Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Left "hand" technique  (Read 5542 times)

Offline prjacobs

Left "hand" technique
« on: March 21, 2008, 07:07:26 PM »
Assuming that you're a right handed guitarist, I wanted to touch on something that may help guitarists in changing positions on the neck.
Initially, I used this technique on the piano,and the difference is speed and accuracy was amazing. It also translates to guitar perfectly, with striking results.
Many people, in my opinion, make the mistake of reaching with their fingers, instead of moving the forearm and elbow to lead the hand. The theory is that essentially, your fingers always play the same, as if you're not changing position at all.  They just go along for the ride. By moving from the forearm and elbow and having the hand follow that movement, you'll find that it's much quicker than reaching with the fingers.  Again, the goal is to feel like your left hand always stays the same.  I know that there are times when reaching and stretching the finger(s) are necessary. We've all felt the strain and pain as guitarists. As an experiment, try putting your hand lightly on the neck in a guitar playing position, and just pull your forearm and elbow into your body. That may help get the feeling I'm talking about. It's sort of hard to put this feeling into words, but with some experimentation, I think you'll find an improvement in your playing.

Left "hand" technique

Offline mountaindewaddict

Left "hand" technique
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 08:27:28 PM »
Paul, are you saying that when you move up the neck (toward the body of the guitar) that your elbow should start moving toward the guitar first, before your hand?  Just trying to be clear. [:)]

Casey

Gear:
Parker P-44, Digitech GNX4, other stuff...
"Remember, if at first you don't succeed, you're doing it wrong."
God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Left "hand" technique

Offline Eruption

Left "hand" technique
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 08:56:51 PM »
Thanks man! I really should try that!

'07 Fly Deluxe-Dusty Black
'07 Peavey ValveKing 1x12
Funds for my ENGL Thunder 50 or Fireball have commenced!
...and some strange beauiful secrets...
'07 Fly Deluxe- Dusty Black
'10 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus
'11 Suhr Modern Custom (ON ORDER)
'10 Mesa/Boogie Mark V head
'00s Randall MTS 2x12
TC Electronic Flashback Delay/ISP Decimator
...and some strange beautiful secrets...

Left "hand" technique

Offline prjacobs

Left "hand" technique
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 09:47:22 PM »
Casey, What I'm saying is that when you move up the neck, it should not be the hand that initiates the motion.  Your forearm and elbow move at the same time, towards your body, maintaining the exact same position relative to the neck. Obviously, with that motion, the arm above the elbow to the shoulder will also be involved.  The elbow maintains the same distance from the guitar neck. Essentially, whatever angle your forearm and elbow have should be constant.  Of course, when you have to go really high on the neck that angle would change.  The important thing is to have the feeling that the hand position is controlled by the larger muscles of the arm. Believe it or not, I have to run... I hear the fire alarm going off in my building... Probably nothing....

Left "hand" technique

Offline Eruption

Left "hand" technique
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 09:50:16 PM »
Yeh, it actually works. Awesome!

'00s Randall MTS 2x12

Left "hand" technique

Offline prjacobs

Left "hand" technique
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 10:41:31 PM »
To follow up.... There WAS a fire in my building.  Not close to my apartment, and not a serious one, thankfully.  There was an elderly woman in the apartment where the fire started and she was taken away on a stretcher.  Happy to report that she's fine.

Left "hand" technique

Offline Eruption

Left "hand" technique
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 10:46:36 PM »
Holy crap! Its good that no one was seriously injured or killed.

'00s Randall MTS 2x12

Left "hand" technique

Offline simonlock

Left "hand" technique
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 11:25:52 PM »
Having a stiff thumb is something to avoid with position shifts as well. Some people I've talked to about Flys say that the painted surface is something they can't get past because it kinda grabs skin if it's at all sticky or clammy. I once thought how talcum or chalk would help for technique if it were applied only to the thumb before playing. Of course you'd have to wipe the neck down a lot and if you're married there would probably be a few lumps on your head that weren't there before too.

