share I hide it away.

Simon
Vancouver,BC
A Whole Mess of Flys and I Love Them ALL!!!!!

A Revelation

Offline Lwinn171

A Revelation
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2008, 04:21:59 PM »
Simon,

I think you are on to something here, and it's something I've mentioned to you before. Get yourself a talented group to play with, and play some live shows. It is especially helpful (for me anyway) to have certain parts (solo's and such) be ambiguous, and therefor improvised. Sometimes a solo may have a way in, and a way out, with a creamy center of undefined ingredients. You get the benefit of hearing others evolve their own parts, and your parts may change to reflect what's happening around you, inspiration-wise.

I'm not saying that it's a necessity, playing live. But I think it would really help you, as it would improve some of the aspects of your playing that you've identified as lacking in some way (whether identified by you, or others). I have exactly the opposite problem. I'm a terrible practicer. I lack clean, speedy, super accurate technique. Partially because I'm not really inspired to play that way, but mostly because I'm too lazy to put in the time. I can play some tough stuff, mind you... but nothing that would impress anyone who knows much about advanced technique.

But I've played a lot of live shows, lead guitar in various acts over 20 + years. And I play better live, usually, than I do in my living room. I simply feed off the energy of performing, and get a lot of emotional content from that energy. Learning to turn the nerves into a positive creative energy is the key, for me.

Sufficed to say, I could benefit from your approach, and I think the reverse may well be true as well.

PS. I think my approach is self indulgent [:0]
I would also add that "feel" is purely subjective and is far too internalized in each of us to make meaningful comparisons. The players I think of when you say "feel" are very likely not the players someone else will think of. And that's OK.

Your pal,

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic,1998 Classic
Boogie MK IV, Behringer ACX-1800, Zoom A2, various effects
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 04:29:49 PM by Lwinn171 »

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

A Revelation

Offline TomL

A Revelation
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2008, 04:58:49 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by simonlock

quote:
Originally posted by uburoibob

Who says you don't have feel?

Many people have. Even people whose opinion I respect. I do have my doubts mind you and feel that it may be because I tend to bury my emotions any time a)someone is listening or b) the red light is on. It's funny because I'll be in the middle of a great feeling groove, hit record to capture it and BAM! my brain turns to instant oatmeal that has had too much water added.

My ability to tap the groove/emotional areas of my brain in order to share with others is something I'm going to have to work on. I get the impression that working as a professional musician forces one to forgo a lot of hangups to surrender to the groove more and tap that emotional voice quicker and on que. However I have not had much opportunity to be stressed in this way and so take the self indulgent approach to my music. When it's time to share I hide it away.

Simon
Vancouver,BC
A Whole Mess of Flys and I Love Them ALL!!!!!

I can't find any examples of your playing here, so I really can't hear what you are talking about in your playing, but what I do notice is that you are psyching yourself out, whenever you say (even to yourself)..."my brain turns to instant oatmeal that has had too much water added....Etc etc" and that type of thinking. Say it, or think it enough times, and presto, it's true.
Dr Phil here, signing off...
[:I]

Tom

98 Fly Classic Trans Red
99 Fly Jazz Trans Red

www.MystikNRG.com
Tom

98 Fly Classic Trans Red
99 Fly Jazz Trans Red

A Revelation

Offline larrybgoode

A Revelation
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2008, 05:35:10 PM »
Man now that's what I call some healthy debate!  I respect all of your opinions.  Interesting is how we all cite different specific artists and songs which then encourages us to give a listen to something we may have not been familiar with.  And it mixes into the pot and either consciously or subconsciously influences each of our own unique individual musical voices.  And before anyone debates this point, for example - "I listened to (insert song/artist here), and I hated it and that would never influence my unique voice."....well I would offer that it actually has, even if only by your avoiding what you didn't like when you compose or improvise.  Long live musical diversity!

A Revelation

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
A Revelation
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2008, 08:22:59 PM »
quote:
I tend to bury my emotions any time a)someone is listening or b) the red light is on. It's funny because I'll be in the middle of a great feeling groove, hit record to capture it and BAM! my brain turns to instant oatmeal that has had too much water added.

