Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PLEASE HELP ME!  (Read 6595 times)

Offline bno

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2005, 04:12:32 PM »
Thanks, Alex.  I guess I'm still trying to recruit musicians.  Always room for more.  By the way, I have lurked your posts here and followed you over to thegearpage.  And thanks to that I have put together a much more toneful rig - a modded '66 Bassman AB165/AA864 with a Fender Princeton on the side for the Piezos.  Nice.  And next I'm looking into actually building an AX84 or 18Watt combo.  Still possessed by the gear slut demon.  The only difference between way back then and now is that I rationalizing permission for the next purchase to my wife and kids instead of my father.  And I still have to save up for the stuff.  I try to only spend what I've made gigging (which is tough when you only play a half dozen or so dates a year).  

Parker - the only way to Fly!  
Battleship Gray '94 Fly Deluxe wearing Elixer Polyweb 10-46
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline corksailor

• http://fwperry.net
PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2005, 04:48:29 AM »
bno... I usually can confuse my wife with an, "I'll sell this and this..." and she doesn't usually reaize that I lost $500 on what I paid for it in the first place (usually I don't either until I sit back and count, but by then I have the new piece in hand)...

Don't want to take this next query far, since it belongs in another forum, but did you presumably find the Princeton could handle the highs of the piezo?  I use a Fender Ultimate Chorus, cousin of the Princeton, and I found the highs had to be rolled off or they were terrible.  I installed a set of crossovers and tweeters... much improved.  Could be the Princeton has 10" speakers where the UC has 12" .... (I'm assuming the Princeton has 10)

Corksailor
P-38
Fender Ultimate Chorus
Little Peavey
Seagull Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string
Corksailor
P-38 /Roland Acoustic
Fender Ultimate Chorus
Peavey Audition practice
Seagull/Alvarez/Yamaha12
Acoustics
Yamaha Magicstomp

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline Rozz

• http://www.myspace.com/slicknickelbandyuamaz
PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2005, 07:04:00 PM »
I get this question alot from people who are starting to play or have kids who show the drive and want to move up.  For me the answer is simple...a good playing instrument is eaiser for the student/player to learn on.  A bad playing instrument makes a talented musician take up soccer.  I've been playing the guitar for 39 yaers and I got my Parker Classic about four years ago.  My playing has improved two-fold since I started playing the Fly Classic.  My desire to play grew like crazy.  Play the best instrument you can afford, and remember this...a $3000 Gibson plays nice, but a $3000 Parker or even a $800 P-Series smokes 'em dude.  If you can prove to your ole man that you have the drive and do what it takes attitude you can sell him on the Parker issue.  Dad's like value for their money...trust me...show him value in yourself then show him the reports and stats etc. on the Parker guitars and you just might get somewhere.  Good Luck!   Never Stop Playing.

Jerry Rosner
Original Yuma, Arizona Mad Man
Emerald Green Fly Classic
P-36
Gibson Chet Atkins Nylon
Vetta II
Gallien Kruger Guitar Amp through 4X10 Yamaha Cab.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 07:05:33 PM by Rozz »
Jerry Rosner
Original Yuma, Arizona Mad Man
Emerald Green Fly Classic
P-36
Gibson Chet Atkins Nylon
Line Six Vetta II
Genz Benz Shannandoah Acoustic Amp.  4X10

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline Ocker

• http://www.shesayselectric.com
PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2005, 07:55:24 PM »
I would support that statement 100% Rozz

Only through death may one truly live!
(soon to have 2005 Mojo Flame)
2003 MWC handcrafted Dragonfly W GK internal
1988 Vantage Vp850 W GK2
A myriad of accoustics
VG*8ex
GR*30
Rawda industries custom pedal board
A plethora of effects
1974 VT Twin 60
1972 VT Phasor Twin
2006 P8En
2005 Mojo Flame BCH
2000 Fly Classic *hardtail*
1988 Vantage Vp850 W GK2
A myriad of accoustics
VG*8ex
GR*30
A plethora of effects
1974 VT Twin 60
1972 VT Phasor Twin

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline loumt123

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2005, 09:05:20 PM »
I would disagree with that statement..the player makes the guitar sound good. The guitar can only do so much. Of course it wil lbe easier to learn on a decent quality guitar as opposed to a squier or low end beginner guitar..but once it gets to a certain point i think there are only minor differences that are subject to personal opinion. It's hard to put it in the right words but I hope you get what I'm saying haha. It may or may not be easier to learn on a parker as opposed to that 3 grand gibson. It is a fact it is built much better then other low end guitars. It's all about how it feels in your hands, and what is most comfortable to you, and that is what will determine how you learn, and develop technique on your guitar. All I can say is, go try out a few. I would never blindly buy a guitar. So if you haven't played a couple different guitars, It would be a good idea.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline JSanta

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2005, 11:32:06 PM »
I just want to interject that there are TONS of great guitarists in emo/hardcore bands.  Just look at their chord structures, even their time signatures.  Just because a guitarist doesn't feel the need to shred in every song doesn't mean they can't play.  Many of us (epecially those of us that are still young) need to be much more open-minded.  A nice guitar is good for any genre of music.  

-Jim

"Do not speak.  Unless it improves on silence."
           -Buddha
« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 07:46:09 PM by JSanta »

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline Ocker

• http://www.shesayselectric.com
PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2005, 10:45:53 AM »
Amen JSanta!

