Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stagecraft  (Read 6130 times)

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Stagecraft
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2008, 08:53:14 AM »
Well, last night actually went pretty well. We played the three songs picked out, and did a whole bunch of improv, too. It was fun. I think I can do this. [8D]

EDIT: I also was getting some pretty nice sounds in mono mode by using the piezo pickups with the mag pickups. I love being able to do that. [^]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
http://improvisingguitarists.ning.com/profile/PaulMarossy
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 11:33:58 AM by Paul Marossy »

Stagecraft

Offline mountaindewaddict

Stagecraft
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2008, 12:01:04 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Marossy
I usually recognize the basics, like a I-VI-V progression, but they almost never have songs that are structured like that.

Hey Paul, I know that you prefer a "free-worship" expression of your faith, but is there room in there for the pianist / leader to give a list of likely songs with the progressions or changes?  I've always been part of a more "structured" worship tradition (though certainly not a high liturgical one), so we work off of lead sheets (words, piano melody line, chords) and that works well.  I would think your leader at least has some idea of what he/she wants to start with, and has a responsiblity to their co-leaders (you and the rest of the band) to tell them where they want to go, even if they're not sure about it totally themselves.

Casey

Gear:
Parker P-44, Digitech GNX4, other stuff...
"Remember, if at first you don't succeed, you're doing it wrong."
God Bless!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 12:01:58 PM by mountaindewaddict »
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Stagecraft

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Stagecraft
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2008, 12:14:23 PM »
quote:
Hey Paul, I know that you prefer a "free-worship" expression of your faith, but is there room in there for the pianist / leader to give a list of likely songs with the progressions or changes? I've always been part of a more "structured" worship tradition (though certainly not a high liturgical one), so we work off of lead sheets (words, piano melody line, chords) and that works well. I would think your leader at least has some idea of what he/she wants to start with, and has a responsiblity to their co-leaders (you and the rest of the band) to tell them where they want to go, even if they're not sure about it totally themselves.

That's exactly what they do - we start off with three songs and the lead sheets. But things can radically change on the fly, so to speak! [;)]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
http://improvisingguitarists.ning.com/profile/PaulMarossy
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 12:15:09 PM by Paul Marossy »