Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reworked my New Old S2  (Read 1205 times)

Offline 908ssp

Reworked my New Old S2
« on: July 24, 2008, 04:13:01 PM »
I got this a few weeks ago I just really like the single coil sound on these Deluxe Flys. This one had a better than stock humbucker sound because the previous owner had changed the humbucker magnet from ceramic to alnico which did seem to make the tone more appropriate for the bridge position. But I had in mind an experiment I wanted to try. I changed out the bridge humbucker for a single coil Duncan quarter pounder and added a dummy coil next to it. So at first glance it appears to have the stock humbucker but at closer examination you can see that the coil near the bridge looks normal but the one next to it has alnico pole piece magnets like traditional single coils instead of the adjustable pole pieces. Since the dummy coil has no magnet under it at all it remains silent it does not pickup any of the string vibration. But it does pickup the stray radiation that causes hum in the single coils. By wiring it out of phase with the three single coils it acts as a dummy coil canceling the hum but not changing the sound. So far it seems to be working fine. There are some trade offs as the single coils all have to be oriented the same way for the dummy coil to work. But so far so good. While I was at it I did a complete rewire to PTP and replaced the jack with one mounted to a plate as they are nearly fool proof and breeze to change if ever needed.

Alex

« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 04:14:36 PM by 908ssp »
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Reworked my New Old S2

Offline Lwinn171

Reworked my New Old S2
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 04:22:09 PM »
Very cool. Alex, you are the man. I'm not a single coil guy, usually. I really did like that S3 we played at the factory, though. I love the dummy coil idea for getting single coil sound, quiet like a humbucker.

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic,1998 Classic
various amps, various toys

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Reworked my New Old S2

Offline 908ssp

Reworked my New Old S2
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 04:38:13 PM »
Yes Lawrence the hum is the one thing that drives me nuts. I always thought I was humbucker guy but I have really come to appreciate the more focused tone, slightly cleaner, more bell like, pure is a way of describing it.
[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Reworked my New Old S2

Offline daynwarren

Reworked my New Old S2
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 04:45:57 PM »
Very impressive! Would love to know how you mounted the 1/4 lb. and Dummy coil.

Reworked my New Old S2

Offline mountaindewaddict

Reworked my New Old S2
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 04:51:45 PM »
Okay, everyone, say it with me, "Alex is the man!  Alex is the man!" [:0]  Awesome, dude!  Post a sound clip if you get inspired, I think everyone would love to hear it... partly because we never got to hear you play at the hotel! [:)]

Casey

Gear:
Parker P-44, Digitech GNX4, other stuff...
"Remember, if at first you don't succeed, you're doing it wrong."
God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Reworked my New Old S2

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Reworked my New Old S2
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 08:52:04 PM »
Alex is fearless. [8D]

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup

Reworked my New Old S2

Offline jamrcat

Reworked my New Old S2
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 10:58:40 PM »
Super Fly! I love the finish and look, including the knobs. I'd love to hear what it sounds like! Congrats Alex! [:D]

"A Fly for each hand!"
"A Fly for each hand!"

Reworked my New Old S2

Offline BrainWorm

Reworked my New Old S2
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 03:30:20 AM »
The more I think about it the more I like the idea of the jack mounted to the plate.

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."
"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."