Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PLEASE HELP ME!  (Read 6592 times)

Offline bleach13

PLEASE HELP ME!
« on: August 01, 2005, 07:27:28 PM »
ok my dad wont let me get a parker till i give him a good reason. i have told him everything i can think of so please post all the good things that might change his  mind!

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline loumt123

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 07:33:39 PM »
Well he might have good reason. What is your status as a musician, your age, how long you've been playing, previous guitars you've owned. If you are just a 14 year old kid playing in local hardcore/emo bands personally I don't think theres a reason for you to get a parker.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline bleach13

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 09:11:56 PM »
dude im 15 been playing since i was 10 and can play just about every cky song ever to come out perfectly plus its my b.day (you almost had my age dead on lol) and i have a schecter and a fender
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 09:13:34 PM by bleach13 »

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline loumt123

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 09:58:32 PM »
Haha I guess you found out about parker through deron huh? Do you take private lessons? I'd reccomend it as long as your very serious about guitar...open to new genres of music..jazz...classical...fusion. I personally think that's what the guitar is designed for- a large tonal pallete. If your just into rock or metal you could get a guitar specifically for shred, or, may i suggest the p series? The P44 is a nice guitar [:D]

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline 908ssp

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 10:20:33 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by cmpkllyrslf96

Well he might have good reason. What is your status as a musician, your age, how long you've been playing, previous guitars you've owned. If you are just a 14 year old kid playing in local hardcore/emo bands personally I don't think theres a reason for you to get a parker.

You're 16 you have two. [^]

Alex
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
1999 Parker NiteFly S/S/H NFV7
2005 Emerald Acoustic X10
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline loumt123

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 11:10:15 PM »
I have one...i certainly wouldn't mind two...but I do put it to good use...I work my ass off to learn as much as I can too..believe me...I wouldn't get a guitar unless I used it to it's fullest...my point was, the hardcore/emo scene is pretty ridiculous...they don't actually know what they are playing. It's pointless to have a high end guitar if you don't put it to good use. I'd like to sit one of them in front of a piece of music and see them try to sight read it, or analyze a jazz chord progression. By the way, 908ssP, what kind of music do you play?

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline 908ssp

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 11:47:55 PM »
I just thought it was pretty funny your advice since you're only a year older. It really doesn't mater how old you are if you or your parents can afford a Fly it is fine by me. I worked an entire summer doing odd jobs gardening and cutting lawns to get my first electric guitar which I didn't get to pick out myself and ended up with the equivalent of a Squire. I play blues and classic rock for the most part. I am also 53 years young. And only got my first Parker a little more then a year ago. But I have had a couple dozen Guitars since I started playing.

Alex
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline loumt123

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 09:48:42 AM »
just my honest opinion, personally, why by a 2 grand fly deluxe if ur just going to play power chords..isn't it better off for a person into that stuff to get maybe a cheaper "shred" style guitar. It's not benefeting parker, but it is saving a person quite a bit of money

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline JPage

• http://www.parkerguitars.com
PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 11:50:18 AM »
Which model are you thinking about getting???

JP

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline corksailor

• http://fwperry.net
PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 01:29:26 PM »
With a little more age on things (58... geezer) I can see in a lot of areas of life there are users and collectors... people are into quality sound equipment--- some collect it, connect it, push it, abuse it, mod it, and even occasionally listen seriously to sounds from it.  

Some are into photography... some collect every lens and camera you can think of, with flashes and triggers and filters and remotes, and occasionally they might take a good picture.

What I'm getting at is that the music business is a little like that as well.... we play, and we collect.  Some of the collecting is on the elusive hunt for the perfect sound, which we seldom find... and some of it is justified in being able to provide what is needed for a specific purpose.  Some of it, though fun, is just collecting.

So, is the Parker fulfilling a need for the sound that you want, the sound that is you?  Or is is just another neat rig that catches someone's eye and says, "Wow, what kind of axe is that???"

If you really need it, the answer to that is obvious... get a job and buy one for yourself!!!

And cmpkllyrslf96 isn't too far off in questioning how much you are willing to put into this guitar stuff... younger players are often shocked to hear that a lot of the lead players today took a lot of music theory along the way, which isn't easy... (still learning).  A lot of players come and go, both in their success with it and with their own interest and work ethic.

(Down from the soapbox now...   :o)

Corksailor
P-38
Fender Ultimate Chorus
Little Peavey
Seagull Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string
Corksailor
P-38 /Roland Acoustic
Fender Ultimate Chorus
Peavey Audition practice
Seagull/Alvarez/Yamaha12
Acoustics
Yamaha Magicstomp

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline bleach13

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 03:39:39 PM »
i want a p-44 and have never had the thought of quiting

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline bno

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 04:33:24 PM »
Here's 2 more cents of unsolicited grizzly old fart wisdom:

Dude - you don't need to change his mind, you need to change yours.

