Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Play an acoustic guitar  (Read 9760 times)

Offline prjacobs

Play an acoustic guitar
« on: April 30, 2008, 09:37:35 AM »
This really comes from my conversations with my son, who like many of his friends, plays really fast, high octane prog rock as well as classic rock.

My advice to him and all guitarists.  Play an acoustic guitar. There's nothing like some overdrive, chorus, echo, compression, etc. to mask weaknesses in sound quality, dynamics, and picking. You might discover that it takes 2 hands to play the guitar at times.
If you develop a beautiful, articulate, clean sound on acoustic, it will really help your electric playing.  And... you'll love that Parker even more when you pick it up[:)]

Play an acoustic guitar

Offline Eruption

Play an acoustic guitar
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 10:19:12 AM »
true, buy him a Parker acoustic!

'07 Fly Deluxe-Dusty Black
'07 Peavey ValveKing 1x12
"There can be no any without one"-Will Hansen
'07 Fly Deluxe- Dusty Black
'10 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus
'11 Suhr Modern Custom (ON ORDER)
'10 Mesa/Boogie Mark V head
'00s Randall MTS 2x12
TC Electronic Flashback Delay/ISP Decimator
...and some strange beautiful secrets...

Play an acoustic guitar

Offline Steel Pelican

• http://www.modernwhaling.com
Play an acoustic guitar
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 12:42:08 PM »
DEATH FIRST!

-Greg
-----------
'97 Classic Fly, Trans. Red
Mesa/Boogie DC-5
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 12:42:25 PM by Steel Pelican »

Play an acoustic guitar

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Play an acoustic guitar
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 03:33:07 PM »
I agree. This is also something I have found this to be true in my own experience.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
http://improvisingguitarists.ning.com/profile/PaulMarossy
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 04:17:38 PM by Paul Marossy »

Play an acoustic guitar

Offline Eruption

Play an acoustic guitar
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 04:16:52 PM »
http://video.google.com/videosearch?sitesearch=&q=tommy+emanuel

'00s Randall MTS 2x12

Play an acoustic guitar

Offline Eruption

Play an acoustic guitar
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 04:17:54 PM »
He'd love a Parker.

'00s Randall MTS 2x12

Play an acoustic guitar

Offline mountaindewaddict

Play an acoustic guitar
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 08:44:54 AM »
I hadn't heard of Tommy E. until recently, but his one of the best players who excels at both acoustic and electric.  Keaggy is still my favorite, though.  

I agree with Paul.  If you're going to be a full spectrum guitar player, you have to have some skills at the acoustic.  Besides, it's easier to get the girls that way. [;)]  Write a song on the acoustic, play it for her, name it "Sarah's Song" (or whatever her name is), and you're bound to, well, you know... [:D]

Casey

Gear:
Parker P-44, Digitech GNX4, other stuff...
"Remember, if at first you don't succeed, you're doing it wrong."
God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Play an acoustic guitar

Offline prjacobs

Play an acoustic guitar
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 10:31:05 AM »
Casey,
Thanks... I hadn't heard Phil Keaggy.  Really excellent playing.  Yes, girls go for the acoustic players, but I have to say I did fine as a lead guitarist. It was also great growing up in the post pill, pre plague era.  Sex was safe... But I digress... (And can you blame me).
Yes, the more complete of a player you are, the more work you'll get.  In this post, I'm thinking  of playing acoustic as going to the guitar gym.  It builds strength and solidity in both hands. You can't help but become a better electric player.

Play an acoustic guitar

Offline guitarmanuk

Play an acoustic guitar
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 02:24:47 PM »
I totally agree with all this.  The acoustic is a far more "naked" way of playing, you are far more exposed in what you play so you have to be more accurate.  I am primarily an electric player in a band with drums, bass, vocals and brass to hide behind, but in the sax and guitar duo I am fully exposed and I have to be on top of my game which is a real challenge.  I play both electric and acoustic with the duo.

As for Tommy E, I was lucky enough to attend a seminar with him a few years ago.  He is an amazing player and a very humble man.  He has this amazing talent that he is happy to share with anyone who wants to ask.  His outlook is that he is just looking after it until someone else comes along.

Phil Keaggy is amazing.  His album On the Fly is fantastic and the DVD Live in Philly showing his skill with looping is just jaw dropping!

David

1997 Parker Fly Classic transparent Teal Green

www.dancineasy.co.uk my wedding/function band
www.saxandguitar.co.uk my sax and guitar duo
David

1997 Parker Fly Classic transparent Teal Green
1997 Parker Fly Concert Butterscotch

Play an acoustic guitar

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Play an acoustic guitar
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 02:36:50 PM »
Other acoustic guitar players you have to check out: Pierre Bensusan and Michael Hedges. My friend Tim Torgerson is something like a cross between Pierre Bensusan and Micheal Hedges - he's really amazing on the acoustic guitar.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
http://improvisingguitarists.ning.com/profile/PaulMarossy

Play an acoustic guitar

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
Play an acoustic guitar
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 04:59:31 PM »
Just about every lightning fast electric guitarist there is, or at least was up until the mid 90s, you could find an interview with them saying the same thing. You get SO much stronger SO much faster on an acoustic guitar.

Bob

2001 Parker Fly Single 2 Silver  â€¢ 1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Play an acoustic guitar

Offline mountaindewaddict

Play an acoustic guitar
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 05:59:40 PM »
Bob, you're absolutely correct.  It became cliche for a while, but I really like it when an electric monster player puts out an acoustic CD.  Satriani's self titled CD is a must for any guitar player, even if you don't like his other music... such an amazing blend of electric and acoustic sounds!  There are a hundred other examples (Nirvana unplugged was huge, Seven Mary Three's acoutstic version of "Cumbersome" was WAY better than the electric version), but think it's essential to at least have a functional knowledge of both kinds of guitar.  If nothing else, it opens new doors of creativity.

Casey

Gear:
Parker P-44, Digitech GNX4, other stuff...
"Remember, if at first you don't succeed, you're doing it wrong."
God Bless!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 01:35:59 PM by mountaindewaddict »
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Play an acoustic guitar

Offline rld25

Play an acoustic guitar
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 10:32:29 PM »
I seem to go through phases. I'll play nothing but electric for a while and then I'll switch and play the acoustic for a while.

For many years I played the electric with a flat pick and the acoustic with a thumb pick. Then I bought the Fly. Because I could play the acoustic parts in the band on my "electric" guitar, I started using the thumb pick all the time. It allowed me to really find my own style.

Then you have guys like Monty Montgomery that really blur the line.
Lane

Play an acoustic guitar

Offline Dreamsy

Play an acoustic guitar
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 02:06:13 PM »
Since I don't have an electric guitar, I'm always working on clean sound to play properly the parts.

To add something on this topic, I read sometimes interveiw of great guitar players who often says that if a song is working on acoustic guitar it surely will with overdrive, but if your song is relyin on an effect then maybe it's not such a good song...

I'm still thinking of buying an acoustic, but the Fly is the first on my list.
Fly Classic Custom

Play an acoustic guitar

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Play an acoustic guitar
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 08:08:33 PM »
If I had strong hands, I would likely only play acoustic.

I love the tone, the simplicity, even the smell. I play my acoustics occasionally and it is refreshing and helpful as an excersize.

But I turn 50 this month. This is my last chance to say I'm 40 something. My hands often hurt. I am thin boned. I need my hands as an occupational Necessity.

If it weren't for the Fly, I wouldn't be playing at all.

Acoustic if you can, Fly if you're able. [:)]

A few Flys in my soup
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 08:10:07 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup