Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: a tabs forum  (Read 3541 times)

Offline on the fly

• http://www.myspace.com/aheavenlyshore
a tabs forum
« on: July 18, 2008, 10:18:14 PM »
we need a place to place our tabs!!!!!!!
IMPROVISE!!!!!!

a tabs forum

Offline loumt123

a tabs forum
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 01:23:32 AM »
what is tablature?

a tabs forum

Offline Strandwolf

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577969013
a tabs forum
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 01:41:07 AM »
Louis Armstrong, when asked if he could "read music", replied, "Not well enough to hurt my playing."
Parkers: Pick, cap, T-shirt, clock, and other assorted accouterments

a tabs forum

Offline PeterMa

a tabs forum
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 12:17:13 PM »
There are currently a lot of copywrighting issues with tablature & the sites that disseminate tablature.  Even the bigger tab spots are having legal trouble or have been shut down.

Maybe here is not the greatest spot for a tab archive.

Just my 2 cents.
Peter in MA.

a tabs forum

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
a tabs forum
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 12:44:08 PM »
I thought tabs was reading music [:D]

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup

a tabs forum

Offline loumt123

a tabs forum
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 06:05:47 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by PeterMa

There are currently a lot of copywrighting issues with tablature & the sites that disseminate tablature.  Even the bigger tab spots are having legal trouble or have been shut down.

Just my 2 cents.

Peter in MA.

bingo

a tabs forum

jwrooker

a tabs forum
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 06:56:01 PM »
quote:

Just my 2 cents.

Peter in MA.

And the ones that survive aren't hosted in the US.  [8D]

John

98 Fly Classic w/ Gen 1's - 98 Fly Classic w/ VPAF's
99 Fly Deluxe w/Gen 1's -  03 Fly Mojo w/ Pearly Gates (soon w/RMC)
02 NiteFly M w/ VPAFS & GK3 - Gobson ES-339 w/ GK-3
Roland VG-99 & GR-20

a tabs forum

Offline darth_b

a tabs forum
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 08:43:47 AM »
Agreed this is probably not the place for a tab site.  But can those of you that have found good tab sites post the site info?  I've only been playing a couple of years, and when I search for tabs there are hundreds of sites with tab.  I'm sure that some are better than others but I'm just randomly trying them. I'm sure I'm not alone in this search - or am I?

Brian
Parker P-44 with a Line 6 Spider Jam - Don't Judge Me!
Brian
Parker P-44 with a Line 6 Spider Jam - More than enough for me!

a tabs forum

Offline simonlock

a tabs forum
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 09:46:46 AM »
I may have found an absolute MESS of tabs by using torrrent sites. I MAY NOT have downloaded them though ;) The only drawback is that you can't just download "the song" you're after.

Simon
Vancouver,BC
A Whole Mess of Flys and I Love Them ALL!!!!!

a tabs forum

Offline mojotron

• http://www.mojotronics.com
a tabs forum
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 12:33:27 PM »
The best way to learn the music behind the songs is to learn all minor and major, pentatonic and blues 2 octave scales then get some software like "The Amazing Slow Downer" (for less than $50 - there is free SW as well). Then when you run into some things that you don't understand you know to ask questions and you will find answers that will then teach you all of the theory behind the music you like.

It will take longer to learn the first few songs by ear using the slow speed method, but once your ear and your hands are connected you will be way, way, further than you would be if you just used tab. After a while you will be able to hear something at full speed and just play it if you had figured out something similar before and your hands and ears are in synch. Best of all, once you have some practice at this - if you have an mp3 you have all you need to learn the song - perhaps better then the guy that wrote the tab.

a tabs forum

Offline Steel Pelican

• http://www.modernwhaling.com
a tabs forum
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 12:43:39 PM »
quote:

This is just the sort of thing that drives me bonkers.  I understand the need for copyright, but this is an example of copyright gone too far- beyond protecting an artist's work, and into protecting a corporation's (mostly Alfred's, I'd suspect) profit margins.  Musicians sharing their skills and educating each other is absolutely essential to the development of the artform.  

