Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mini Fly?  (Read 2073 times)

Offline P e t e r

Mini Fly?
« on: May 20, 2008, 01:55:07 PM »
I recently had the chance to play the Brian May Mini-May, and as I was looking at the post about the Parker wall clock I thought an import P-44 as a mini guitar would be a pretty neat thing.  Any comments?

Mini Fly?

Offline tildeslash

Mini Fly?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 04:51:12 PM »
How was the Mini May - Wide Fretboard?
I am thinking about getting one for my son.

Mini Fly?

Offline P e t e r

Mini Fly?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 08:52:40 PM »
I only played it for a few minutes, but these were my impressions.  First, it was not a wide fingerboard.  It had almost a mandolin feel, but not THAT small.  I have never played a mini guitar before, so I really have nothing to compare it to.  Also, I played this one just about right out of the box, so there was no chance to do any sort of setup.   Second, even when tuned to pitch the strings had a loose feel, as evidenced by being able to stretch a third string 7th fret D up to G with no effort.  I don't know if it is the guitar or the string gauge used.  In the future I MIGHT have the opportunity to experiment with 9's or 10's, (not my guitar) but certainly nothing heavier.  Third, I thought the build quality was pretty good.  Made in China.  I liked the look which is what made me think of the Parker.  I think a mini P-44 would look very cool.

I think it would be a good guitar for a young son or daughter, and heck, if they don't like it you can keep it.  If you're like me, you spend more than that on strings in a year.

Mini Fly?

Offline jamrcat

Mini Fly?
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 02:10:49 PM »
I use to own a Fender P Bass half scale and a Strat half scale (Made In Japan). My 10 year old at the time started playing bass guitar for us. It was a fun thing to have around and something she could handle. She later got an Alembic - I don't know whatever happened to either of them. Probably got sold, but they were fun when we had them! [:D]

"A Fly for each hand!"
"A Fly for each hand!"