Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Parker Fly Facts ( new users start here.)  (Read 64104 times)

Offline ckyvick

Parker Fly Facts ( new users start here.)
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 01:28:13 AM »
i would like to know how much weight a parker could support if you put it on two chairs...basically how many lbs of force would make it snap??? since its a guitar you can stand on i think this would be an important test.

jwrooker

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 07:38:21 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by ckyvick

i would like to know how much weight a parker could support if you put it on two chairs...basically how many lbs of force would make it snap??? since its a guitar you can stand on i think this would be an important test.

Circus tricks like that are really stupid.  If you put a Fly between two chairs and stood on it, you'd be out of a guitar and deservedly so.  I don't care if Steinberger did that, because it proves absolutely nothing.   Put a Stradivarius violin between two chairs and stand on it and you're out a few million dollars.

Now, own a Parker Fly through an entire year of weather changes, rides to and from gigs bouncing around in a car and find out that each time you get the guitar out to play..it is still in freakin' tune!  Try that with a G***** or a F***** and see how many times you are tuning and retuning.  

Sorry, I'm not venting on you, but this is just another example of how consumers get suckered in by some silly circus tricks and we use that as a standard by which we evaluate the quality of things.

John

98 Fly Classic w/ Gen 1's - 98 Fly Classic w/ VPAF's
99 Fly Deluxe w/Gen 1's - 01 Fly Single 2
03 Fly Mojo w/ Pearly Gates - 02 NiteFly M w/ VPAFS & GK3
05 Southern NiteFly - Roland VG-99 & GR-20
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 07:39:35 AM by jwrooker »

Offline Strandwolf

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577969013
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2008, 12:17:43 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by mattyn

Serial Numbers: Here, I think, is most of the info you'll need to date/identify a Parker Fly:

PRIOR TO 2003: Flys will have the six digit code. The first three digits are the day of the year, the next two are the number in that days production, and the last digit is the year.

2003 - 2006: Both 6 & 7 digit numbers were reportedly used. The first three digits are the day of the year, the next two are the number in that days production, and the last digit (or two digits) designate the year. Any doubts regarding the year of manufacture during this period can be cured by a quick examination of the control layout. If it is a "Refined Fly" (see above) it is 2003 or later.

AFTER 2006: Flys changed to a P followed by a seven digit code. The first two digits are the year, the next two are the number of the month, the next two are the number of the day it was completed, and the last number is that days production number.

Ambiguosity detected. All in all highly informative and appreciated, but just to clarify, final number is not the number of Flys produced on that date, but the individual, unique number assigned to the particular guitar, i. e., making the whole number sequence a serial number identifying that guitar. Thought so...otherwise....
Parkers: Pick, cap, T-shirt, clock, and other assorted accouterments

Offline ckyvick

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 01:59:23 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by jwrooker

quote:
Originally posted by ckyvick

Circus tricks like that are really stupid.  If you put a Fly between two chairs and stood on it, you'd be out of a guitar and deservedly so.  I don't care if Steinberger did that, because it proves absolutely nothing.   Put a Stradivarius violin between two chairs and stand on it and you're out a few million dollars.

Now, own a Parker Fly through an entire year of weather changes, rides to and from gigs bouncing around in a car and find out that each time you get the guitar out to play..it is still in freakin' tune!  Try that with a G***** or a F***** and see how many times you are tuning and retuning.  

Sorry, I'm not venting on you, but this is just another example of how consumers get suckered in by some silly circus tricks and we use that as a standard by which we evaluate the quality of things.

John

98 Fly Classic w/ Gen 1's - 98 Fly Classic w/ VPAF's
99 Fly Deluxe w/Gen 1's - 01 Fly Single 2
03 Fly Mojo w/ Pearly Gates - 02 NiteFly M w/ VPAFS & GK3
05 Southern NiteFly - Roland VG-99 & GR-20

yeah its gimmicky but in my defence i heard that was ken parkers advertisement when he first started out... he put it on two guitars and was standing on it...

Offline laughinglarry

• http://www.myspace.com/larrysmithmusic
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2008, 07:13:05 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Wilmington only

If you hold a fly by the headstock and hit the butt end on the floor face-down it will break. If you try to do it face-up your going to hurt yourself.

There's no money above the fifth fret

That's Mick Donner, former production manager for Parker Guitars.  They are incredibly strong, but not that strong.

If you're referring to the quote by the Dimbag wannabe from the Premier Video tour, he's simply wrong.  (He also calls the Mojo a Maple TOP, whereas it's a veneer.)  It never happened.  That was (and still IS) a Ned Steinberger trick.  This was all discussed in response to the Premier Video:
http://forums.parkerguitars.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7361

Ken Parker may well be able to break even a Steinberger by standing on it.  I'm 6'3" and weigh 220; he's about the same size.  From what I understand, Ned is tiny in comparison.

