Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New member - customising a P-38  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Parker99

New member - customising a P-38
« on: April 17, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »
greetings everyone,

my reason for posting this thread is that i have had a used P-38 for sometime now and after buying a prs se standard for that "hot strat" sound i now want to customise the parker.

i have found that the pickups in it are particularly weak [especially after swapping from a gibson les paul on stage], the single coils feel weedy and the humbucker sounds thin and shrill.

does anyone have any suggestions for replacement pickups to beef-up the sound?

also as a side point, since ive had the guitar i have not been fond of the perloid scratchplate, how much would it cost to have one made up [ive found that no-one seems to sell them in plain white or black].

moaning aside, i continue to be impressed with this guitar till this day. being able to go from a near full-on acoustic sound to rock guitar in the flick of a switch [and a touch of distortion] is a very good attribute.

any fellow p-38 owners out there who can help me?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 04:57:22 PM by Parker99 »
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by" - douglas adams

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
PRS SE Standard
Parker P-38
Peavey Classic 30
Traynor YCV40T

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 05:00:06 PM »
Hey man, you might try www.carvin.com.  You can order many different kinds of "pre-loaded" pickguard assemblies from them, and they also sell Wilkenson trem units, so they would be able to wire up a switch for your piezo.  Good luck.

Casey

Gear:
Parker P-44, Digitech GNX4, other stuff...
"Remember, if at first you don't succeed, you're doing it wrong."
God Bless!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 05:01:09 PM by mountaindewaddict »
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline Parker99

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 05:09:09 PM »
do they make a p-38 specific scratchplate? i checked it out but couldn't find anything.

also i'm from england, so american distributors are not quite so helpful for me.

any suggestions for pickups? i was tempted to put in a p-90 [in a humbucker housing] in the bridge position, good idea or not?
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by" - douglas adams

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
PRS SE Standard
Parker P-38
Peavey Classic 30
Traynor YCV40T

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 05:31:36 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Parker99

do they make a p-38 specific scratchplate? i checked it out but couldn't find anything.

also i'm from england, so american distributors are not quite so helpful for me.

any suggestions for pickups? i was tempted to put in a p-90 [in a humbucker housing] in the bridge position, good idea or not?

I'm certain they don't make a P-38 specific plate, but I bet they'd do a one off for you.  I don't know of any UK distributors, sorry.  You might want to look at Seymore Duncan's "P-Rails" as a possible replacement pick-up.  They're getting good reviews from the other guys on the forum.

Casey

Gear:
Parker P-44, Digitech GNX4, other stuff...
"Remember, if at first you don't succeed, you're doing it wrong."
God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline SRV0042

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 01:13:04 PM »
Hey Parker99, there is a company that makes pickguards for the p-38. They come in a bunch of different materials. Try www.pickguards.us/priceparker.html . Hope this helps out.

Jeff
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 01:15:24 PM by SRV0042 »
P-38
Peavey Classic 50/410