Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sweep picking - any tips?  (Read 5124 times)

Offline Steel Pelican

• http://www.modernwhaling.com
Sweep picking - any tips?
« on: March 26, 2008, 08:02:58 AM »
Took a sick day today, and thought the extra hours would be a good time to work on my sweeps.  My current practice regimen is to start with a simple, 4 string chord, and sweep it up, then down, then move up one fret.  Wash rinse, repeat.

Any tips from experienced sweepers to help get the process moving more quickly?  One question I'm struggling with is how tightly to hold the pick.  I find myself loosening my grip on the pick to better facilitate the sweeping motion- is this a good or a bad habit to get into?

-Greg
-----------
'97 Classic Fly, Trans. Red
Mesa/Boogie DC-5

Offline Eruption

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 09:59:28 AM »
Yup, relax your hand as much as possible. Don't tighten it too much as it will cause tendinitous in later life.

'07 Fly Deluxe-Dusty Black
'07 Peavey ValveKing 1x12
$aving for an ENGL Thunder 50.
...and some strange beauiful secrets...
'07 Fly Deluxe- Dusty Black
'10 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus
'11 Suhr Modern Custom (ON ORDER)
'10 Mesa/Boogie Mark V head
'00s Randall MTS 2x12
TC Electronic Flashback Delay/ISP Decimator
...and some strange beautiful secrets...

Offline loumt123

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 10:12:11 AM »
...or just keep practicing? Your rhythm will set in sooner or later and you won't have difficulty

it's kind of like learning to alternate pick for the first time.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 10:12:47 AM by loumt123 »

Offline simonlock

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 11:24:48 AM »
Your finger grip should be firm but not be causing more tension up your arm. The hardest part about sweeping is keeping it rhythmic and slow until the motion sinks in. Also being able to control the pick by resting it on the tip on the next string without striking a note. To get accurate timing and control you'll need to learn this. Playing slowly your pick plucks the first note then lands on the next string on the very tip waiting for the time to play the next note. The control is in when you're hand lets it slip. Sweeping was my first meeting with Martone [8D]

The best way I've found to accomplish proficiency with this feeling is by mastering economy picking. Most guys have got sweeping all wrong and think it's just strumming at the right speed. Hope this helps, any questions you have after I'll do my best to answer.

Simon
Vancouver,BC
A Whole Mess of Flys and I Love Them ALL!!!!!

Offline mojotron

• http://www.mojotronics.com
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 12:45:06 PM »
I have been working on sweeping exercises on my own and I'm trying to figure out how everyone else approaches this. This is what I'm working on right now, in the key of C, I sweep (not strumming slowly, rather sweeping by hitting the note, mute by raising the fingered note slightly, hit the next note...) the arpeggio. I start on the 9th fret with Am and work down to the 2nd fret, sweeping each arpeggio from the A string to the hi-E string then reverse from the hi-E to the A string, move to the next position/arpeggio... in this order (note the numbers represent the order in which the note is hit in the down/up sweep).

Am
|---|---|---|-5-|---|---E
|---|4/6|---|---|---|---B
|3/7|---|---|---|---|---G
|---|2/8|---|---|---|---D
|---|---|---|1/9|---|---A
|---|---|---|---|---|---E

G
|---|---|2/8|---|---|---D

F
|---|---|2/8|---|---|---D

Em

Dm

So, currently I can maintain a constant tempo at about 200-220bpm moving through these arpeggios from the 9th to 2nd fret, then doing the same all the way up to 17th fret as well as switching from a down sweep followed by an upsweep - to an upsweep followed by a downsweep; as well as playing one arpeggio as an upsweep, then the next arpeggio as a down sweep ... - working slowly up to about 200-220bpm.

This exercise has been a lot of work, but I it solved a lot of string skipping technique issues I had. The problem is that I see a lot of people staying in one position when they sweep, sweeping only 3-4 string arpeggios and doing some hamer-on/pull-offs. So I do have a few questions if anyone who has tread this path has some advice.

1) Is anyone else approaching sweeping this way?

2) I seem to hit a wall at about 220-240bpm, slowing down - prefecting the technique - does not really seem help me that much at getting past this speed barrier - it just seems like I have to use a different technique at speeds above 220bpm which I'm struggling to duplicate at slower speeds - anyone else solve this problem for themselves?

3) I'm guessing that most people that are playing arpeggios with 2 notes on any of the strings are hammering-on or pulling-off these notes as the pick ends up in an awkward position if you pick the 2nd note. Integrating hammer-ons/pull-offs is driving me nuts - do I have this idea correct - that is; you don't actually pick the 2nd note on any of the strings you pull or hammer it then deal with the timming as a picking problem to solve?

