Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Parker is Perfect Except for...  (Read 2113 times)

Offline austin

My Parker is Perfect Except for...
« on: March 18, 2005, 09:53:06 PM »
...those rubber knobs [:p]! I want to change them to black dome knobs, but I'm not sure what size concentric knobs to get. I don't want to just replace the regular knobs because I think that would look even cheesier than having all rubber knobs. Is there anybody out there who's done this that could tell me what model knobs to buy?

-Austin

P.S. Kudos to Parker for starting this forum up!

--
Early 99" Parker Fly Deluxe, upgraded with new model Dimarzios and full humbucking in the middle position
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 09:54:08 PM by austin »

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 11:17:56 PM »
I like the rubber knobs[:)]

I put an O-ring under the volume knob so it doesn't turn inadvertently.

My friend plays his so much the edges of the rubber knob is rounded off. Thats cool[:0]

1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
200? Parker NiteFly S/S/H
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline Binner

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 11:03:57 AM »
I did it back in about '98 with my Classic. I bought some off the shelf Black brass knobs with the set screw. Trick is that the pot stems for Parker were larger than the holes on the new knobs. So I got the drill out "made" them fit. They had to be drilled deeper and wider than the original hole (very close to the top of the knob). I didn't find any knob solution for the concentrics. I did it for quick volume adjustments, the rubber knobs just didn't "roll" like a larger brass knob does with the pinky. So I have all black brass like the new Parkers (except the peizo controls). Worked very well, and was very cheap. If you aren't real handy, I would suggect getting one extra knob to test with.
'97 Fly Classic with Steve's Special/Air Norton
'05 Mojo Flame (Green) with SD Distortion/Jazz
'03 Parker 5-String (Natural) Duncan AJB-5s
'89 Hamer with Sustainiac
'95 Ovation Standard Elite (Green Burst)
'98 Ovation Balladeer (Red burst)
PRS Custom 24
Fender American Deluxe Strat
a bunch of Jacksons
a bunch of Charvels
a bunch of Peaveys (Vandenbergs)
Mesa RoadKing II
Mesa Mark IV Long Head
Mesa Stiletto Deuce II
Mesa F-30
Mesa 4x12
Peavey Triple X 2x12
Peavey 4x12 with two V30s and 2 G12T 75s
SWR Bass 750 with Mesa 4x10 and 1x15
Mesa Bass 400+
...and a bunch of other stuff

Offline LiquidAmber

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 11:49:22 AM »
quote:

I put an O-ring under the volume knob so it doesn't turn inadvertently.

Brilliant idea!  Can you explain how to do this?  I'm so tired of accidentally turning down the volume while I'm wailing away :)

Offline austin

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 12:29:03 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Binner

I did it back in about '98 with my Classic. I bought some off the shelf Black brass knobs with the set screw. Trick is that the pot stems for Parker were larger than the holes on the new knobs. So I got the drill out "made" them fit. They had to be drilled deeper and wider than the original hole (very close to the top of the knob). I didn't find any knob solution for the concentrics. I did it for quick volume adjustments, the rubber knobs just didn't "roll" like a larger brass knob does with the pinky. So I have all black brass like the new Parkers (except the peizo controls). Worked very well, and was very cheap. If you aren't real handy, I would suggect getting one extra knob to test with.

I found some knobs on Warmoth that I think will work. I'll buy a set and let you know how they work out. I never thought about drilling them out to fit, but that's what I'll do to the conentric if I have to. Thanks for the tip.

-Austin

--
Early 99" Parker Fly Deluxe, upgraded with new model Dimarzios and full humbucking in the middle position