Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Solo consciousness  (Read 6049 times)

Offline prjacobs

Solo consciousness
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2008, 07:14:17 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by texasguy

I don't know about the conscious mind not being able to keep up---I can hear complex runs in my head that I can't possibly translate to the fingerboard. [:D]

Jim, there were always moments for me, when I'd hear things in my head and than a few months later, I'd be playing them.  I think that the mind runs ahead of the fingers conceptually.  I understand your point, but what I'm talking about is the ability of the conscious mind to keep up with the pace of live playing. The actual execution of the notes. There is absolutely no way that the mind will say, " now play a c sharp, F sharp, G sharp 8th note triplet, followed be a,c,e,g,a,c,e,g,a,c,e,g, up 3 octaves in 16th notes, etc....  I do believe that when we solo, we sort of "hear" a conceptual snapshot of what we may have in mind, but then the fingers execute our ideas.
All of our movements are really done on an unconscious level.  Imagine having to tell every muscle in your arms and hands exactly now to move when playing the guitar...   We have the will and the body takes over.
We're just along for the ride. Even as you read this [:)]

Solo consciousness

Offline texasguy

Solo consciousness
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2008, 09:46:23 PM »
What you're saying makes sense, Mr. Jacobs. I'm just glad I can play well in my mind. And the Parker helps a bit too. [:)]

Solo consciousness

Offline prjacobs

Solo consciousness
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2008, 10:07:56 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by texasguy

What you're saying makes sense, Mr. Jacobs. I'm just glad I can play well in my mind. And the Parker helps a bit too. [:)]

Hi Jim,
 I took the liberty of calling you by your first name, since I consider the forum to be a society of friends, and I realized that I hadn't listed my "real" name in my profile. I've updated it. By the way, I'm Paul....  Sorry...

Solo consciousness

Offline texasguy

Solo consciousness
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2008, 12:52:04 PM »
I use first names too, Paul. I checked your profile when I replied but didn't see your first name. I see it there now, though. Thanks for your work on the PBS programming, BTW. We're raising two grandkids, and I have a new appreciation for PBS. SS and BTL are two favorites around here...Jim
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 12:54:59 PM by texasguy »

Solo consciousness

Offline larrybgoode

Solo consciousness
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2008, 08:24:09 AM »
It comes down to the elusive goal most of us share - and that's the ability to spontaneously play anything we hear in our heads.  So mastery of technique is one thing, because without it one would not have the "fluency" to play what they hear, but it's also absolute mastery of the fretboard and the ability to instantly nail any interval or harmony.  And when all that is mastered, than it's a matter of creativity and musical storytelling.  What's great is that this is a lifelong quest.