That sounds a bit like something Allan Holdsworth would say. The part about the red light anyway. I can relate, though, I have had those same struggles (and still do I think).

quote:
I get the impression that working as a professional musician forces one to forgo a lot of hangups to surrender to the groove more and tap that emotional voice quicker and on que.

That has some truth to it, at least from my observations in my relationships with pro/ex-pro musicians I have known over the years. My friends often had to play music they didn't even like much, but they did what they had to do.

quote:
When it's time to share I hide it away.

That simply needs to stop. What if Satriani or Vai felt that way? The world would be a different place, and I may have never been have been inspired by hearing "Flying In A Blue Dream" for the first time.

I was like that, almost ashamed to share anything I had recorded (because it honestly wasn't very good), but I learned that was how I would improve. Now I have swung to the other end of the scale and probably share too much. But, if a few people like what I did, I'm happy. I just do what I like to do, realizing that it will never have mass appeal, but I am freely expressing myself and I am being myself. That's what's important to me.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

A Revelation

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
A Revelation
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2008, 09:27:56 PM »
RE: PM

"but I am freely expressing myself and I am being myself. That's what's important to me."

Now thats cool [8D][8D][8D]

(and of course no small animals were hurt in recording those clips[:D])

A few Flys in my soup
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 09:28:37 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

A Revelation

Offline BrainWorm

A Revelation
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2008, 03:32:56 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Emxez982s&feature=related

That "Blues In F" - Wes Montgomery 1965 from the University of Yoyo is great.

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."

A Revelation

Offline Yoyo

A Revelation
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2008, 06:14:41 AM »
Just cop for this then BW. A music student took a direct to 78 recording device to Mintons(67 years ago!!) where the protagonist was wont to go jamming after gigs. Musical ability and feel are a given with this guy, but as the subject of phrasing was raised earlier I think this is an absolute object lesson in the art. From the first truly great electric guitarist, who was to die the following year from TB at the tender age of 25, Charlie Christian.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLz4vYCW97Y
The only thing that exists is this moment now.

A Revelation

Offline TomL

A Revelation
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2008, 08:13:27 AM »
The musical maturity C.C. had at this age is amazing. [:0]
Thanks for sharing, Yoyo! [:D]

Tom

98 Fly Classic Trans Red
99 Fly Jazz Trans Red

www.MystikNRG.com
Tom

98 Fly Classic Trans Red
99 Fly Jazz Trans Red

A Revelation

Offline Yoyo

A Revelation
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2008, 08:36:52 AM »
On the contrary thank you Tom for bringing his name up earlier and causing me to delve into the man(and Wes)  again. And yes maturity!!!
The only thing that exists is this moment now.

A Revelation

Offline Eruption

A Revelation
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2008, 09:09:02 PM »
I feel that way sometimes too. I am a "shredder" or "metalhead" and wish my playing could have more feeling. Every time I try, I end up shredding. :P

'07 Fly Deluxe-Dusty Black
'07 Peavey ValveKing 1x12
Funds for my ENGL Thunder 50 or Fireball have commenced!
...and some strange beauiful secrets...
'07 Fly Deluxe- Dusty Black
'10 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus
'11 Suhr Modern Custom (ON ORDER)
'10 Mesa/Boogie Mark V head
'00s Randall MTS 2x12
TC Electronic Flashback Delay/ISP Decimator
...and some strange beautiful secrets...

A Revelation

Offline BrainWorm

A Revelation
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2008, 03:09:09 AM »
That Charlie Christian "Swing To Bop" was great. The University of Yoyo is in high gear.

A Revelation

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
A Revelation
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2008, 09:35:08 AM »
quote:
I feel that way sometimes too. I am a "shredder" or "metalhead" and wish my playing could have more feeling. Every time I try, I end up shredding.

I think something that works really well is the kind of tension/release thing that Allan Holdsworth does. It's not pedal to the metal the whole time, it's dynamic, up and down, intense and then not. I'm trying to learn how to do this myself. It's really easy to just floor it and keep it there. [;)]

To see what I mean about Allan Holdsworth and the tension/release thing, check out "The Sixteen Men Of Tain". I think that is his best ever album.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 10:15:49 AM by Paul Marossy »