Next thing you know, they'll be shuttering our forum threads about technique, for violation of Mel Bay's copyrights.

The publication of printed musical transcriptions is becoming an archaic distribution method, and transcription houses need to adapt or die, like any other business.  It's not the duty of the courts to protect a failing business model.  If Alfred's et al. (and the record companies who profit from the licensing) can't compete in a world where musician-to-musician transcription and education is widespread and useful, then they need to cut their losses, instead of hiding behind "copyright" to keep their sinking ship afloat.

Want to beat the tab sites?  Offer what they don't.  Customers will pay more, if you can offer more than what they can get for free.  As an example, Emperor's transcription book gets you 13 tracks of guitar and bass transcripts, transcribed by the man who wrote them, and a CD to play along with, all for less than $20, direct from the record label.  Compare that to the shoddy, inaccurate tab books you'd get for a Metallica album, for the same price.  If you want to beat the internet,  you need to innovate and improve quality, instead of litigating.

-Greg
-----------
'97 Classic Fly, Trans. Red
Mesa/Boogie DC-5
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 12:56:40 PM by Steel Pelican »

a tabs forum

Offline 908ssp

a tabs forum
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 02:45:07 PM »
Actually there are pay sites for legal TAB down loads. Runs about 99 cents per song. Sheet music is rarely written by the composer for pop material and is often as inaccurate as fan tab. Beatles song books were written in the wrong key for years. Music publishing used to be huge money maker for the publisher and the song writer, tab and the internet has killed that and it is illegal so it isn't exactly just an innocent I'll show you mine if you show me yours any more. Is a new system over due yes but should song writers give away their intellectually property of free? If you were the song writer would you?
[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

a tabs forum

Offline Steel Pelican

• http://www.modernwhaling.com
a tabs forum
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 03:24:54 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp

If you were the song writer would you?
[^]
Alex

Well, if it were me, I probably would, and make $ on performance and merchandise.  But that's just me.  Well, me and Trent Reznor.  And Radiohead.

In a way, though, they are giving it a way for free when they release it to the public, especially since it can be deconstructed and recreated by other musicians.   Do I owe Sean Connery money every time I do a horrible James Bond impression?

But truthfully, the rise of internet tab is just the market filling a hole left by the publishers.  Musicians clearly need an alternative to the wholly overpriced and wholly inaccurate transcriptions available.  Even though internet tabs are usually even less accurate, at least the price is right.  

There's plenty of existing models where people still spend money, despite the free alternative:
Radio (free) vs. recordings (pay)
Broadcast TV (free) vs. cable TV (pay)
Movies on TV (free) vs. movies in theaters (pay)
Walking (free) vs. driving (pay)
Libraries (free) vs. bookstores (pay)
Tap water (free) vs. bottled (pay)
Wikipedia (free) vs. Britannica (pay)
and so on, ad infitum.

But why try to compete with the free alternative when you can send threatening DMCA takedown notices, and hide behind courts and lawyers?

-Greg
-----------
'97 Classic Fly, Trans. Red
Mesa/Boogie DC-5
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 03:29:01 PM by Steel Pelican »

a tabs forum

Offline 908ssp

a tabs forum
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 08:30:50 PM »
Sorry but not one item in your list is free. You're fooled by deferred payment. Every item you buy charges you for the advertising they do which in turn pays for your "free" radio and TV. And Taxes pay for the rest. Air is still free nothing else.
[^]

Alex

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 08:31:32 PM by 908ssp »
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

a tabs forum

Offline PeterMa

a tabs forum
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 11:58:24 PM »
quote:

This is just the sort of thing that drives me bonkers.  I understand the need for copyright, but this is an example of copyright gone too far- beyond protecting an artist's work, and into protecting a corporation's (mostly Alfred's, I'd suspect) profit margins.  Musicians sharing their skills and educating each other is absolutely essential to the development of the artform.  

There is absolutely nothing wrong with learning to play by ear, ya know, like in the old days, 10 years ago before Al Gore invented the Internets that Bush uses.[:D][xx(]
Peter in MA.