4) I love the sound of the root-third-5th arpeggios - the above exercise makes a nice sounding classical toon when played semi-fast - but are there other arpeggios that are more widely used? Especially combos of 3-4 note arpeggios that are in the same position? There are tones of arpeggios, but most are oriented around the Jazz arpeggio - ment to be a tool for addressing harmonic issues not really speed issues or technique issues, as is the case with sweeping. I'm just not finding a good source for common sweep arpeggios - anyone have a good WWW site to find these?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 11:15:13 PM by mojotron »

Offline simonlock

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 12:59:57 PM »
Mojo shoot me an email and I'll send you some 7th chord arps. They do involve hammer/pulls at both ends which requires the pick to hesitate at each end but are very effective patterns.

In your reference to tempo youre talking 16ths, 16th triplets or 32nd notes?

Simon
Vancouver,BC

Offline Detonator

• http://myspace.com/detonator6
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 02:37:35 PM »
For me, I try incorporating as many differing arpeggios as I can into my practice routine.  They all seem to help in different ways, and there's kind of a synergy effect.  Some favorites are.  m7b5, add13(kind of my trademark lick), add9, madd9, M7, and all the shapes of the major and minor triads.  Practice slow, and work up speed.  Don't focus on any one shape for too long.

98 Fly Classic (trans emerald green)
93 strat plus
05 Schecter tempest Custom
04 Takamine AN10
ENGL Powerball 100 head
Boogie Recto 4x12
Roland Microcube
Lots of FX
93 strat plus
04 Takamine AN10
Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Mills Acoustics Afterburner 412b
Roland Microcube
FX

Offline mojotron

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 02:47:39 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by simonlock

Mojo shoot me an email and I'll send you some 7th chord arps. They do involve hammer/pulls at both ends which requires the pick to hesitate at each end but are very effective patterns.

In your reference to tempo youre talking 16ths, 16th triplets or 32nd notes?...

Sorry - I meant bpm above (fixed)[:I]

So - I really mean 1/4 notes @220bpm.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 11:15:53 PM by mojotron »

Offline mojotron

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 02:50:13 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Detonator

For me, I try incorporating as many differing arpeggios as I can into my practice routine.  They all seem to help in different ways, and there's kind of a synergy effect.  Some favorites are.  m7b5, add13(kind of my trademark lick), add9, madd9, M7, and all the shapes of the major and minor triads.  Practice slow, and work up speed.  Don't focus on any one shape for too long.

Perhaps that is where I'm getting stuck - I'm spending a lot of time on one shape/inversion.

Also - my metronome was actually set at 2x what I said earlier - I fixed the above posts.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 11:24:32 PM by mojotron »

Offline loumt123

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 03:08:09 PM »
just do easy triads it doesn't matter what inversion. get the technique down then analyze it. It'll come if you keep trying it, trust me. Just stay accurate and the speed will come with it.

Offline simonlock

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 11:15:40 AM »
I find the triad arps harder because they involve a technique that's hard to master and that's rolling your barred finger so that the notes don't ring together. The 7th chord sweeps that are presented in the middle of the pages I sent Mojo use different fingers and no barring to cover the AtoE strings.

Simon
Vancouver,BC

Offline Detonator

• http://myspace.com/detonator6
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 04:06:16 PM »
Not all of the triads involve barring though.  The following two may be easier for someone having trouble with the finger rolling.  The only thing that makes these hard is the 2 string shift of the index and middle fingers.

Major
---------9-11-16-11-9--------
-------10------------10------
------9----------------9-----
---11-------------------11---
-12-----------------------12-
-----------------------------

Minor
---------8-11-16-11-8--------
-------10------------10------
------9----------------9-----
---10-------------------10---
-12-----------------------12-
-----------------------------

93 strat plus
05 Schecter tempest Custom
04 Takamine AN10
ENGL Powerball 100 head
Boogie Recto 4x12
Roland Microcube
Lots of FX
93 strat plus
04 Takamine AN10
Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Mills Acoustics Afterburner 412b
Roland Microcube
FX

Offline ckyvick

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 06:33:03 AM »
theres a book THE PRINCIPLES OF CORRECT PRACTICE FOR GUITAR. this explains a lot on how to get faster and learning new skills. its gotten exercises you would have never thought of before.

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 07:22:55 AM »
Re: Sweep picking - any tips?  

Which nostril?

I thought arpeggios were a string of islands off the coast ?

You guys are amazing

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup

Offline simonlock

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 11:07:59 AM »
Bill, put your broom away you're still gonna need your pick for this.

Simon
Vancouver,BC