Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Play an acoustic guitar  (Read 9768 times)

Offline kbgeezer99

Play an acoustic guitar
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2010, 03:48:17 AM »
Nothing but some personal thoughts: I have gone through classical guitar studies by sheetmusic and millions of hours of musical theory up to musical college (to make a living as classical concert player...that was that time the wish) and ended up not being able to have fun with friends at the BBQ because I would not know strumming or picking or anything. Classical simply consumed all time. have seen this at other classical freaks as well...you'd know 3-4 tunes from your current study of the sheets, but no more (excluding the pro's of course).

I found finger-picking with tabs the next step and as hard to learn as a guitar newbie, only the left hand techniques I had have.

I find it now as difficult to learn playing with pick, muting lower strings with the thumb and all that as difficult as it may be for an electrical guitar hero to play the acoustic. Its just like learning another instrument. SO, now I try to combine acoustic and finger picking and the electrical playing and after 13 years professional music-school training of classical I am abosultely at the beginning on the Parker with the pick, blues improvisations, strumming, solo-ing and all the stuff that I admire at the kids who start with the guitar...

its a darn long way, but it is extraordinary fun. isn't that the most important? ...something I had lost with classical after a while when it became what seemed an obligation because you wanna make a living for it...

PS: Guys like Tommy Emmanuel (and his even more excelling brother) are an exception on this planet in my opinion.

PS2: also saw lately a DVD with Satriani where he sat down on stage and started: sorry, this one I had written in sitting and when I tried to play it standing, I found it too difficult, so I will play this ont he chair...

Play an acoustic guitar

Offline spider

Play an acoustic guitar
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2010, 08:42:05 AM »
Tommy Emmanuel is an alien.
08 Parker Fly Deluxe in Galaxy Grey
And a bunch of other guitars that aren't getting played any more...

Play an acoustic guitar

Offline Ron Vermillion

Play an acoustic guitar
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2010, 09:36:16 PM »
It works on all levels. Play an acoustic first. Learn to drive a stick shift. Shoot black powder muzzle loaders first. Learn Your multiplication tables before using a calculator. Learn to write in cursive before work processing. Learn to make change without a cash register. and on and on and on...

Big Ron

Ron Vermillion
ronvermillion@comcast.net
2007 Fly Mojo Natural Mahogany
Ron Vermillion
ronvermillion2176@gmail.com
2007 Fly Mojo Natural Mahogany