Simon
Vancouver,BC
A Whole Mess of Flys and I Love Them ALL!!!!!

Left "hand" technique

Offline Lwinn171

Left "hand" technique
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 12:55:37 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by simonlock

Having a stiff thumb is something to avoid with position shifts as well. Some people I've talked to about Flys say that the painted surface is something they can't get past because it kinda grabs skin if it's at all sticky or clammy. I once thought how talcum or chalk would help for technique if it were applied only to the thumb before playing. Of course you'd have to wipe the neck down a lot and if you're married there would probably be a few lumps on your head that weren't there before too.

Simon
Vancouver,BC
A Whole Mess of Flys and I Love Them ALL!!!!!

I've actually used billiards hand chalk at a bar on my left hand before a show, before. Worked great.[;)]

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic,1998 Classic
Boogie MK IV, Behringer ACX-1800, Zoom A2, various effects

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Left "hand" technique

Offline danjazzny

Left "hand" technique
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 05:38:34 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by prjacobs

To follow up.... There WAS a fire in my building.  Not close to my apartment, and not a serious one, thankfully.  There was an elderly woman in the apartment where the fire started and she was taken away on a stretcher.  Happy to report that she's fine.

Glad to hear no one was hurt.[:D]

'05 Mojo++'95 Deluxe++'98 Classic++'97 Artist ++'99 Simonized Artist++Flextone3++SpiderValve 212
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Left "hand" technique

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Left "hand" technique
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 05:59:28 AM »
Good tip prj (and Simon&Larry&all)

That does make good sense. Hits home to me because really I have not flown up and down the neck that much until I got into Flys. Now I'm enjoying that.

Songs that I've played for years in open chords I'm now playing for alternate colors as bar chords up the neck. And one of my favorite new tricks is just jumping octives 12 frets up. All new to me thanks to the Fly.

This is simple stuff for most of you, but I really am between a beginner and intermediate and I am thankful for the tips so many have shared. I'm having a blast. I now play an hour a day. Things are beginning to come together somewhat.

As a former acoustic finger roller my hardest transition has been learning to use a pick. I had to re learn where the strings were with my right hand. My brain just doesn't always know where they are with a pick  for some reason. On songs I learned long ago I even have to put the pick down and finger the strings to remember what strings/order to hit. Then I try to find it with the pick(example;intro to Sweet Home Alabama.Its automatic with my fingers but baffles me with a pick?)

Any suggestions ?

A few Flys in my soup
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 06:03:36 AM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Left "hand" technique

Offline Yoyo

Left "hand" technique
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 06:43:08 AM »
So why use a pick Bill? Jeff Beck doesn't, Mark Knopfler doesn't(well occasionally). I haven't used one in decades except on my mandolin.
The only thing that exists is this moment now.

Left "hand" technique

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Left "hand" technique
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 06:50:01 AM »
Well I'm just trying to learn some rock tunes for kicks. Most people grow out of that I know but I never got into it the first time so I'm picking it up as part of my midlife crises. Ya can't really finger roll that stuff and the thumb is too slow on the bass strings and the index finger is too big to hiy clean as a pick on the trble leads.

Jeff Beck I aint.[:I]

(And Yo I aint either[:)])

A few Flys in my soup
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 06:52:16 AM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Left "hand" technique

jwrooker

Left "hand" technique
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 07:03:56 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill

Well I'm just trying to learn some rock tunes for kicks. Most people grow out of that I know but I never got into it the first time so I'm picking it up as part of my midlife crises. Ya can't really finger roll that stuff and the thumb is too slow on the bass strings and the index finger is too big to hiy clean as a pick on the trble leads.

Who grows out of that?  Nobody told me about that...HMMM..[8D]

John

Left "hand" technique

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Left "hand" technique
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 07:57:53 AM »
[:)]Yeah on second thought "growing out of" is too strong a phraise. I should have said "rock songs that most of you have mastered long ago" or something like that.

Oh, go ride your trike [:D]

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup