Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Forearm rotation  (Read 1740 times)

Offline simonlock

Forearm rotation
« on: September 04, 2008, 01:34:01 PM »
I've been reading and looking closely at the forearm rotation of both arms during play. I am starting to realize the importance of it and have noticed that I tend to keep them pretty stiff. From what I can tell most of the pick and finger power rely on slight forearm rotation. When I play with loose forearms I play with more fluidity and my feeling is conveyed much better. Anyone else have any ideas on how to promote or exploit forearm rotation?

Simon
Vancouver,BC
A Whole Mess of Flys and I Love Them ALL!!!!!

Forearm rotation

Offline mountaindewaddict

Forearm rotation
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 02:50:59 PM »
Simon, for clarification, rotation on which axis?  Along the bones, or in opposition to them (like the angle of the forearm - parallel or perpendicular to the floor)?

Casey

Gear:
Parker P-44, Digitech GNX4, other stuff...
"Remember, if at first you don't succeed, you're doing it wrong."
God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Forearm rotation

Offline simonlock

Forearm rotation
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
The two bones that make up your forearm cross when you turn your hand like you're opening a door. If they're locked it causes problems. They need to stay loose because as the fingers move the bones have to follow without resistance. Same goes for your picking hand but on a small scale playing fast and a large scale say when you are strumming a la flamenco.

Simon
Vancouver,BC
A Whole Mess of Flys and I Love Them ALL!!!!!

Forearm rotation

Offline mountaindewaddict

Forearm rotation
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 10:07:24 AM »
Okay, gotcha!  Yeah, I think staying loose through the forearm is crucial to fluid playing.  I'm much more comfortable as a strummer, so one of the main challenges is to stay loose when using a hybrid style like big strumming on a verse, but switching to a more aggressive, downstroke / power chord style for the verse.  You can wear out your arm pretty quick if you don't keep it loose.

As has been discussed elsewhere, one of the main things is just to breathe right while you play.  I tend to tense up when I'm really into something, and it takes a concious effort to loosen up and breathe.  One of the most interesting ways I find to stay loose is to play my acoustic for a while, then pick up the Parker.  I find I'm much more fluid on the electric after that.

Casey

Gear:
Parker P-44, Digitech GNX4, other stuff...
"Remember, if at first you don't succeed, you're doing it wrong."
God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!