Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Replacement nut material ?  (Read 1619 times)

Offline 21st Century Schizoid Man

Replacement nut material ?
« on: March 18, 2008, 04:22:18 AM »
I'm probably going to get the nut on my Mojo replaced by a pro in the near future.
I could get him to use a graphtech nut but does anyone one have any info or recommendations for an alternative material?
I keep my Mojo in non-trem mode.

Thanks.

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 08:38:28 AM »
I have been tempted to change the nut on my Hardtail out to something like bone or something else harder but I really doubt that there would be change in tone. I used Delrin for a while on one of my Flys when I couldn't get a factory replacement nut and didn't notice any difference. Maybe I'll put a stainless steel nut on my stealth.[;)]
[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline rt0412

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 11:36:07 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp

Maybe I'll put a stainless steel nut on my stealth.[;)]
[^]
Alex

That's an excellent idea, Alex. I'd like one. Consider that as a pre-order. [:p]

Rolly

Offline marvin jensen

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 12:22:49 PM »
As Ken once told me,  the only time that the nut material makes a difference is on an open string so why would one want a material that would produce a difference in tone between open and fretted.

Offline texasguy

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 02:24:12 PM »
The acoustic boyz discuss nut/saddle/pins a lot, and some of them prefer ivory in its various incarnations--fossilized walrus, mammoth, and "legal" contemporary elephant ivory. Beautiful stuff, but expensive. Bone is popular too. I've boned my Taylor acoustic(saddle and pins). The original tusq saddle sounded good to me too, though.

Offline rt0412

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 02:33:21 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by marvin jensen

As Ken once told me,  the only time that the nut material makes a difference is on an open string so why would one want a material that would produce a difference in tone between open and fretted.

Exactly. A Stainless steel nut will make the open string sound the same fretted (with stainless steel frets).

Offline marvin jensen

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 02:52:11 PM »
I really doubt that it makes too much of a difference.  We could easily have made a stainless nut on the Fly out of PM stainless.  The saddles are PM stainless and incredibly cheap to manufacture.  I would guess that if it would have made a huge difference Ken would have gone that route.

Offline rt0412

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 03:19:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by marvin jensen

I really doubt that it makes too much of a difference.  We could easily have made a stainless nut on the Fly out of PM stainless.  The saddles are PM stainless and incredibly cheap to manufacture.  I would guess that if it would have made a huge difference Ken would have gone that route.

Actually, it would have been nice if Ken designed something along the line of something similar to an LSR Roller nut, made out of stainless steel of course. That would have been consistent with the SS saddle design and the SS frets.