My experience is that the musical life is a bit of a viscious circle.  You get interested in music, buy a cheap guitar and amp, try to learn to how to play it, get a few gigs with your pals, make a little money, spend that money on a new guitar, practice, get better, play a few more gigs, buy a new amp, get better, play more gigs, buy a better guitar, play more gigs, buy a better amp, play more gigs, get a second guitar so you can have two different sounds, take lessons, realize you don't know enough, play gigs, pay for more lessons and a new amp and a new guitar, play some gigs, pay for lessons, buy tools so you can modify your guitars on your own, play more gigs, start making stomp boxes because how you sound becomes as important as how you play, play more gigs, buy more guitars, gadgets, amps, lessons, sell half your gear because you're getting serious about it and you need pay for real music school, play more gigs, buy recording time, buy recording gear, buy more guitars, amps, picks, strings, parts, cases, effects, play more gigs because you borrowed money to pay for college, guitars, amps, picks, strings, parts, cases, effects, beer (oops), and it just goes on and on and on....

and finally, you'll get to buy a vintage Parker Fly Flamed Maple Mojo in a custom color, a old Maven Peal Ganesha and be happy looking back at a half lifetime of pursuing music becuase you loved doing it.  And looking forward to the other half because you still enjoy doing it.....

If you REALLY want something, you'll figure out how to get it without your parents.  Your parents are there to encourage, praise, admonish, criticize, and provide a reason for therapy later in life.  Eventually, if you're so inclined and lucky enough, you have kids of your own and learn more about your parents than you thought you knew.  For what its worth, my father bought me my first keyboard when I was 14 and that was the one and only musical instrument he got for me.  But he encouraged me all along.  Since that time I figure I've purchased a dozen amps, some 20 guitars (six of which I still own (I still own my first "real" guitar - a '65 Gretsch Corvette)) and tens of thousands of dollars in keyboards, gear, recording equipment, studio time.  I will confess that the parents did help me with money for college - which favor I shall return to my own kids.

So, I'm telling you, if you really want it, you can do it on your own.  You don't need permission.  You don't need his wallet.  You just need desire and a will to make it happen.  Besides, the satisfaction of becomming your own person on your own terms is worth the price you'll have to pay.

And as long as I'm on my soap box.  Dont' forget to protect your ears along the way.  Once you wreck them they're wrecked for good.  

'nuff said.

Parker - the only way to Fly!  
Battleship Gray '94 Fly Deluxe wearing Elixer Polyweb 10-46
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline loumt123

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 08:02:51 PM »
Truth of the matter is though, Bno, when you're 14 it's often hard to save up for a parker. Summer jobs don't pay much. I'm thankful my parent's helped me pay for my nitefly, and have supported me thus far. It's part of my motivation for learning as much as i can [:D]. And corksailor is right...there are ALOT of people who know much more then I would have guessed. Some use it in different ways than others. Skimming through the channels one night I saw simple-plan's guitarist warm up with some sweep arpeggios. That was quite a surprise...because it always sounded like that band knew nothing more than power chords [xx(]

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline bno

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2005, 10:20:43 AM »
Oh, believe me I understand that.  The real truth of the matter is that it isn't easy at 14 or 54.  I was trying to put it in the context of a musical lifetime.  If he can't get the Parker right now because he can't afford it - which is a VERY common problem for everyone - don't dispair.  Plan A, getting it for a birthday present, isn't getting much traction.  Plan B is making a work and save plan to get it eventually and that may take years.  In any event, there's Plan C - a P44 is probably attainable simply by selling off or trade one of the other guitars (he has two - personally, I'd sell the Fender) and somehow strike a deal to scrape up the rest of the cash between a loan (not gift - take on some responsibility) and doing some kind of work for a neighbor or something.  In the mean time, use those other six string tools to get better and make the final acquisition all the more sweeter.  Its life, you gotta work all the angles, have a backup plan.  Heck, I'll bet if he offers to sell/trade one of his other guitars the old man might soften up.  It shows some guts and a willingness to pay a price.  Which ties into your comment that your parents "helped" you - which means you have a stake in the Nitefly and appreciate its value.  

The point is that there is always a way.  "You can't always get what you want..." is as true today as when that young man sang it not so long ago.  You don't need permission to be a musician (hey, I like the sound of that, that could get turned into a riff).  bleach13 is experiencing a universal lament - he want's something.  Now he's gotta figure out how badly and what he's willing to do to get it.  Even if he has to wait until he's 15....

Now, I just reread his first post and "won't let me get" means that he already has the means to get it.  So all of this philosophizing may be moot.  If that's the case, its deal time - make an offer that father can't refuse.  Like, "I'll trade in one guitar and turn in all of my homework on time and keep my stuff cleaned up and help around the house without being asked and shovel the walks and mow the lawn, etc."  Don't dispair, there's always a way.

Peace.

bno

Parker - the only way to Fly!  
Battleship Gray '94 Fly Deluxe wearing Elixer Polyweb 10-46
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline 908ssp

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005, 10:59:01 AM »
Hey Bno I agree with everything you said. And is was said very nicely too. [^]

Alex
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
Alex