(soon to have 2005 Mojo Flame)
1988 Vantage Vp850 W GK2
A myriad of accoustics
VG*8ex
GR*30
A plethora of effects
1974 VT Twin 60
1972 VT Phasor Twin
2006 P8En
2005 Mojo Flame BCH
2000 Fly Classic *hardtail*
1988 Vantage Vp850 W GK2
A myriad of accoustics
VG*8ex
GR*30
A plethora of effects
1974 VT Twin 60
1972 VT Phasor Twin

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline loumt123

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2005, 08:22:32 PM »
i still have yet to see any intelligent chord structures used with any of these bands. unless you can name some? From what i've heard of my chemical romance it sounds like they ATTEMPTED to try to make their music somewhat notable but it didnt hit home with me.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline JSanta

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2005, 12:09:54 AM »
Here is my list, if this doesn't please you I regret trying to prove you wrong:
-The Tea Party: Transmission

-Radiohead: Paranoid Android
-Averi: Numb
-Incubus: Pardon Me, Sick Sad Little World
-Thrice
-Thursday
-Killswitch Engage
-Unearth
-As I Lay Dying
-Juliana Theory
-Coheed and Cambria
...My point is, the list goes on and on.  You have simply made up your mind that nearly all mainstream bands are untalented.  Don't be so pretentious and open up your ears.  Enjoy all kinds of music.  Being an egotistical know-it-all gets few far in life.  I don't want to come across as mean, but music is one of the most subjective issues in the world.  Most of my friends listen to Dream Theater and get VERY VERY bored after a few minutes.  But that is why music is so great, there are so many different kinds, nearly something for everyone.

EDIT:  I would also like to add that when I think of emo or hardcore, the last band that comes to mind is My Chemical Romance.  They are a POP band.  You yourself had mentioned that you like BTBAM, and many people consider them to fit in the hardcore/metalcore genre, including myself.

-Jim

-Buddha
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 08:39:44 AM by JSanta »

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline loumt123

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2005, 08:56:41 AM »
I do not the MCR or BTBAM, I mentioned that BTBAM's guitarist has talent. The above bands you mentioned I wouldn't consider hardcore or emo really. There's a problem with local "Scene" kids here in NJ, it's like a real big thing. I'm talking about what they consider to be emo or hardcore. I wish I had an example of some bands....www.skysetunfold.com and any band linked to their page...local garbage...It's not even about music anymore I have to put up with kids that the type of tatoo they have or how "scene" they are determines their status. I honestly don't mean to be ripping on these genre's of music but when you have to put up with kids that play in these bands, when you personally know them, and they have no idea what they are playing and its about who wears the tightest girl pants..it makes me want to put an end to the trend.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline loumt123

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2005, 09:02:52 AM »
And by the way I think their are MANY mainstream bands with talent. I don't particularly like all of them but I have given respect to those who deserve it IE mark tremonti of creed, BTBAM, Even simple plan's guitarist, who knows what he's doing. I don't listen to them, but they deserve credit. I've NEVER made up my mind mainstream bands are untalented so don't accuse. I don't think you've quite understood the type of music I'm talking about here. NJ local hardcore, seriously, check out that link, you'll want to stick forks in your ears. When a band just randomly hits strings and screams how is that music? There have been times bands at local shows got someone to scream random things bc the singer didnt show...and no one knew the difference. THAT is talent? If i hear one more band associated with the word "core" I'm going to explode.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline JSanta

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2005, 09:14:27 AM »
I didn't misunderstand you at all.  But you seem to think that because a certain type of music doesn't meet your criteria, it is a less valid form of musical expression, and it is not.  I played shows with all of those types of bands, and I got to meet their members, and MOST of them know what they are doing, they just decide to use their talent in another way.  None have the  right to say something IS NOT music because we either don't like it or don't get it.  If you don't like screamo or emo or whatever, DON'T listen.  (I would however be curious to hear what you think about rap and hip-hop though.  I would venture a guess that you aren't very fond of that either).  Don't invalidate a certain genre of music because you don't like it.

One other thing...a good friend of mine that I went to high school with played in a emo/hardcore band and he was hands down one of the most amazing guitarist I have ever met.  Even though I am only a few years older than you I have those years of experience to tell me one things:  Being close-minded gets you nowhere.  I used to think that if a person couldn't play guitar like Rusty Cooley, or sing like Daniel Gildenlow, then they were just wasting my time.  But that is truly not the case.  I found out one thing though; my friends thought I was a ******* because of my single-mindedness.  Being in bands also helped to open my eyes, and especially working with industry people.  No one will ever be in a band with ass for too long, and that is a lesson that can only be learned the hard way. I understand how some of those 'kids' act at shows and school, but don't expend your enery hating them.  Let them have their music and you can have yours.  You will be a better person for taking the high road.

-Jim

-Buddha
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 03:48:41 PM by JSanta »

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline loumt123

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2005, 06:49:34 PM »
well from personal experience knowing these people here i know they don't know what they are doing because i've jammed with some of them. I still don't think we are talking about the same kind of music. check out that link.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline loumt123

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2005, 06:52:33 PM »
And on the subject of rap and hip hop, personally it's not my thing but there are artists i think are very talented at what they do. Their are some artists who i don't think have flow or can rhyme, and others who really make hip hop worth listening to. It's surprising because quite a few of the good hip hop artists can also play an instrument, produce, mix, etc.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline JSanta

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2005, 07:46:19 PM »
Trust me, I know those kinds of bands.  That scene is HUGE here.  You are allowed to have your opinions, and they are completely valid OPINIONS.  Jus don't jam with them anymore.  Still be nice and don't treat them like crap at shows.  Make as many bridges as you can, they serve well in the future.

-Jim

-Buddha