Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Open back cab mod  (Read 1250 times)

Offline AXEL

Open back cab mod
« on: August 20, 2008, 12:13:27 PM »
I've been using an closed back Avatar Vintage Bluesbreaker over sized 2 x 12 cab loaded with Vintage 30's with my Marshall 50 watt DSL. The amp and cab sound good and for the most part I am very happy with them. I do find that the closed back cab is extremely focused. If I move a couple of feet either way on stage it sounds completely different. Also the drummer complains he can't hear me. This cab can be purchased either as a closed back or open back with movable slots. So I bought a piece of quality plywood and made 3 slots. Two which are approx 8 inches and one 6 inch. I now have the option to play completely closed or mid, top, or bottom open. I can tell you there is a very noticeable difference in tone.

According to the Avatar website, leaving the middle open will yield more mids & highs, the top open will give more bottom, and the bottom open will give even more bottom reflecting off the floor.

So far I like it with the 6" slot open at the bottom. I get plenty of highs out of the DSL. The amp sounds much more "open" (no pun) and the cleans are far less compressed. Interesting the effect of the movable open back cab. If you own a closed back cab and have the option to do this mod I highly recommend it.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 12:28:46 PM by AXEL »

Open back cab mod

Offline 908ssp

Open back cab mod
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 01:55:28 PM »
It is still focused out front. What you need is beam blockers. I make my own for $2 each. I use them on all my cabs.
Start with this. .o50 thick not .50 thick that's a mistake in the picture. Then glue on a 4 inch speaker dust cap from Partsexpress.com.

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Open back cab mod

Offline AXEL

Open back cab mod
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 02:22:38 PM »
I've heard of beam blockers but I thought they were used for amps with the so call "ice pick" effect. My amp sounds smooth,warm, no ice pick. However it is the nature of closed back cabinets to be very front focused which in certain applications is good. I play a lot of small to medium clubs and usually do not mic my amp (although I'm starting to do it more often). I haven't tried the open back live yet but from what I can tell at home so far I like th results. In either case, as long as I have all the slots with me and a screw driver I can tune the cab on the job to fit the room. I'll think about the beam blockers though, thanks!