Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PLEASE HELP ME!  (Read 6596 times)

Offline Lwinn171

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2007, 10:26:31 AM »
When I was 10, my cousin had a guitar, and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I had taken piano for a couple of years, and showed my folks I had indeed been blessed with my Dad's musical abilities, and not my Mom's lack thereof. Around 11 I started begging for an electric, and my folks said this: "play this acoustic (Dad's Martin 0-16 NY) and if you can learn and show interest we'll talk about an electric". The heavy (to my young fingers) strings made it tough to get started, but I got through it, and learned to tune, play chords, etc... On my 12th birthday, I got my first electric, a 65 Fender Musicmaster. Not the Strat I wanted, but a decent guitar for starting out. That is the first and last guitar they ever bought me. But they always encouraged me to continue, paying for lessons, tolerating the obscene noises coming from my bedroom (remember that angry young rock is tough on a parents ears).

They also taught me that if I wanted something, I had to earn it. I know that isn't what a young guy wants to hear, but you have to understand (and one day you will) that earning what you get makes you appreciate it all the more. You'll take better care of it. You'll be a better person. You'll have pride in your accomplishment, and you'll hold your head higher than the guy whose dad buys them anything they ask for. THAT'S the guy you want to be! That's the guy your parents want you to be, too, and they want the best for you, always.

I know Fly's are expensive. I didn't get one till I was 38, and it's the most expensive guitar I've ever owned. Of course you shouldn't have to wait nearly as long as I did, and I should have gotten one of these a long time ago (and would have if I'd known what I was missing out on). They are, to me, the holy grail of guitars. It's not too much, then, to expect that getting your hands on one be a quest of sorts.

The trick to saving up is to start. Work hard, and don't blow your money on useless crap. If you work hard, save your money, and show some promise as a musician, maybe the folks will see you are really serious and will help you over the hump to get one, maybe pitching in some bucks to seal the deal on a good used Fly. But I do feel it is important that you make most of the sacrifices necessary to get one, cause it'll make you a better person. And this world needs all of those it can get.

Good luck, and please understand that I mean what I say with all sincerity, and I hope you can understand (you eventually will, if not now) that I speak the truth (as best I can).[;)]

Edit: Upon rereading, I realize my parents sound a bit harsh, perhaps. They always provided me with everything I needed, including several years of quite expensive college funds. I had cleats and soccer balls, bikes, my first car ($500 VW beetle). Most important, I had they're love and support. My parents have always helped me with things I truly needed. I find they are more than willing to help with the things you need, if you don't always ask them for the things you merely want. That's a critical distinction...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 10:58:54 AM by Lwinn171 »

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline 908ssp

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2007, 01:19:36 PM »
Nice post.[:)]

[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline mountaindewaddict

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2007, 02:46:48 PM »
Hey Bleach - I started playing at your age (okay, I was 12, now I'm 31) before Parker was even around.  I have a P-44, and you will love it.  Here's the magic word: COMPROMISE!  I agree with what was stated earlier - get a job and save up.  But, see if your dad will work with you.  Ask him to contribute to your "guitar fund" for doing extra chores around the house (For example, mow the yard, dust the furniture, do laundry, washe the car, clean up the garage).  He'll get something out of it, and you'll show him that your serious about this guitar!  Forget all this serious stuff about making money and music theory on here (trust me, there's time for that later), you're a kid!  Have fun!  Enjoy the journey of learning to play guitar!

MountainDewAddict

Gear:
Parker P-44, Ibanez GAX 70, Takamine G-Series,  Digitech GNX4, Yamaha Magicstomp, Crate Powerblock 150, Various other assorted pedals and gizmos

"Remember, if at first you don't succeed, you're doing it wrong."

God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

PLEASE HELP ME!

jwrooker

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2007, 03:32:03 PM »
Hey guys, are we really replying to a guy who posted here two years ago and hasn't been back since?

John
Rochester, NY
* 96 Fly Standard * 98 Fly Classic w/Gen 1's
* 98 Fly Classic w/Gen 2's * 01 Fly Single 2
* 02 NiteFly M w/Virtual PAF's * 03 Fly Mojo W/Pearly Gates
* 05 Southern NiteFly
Parker Chat: http://www.jwrooker.com/mychat

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline jamrcat

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2007, 07:36:57 PM »
From 8/31/2005 to 7/19/2007 is a long time to think about a response! [:D] It could happen! [:0]

01' Parker Fly Classic "Natural" w/SD Black Backs (Thanks Jay)
93' Parker Fly Deluxe hardtail RP "Blackie" KP Signature (Thank You! Bob & Ken)
D-Tar Mama Bear, and a 2FlyBob (Thanks Paul!)

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline bno

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2007, 07:37:34 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by jwrooker

Hey guys, are we really replying to a guy who posted here two years ago and hasn't been back since?
Party pooper.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline Lwinn171

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2007, 10:42:25 PM »
Wow. I hadn't noticed the dates, only that the topic had come back up to the top. I thought it was a new post! Oh well, my advice is there for anyone else to read, should they care to...

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline Yoyo

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2007, 01:39:24 AM »
I enjoyed reading it.
The only thing that exists is this moment now.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline Eruption

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2007, 04:37:06 PM »
Yallo,I am 13 and own a fly deluxe[i'm not rich].LIFE IS SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2007 Parker Fly Deluxe
2001 Yamaha DG60
...and some more secrets...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 09:33:43 AM by Eruption »
'07 Fly Deluxe- Dusty Black
'10 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus
'11 Suhr Modern Custom (ON ORDER)
'10 Mesa/Boogie Mark V head
'00s Randall MTS 2x12
TC Electronic Flashback Delay/ISP Decimator
...and some strange beautiful secrets...

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline Eruption

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2007, 04:39:22 PM »
Yallo again,Dad said he was DONE with repairing my import guitars and for 4 years in school straight A's got me my deluxe.

2007 Parker Fly Deluxe
2001 Yamaha DG60
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 09:34:05 AM by Eruption »
'00s Randall MTS 2x12

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline Lwinn171

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2007, 04:58:15 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Eruption

Dad said he was DONE with repairing my import guitars and for 4 years in school straight A's got me my deluxe.

2007 Parker Fly Deluxe
2001 Yamaha DG60

I'd say four years of straight A's earned that Deluxe. Congrats! Keep that up for ten more years, get a good job, then start the collection. You'll have more of them than me in no time![:D]

« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 05:00:42 PM by Lwinn171 »

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline Eruption

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2007, 05:08:40 PM »
Yallo Lwinn171,How many you got?

2007 Parker Fly Deluxe
2001 Yamaha DG60
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 09:34:59 AM by Eruption »
'00s Randall MTS 2x12

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline Lwinn171

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2007, 06:27:18 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Eruption

How many you got?

2007 Parker Fly Deluxe
2001 Yamaha DG60

Just two Classics... It's all I need, though of course I'd love to have them all. Next on my list is a Deluxe, maybe a blue one...

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe

PLEASE HELP ME!

Offline JSanta

PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2007, 06:43:21 PM »
It's weird because I started reading this topic like it was new and then I realized I had posted in it several times a couple of years ago.  How life has changed...

/jim