[:)]

Larry

2000 Fly Deluxe Single 2, 2000 Fly Stealth, '97 Fly Deluxe (with GK-2A), '07 Steinberger GM-7TA, '89 Strat Plus, '92 Les Paul Custom, Ibanez Silver Series (Strat), Epiphone Dot, '65 Mustang, Yamaha BB3000AF, Peavey Foundation, Hamer Cruisebass
http://www.myspace.com/larrysmithmusic
www.myspace.com/karmagenerator

Offline rickgk

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 01:44:00 AM »
Actually i remember when the parkers first came out there was a television show here in australia called beyond 2000 which was about new technology inventions etc (i think i was 16 or 17 at the time), the parker was featured on it, and in the segment ken parker did actually put the fly between two chairs and stand on it, i remember it vividly, i had it on vhs for a few years and lost it in one of my house moves since, i just wish i still had it, it would be on youtube by now.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 01:45:37 AM by rickgk »

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 07:30:41 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by rickgk

Actually i remember when the parkers first came out there was a television show here in australia called beyond 2000 which was about new technology inventions etc (i think i was 16 or 17 at the time), the parker was featured on it, and in the segment ken parker did actually put the fly between two chairs and stand on it, i remember it vividly, i had it on vhs for a few years and lost it in one of my house moves since, i just wish i still had it, it would be on youtube by now.

I have that show on DVD sorry you remember incorrectly.[;)]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline rickgk

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 11:10:20 PM »
I really want to see that again. I am going to hunt it down, i am sure I am right.

Offline Guitarman

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 08:30:21 PM »
There isa an easy solution to this topic...Call Ken Parker and ask him...
Peace!

female menopause: hot flashes and passing out,gaining weight
Male menopause: faster cars, younger women, expensive guitars
Peace!
Chuck
Female menopause: Hot flashes, Passing Out, Gaining weight.
Male menopause: Faster Cars, Younger Women, Expensive Guitars.
Thank you Lord for letting me be born male!!
Peace...
Chuck

Offline Strandwolf

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577969013
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 01:45:13 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Guitarman

female menopause: hot flashes and passing out,gaining weight
Male menopause: faster cars, younger women, expensive guitars

Gee, when hitting the ripe old age of 30 it seems I endured all the symptoms of ah full force male menopause.
Parkers: Pick, cap, T-shirt, clock, and other assorted accouterments

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 09:17:38 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Guitarman

There isa an easy solution to this topic...Call Ken Parker and ask him...
Peace!

Chuck

Ken really isn't the answer here. Parker Guitars is someone else now. Ken has moved on.

Bob

2001 Parker Fly Single 2 Silver  â€¢ 1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline 21st Century Schizoid Man

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 03:37:28 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by bostjan

I've been wondering for a long time now...

Which grade of stainless is used for the tangless frets on Flys?

Work-hardened 302 stainless steel (per the dealer fret repair .pdf that appeared on this forum a year or so ago)

Offline alexgalang

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2010, 06:21:18 AM »
hey guys! I'm new with the forum so I could use some help if anything has been done wrong....I am an owner of a '98 fly,a beautiful guitar,but when I purchased it last year I didn't know a lot about old parkers so I tuned it accidentally when in was set in the floyd-rose...what do I do?I haven't managed to receive any help, so please tell me what to do.thank you so much

Offline RustyRob

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2011, 04:53:55 PM »
Bumping this because I have the same problem, previous owner tuned it in free mode. I read everywhere you should NEVER do this, but I have not found an explanation as to why?

Only thing I can think of is that the spring wil get different tension on left and right, but you should be able to 'reset' the problem by reinserting the spring or using a new spring, no?

Offline ekornbakke

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2011, 05:29:10 PM »
No no, dont`t worry! If you are used to floating systems, just tune the guitar however you like, but keep in mind that the spring should have a reasonable tension. The point of "always" using the step-stop is twofold:
Firstly, it makes sure that the tension of the spring ends up exactly in the standard "home position" that the designers of the guitar intended. (Not too loose, and not to tight. Also, engaging the step-stop with this "correct" tension of the spring, perfectly makes it a "bend-down only mode" bridge.

Secondly, people that are not used to floating systems would quickly run into problems getting the guitar in tune if they just go about tuning the strings as if it was a standard"hard tail" bridge. Of course, this applies to any floating system.

Personally, I think the manual is too rigid when talking about this. However, it is probably an easy precaution to just tell people to do it this way and avoid further problems. You don`t "have to" do it this way, and changing the tension of the spring a little in either direction is also ok, as long as it doesn`t go WAY to far!

On one of my Flys I actually decided that I wanted to use a different tension on the spring, changing the "home-position" altogether. So on that guitar the step-stop doesn`t even "work", if you see my point. I simply loosened the spring to get more upwards movement on the vibrato-bridge. Ok, so here comes the warning: as indicated above, TO MUCH of this could be harmful, as it the spring could pop out if it gets to loose. And vice versa, tightening it TOO MUCH could simply break it.

However, if treating the guitar and the set up in a sensible way, you should not run into problems, even if you tune in free mode. Good luck.

-----
Parker Fly Mojo 08, Summer!
Parker Fly Mojo Quilt 08, Transparent Green Burst
Parker Fly Deluxe 01, Majik Blue
-----
Parker Fly Mojo 08, Summer!
Parker Fly Mojo Quilt 08, Transparent Green Burst
Parker Fly Deluxe 01, Majik Blue
Parker Fly Artist 97, Sitka Spruce