Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I really hate that!  (Read 2754 times)

Offline corksailor

• http://fwperry.net
I really hate that!
« on: August 15, 2005, 06:26:45 AM »
[xx(]  A picture in Saturday's paper shows some of 100 people celebrating the opening of a Hard Rock Cafe in Times Square by breaking guitars over cement blocks, led by Steven van Zandt, apparent "rock guitarist and actor" (Sopranos).  It's billed as the world's largest guitar smash, and these are Gibson guitars!  

Now while Parker owners might get an initial chuckle out of smashing Gibsons, it wouldn't be hard in New York to find 100 kids who would love to have those guitars.  Might be the start of a career; at leasts give them some pleasure.  The promoters are attempting to satisfy critics by donating a guitar for each one smashed (Epiphones?).

I used to hate seeing Garth Brooks smashing a Takamine as part of his act a few years ago... (can I have the pieces?)...

Irresponsible.  Wasteful.  Certainly each guitar represents a piece of workmanship by skilled craftsmen.  I could go on.... [V]  PO'd.

Corksailor
P-38
Fender Ultimate Chorus
Little Peavey
Seagull Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string
Corksailor
P-38 /Roland Acoustic
Fender Ultimate Chorus
Peavey Audition practice
Seagull/Alvarez/Yamaha12
Acoustics
Yamaha Magicstomp

I really hate that!

Offline NathanO

I really hate that!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 05:47:11 PM »
I feel the same way as you about this matter.

BlackRoseUK.com - My bands website. Please register at the forum, it is lonely!

Regards,

Nathan

I really hate that!

Offline loumt123

I really hate that!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 06:23:06 PM »
I agree. What a waste to smash a perfetly good guitar. I have sentimentle value towards every guitar i own lol.

I really hate that!

Offline Bigbore

I really hate that!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 09:36:21 AM »
Somebody told me that you can get a Jimmy Hendrix commemorative Fender Strat and it comes with a can of lighter fluid and a box of matches. No really, I agree, the guitars would be better played than destroyed.

I really hate that!

Offline loumt123

I really hate that!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 11:16:15 AM »
Jimi* and yes but i think its more for nostalgic value then to actually set it on fire. That guitar is alot of money by the way...I don't think many people would want to light it up

I really hate that!

Offline Ocker

• http://www.shesayselectric.com
I really hate that!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 02:58:37 PM »
This makes me absolutly furiuos[:(!]
 What kind of inconsiderate moron came up with the idea of smashing dozens of valuble guitars? and to add insult to injury to try to cover up this atrocity by giving away replacement "crapiphones".
 As a  major leader of pop culture and icon of the influence of rock and roll on modern society, HRC should be appaled at this not the culpret of such irresponsable behaviour. The egsample of wastefull extravigance this sets impessionable youth is sickening![xx(]
   I don't know about any one else but I am going to make a bit of a fuss about this and do my part to raise some social awareness and conciousness around this issue. As artist we have an amazing influence on the people who enjoy our music and as such have the ability to if even in a small way shape the moral fiber of future society. With this ability there is a certain amount of responsability to use it in an appropreate mannor. There are some major recording artists in my area that are doing incredible work to help underprivleged youth in the arts and I am going to try to get them on board with this as well.
 Even if it encourages HRC to think twice before they do something like this again, they may in the future decide to use thier money and power for good instead of evil.

Only through death may one truly live!
(soon to have 2005 Mojo Flame)
2003 MWC handcrafted Dragonfly W GK internal
1988 Vantage Vp850 W GK2
A myriad of accoustics
VG*8ex
GR*30
Rawda industries custom pedal board
A plethora of effects
1974 VT Twin 60
1972 VT Phasor Twin
2006 P8En
2005 Mojo Flame BCH
2000 Fly Classic *hardtail*
1988 Vantage Vp850 W GK2
A myriad of accoustics
VG*8ex
GR*30
A plethora of effects
1974 VT Twin 60
1972 VT Phasor Twin

I really hate that!

Offline loumt123

I really hate that!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 04:25:35 PM »
email gibson or something..maybe theyll do a benefit to make up for it.

I really hate that!

Offline Ocker

• http://www.shesayselectric.com
I really hate that!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 06:28:27 PM »
That is probably where HRC got the guitars from.

(soon to have 2005 Mojo Flame)
1988 Vantage Vp850 W GK2
A myriad of accoustics
VG*8ex
GR*30
A plethora of effects
1974 VT Twin 60
1972 VT Phasor Twin
2006 P8En
2005 Mojo Flame BCH
2000 Fly Classic *hardtail*
1988 Vantage Vp850 W GK2
A myriad of accoustics
VG*8ex
GR*30
A plethora of effects
1974 VT Twin 60
1972 VT Phasor Twin

I really hate that!

Offline loumt123

I really hate that!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 06:48:50 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised gibson is more concerned with sponsoring events then they are with the quality of their instruments

I really hate that!

Offline corksailor

I really hate that!
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 08:05:41 PM »
The link (at the moment at least) for the opening celebrations and giant guitar smash is here:
http://www.hardrock.com/corporate/press/content.aspx?id=129

Interesting to note that the guitar smash is a "benefit"..."The grand opening celebration will benefit Peace Games, a non-profit organization dedicated to ending the trend of violence in the U.S. by teaching children to become peacemakers in their schools and communities."

I have a little news for them... "ending the trend of violence" and "teaching children to become peacemakers" is not something you assist by smashing 100 guitars over cement blocks.... but I'm only a school counsellor, what would I know?

Corksailor
P-38
Fender Ultimate Chorus
Little Peavey
Seagull Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string
Corksailor
P-38 /Roland Acoustic
Fender Ultimate Chorus
Peavey Audition practice
Seagull/Alvarez/Yamaha12
Acoustics
Yamaha Magicstomp

I really hate that!

Offline loumt123

I really hate that!
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 09:19:19 PM »
lol reminds me of the guy who was trying to stop substance abuse with the moscow music fest, but it was actually to clear his community service for substance abuse

I really hate that!

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
I really hate that!
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 03:12:15 AM »
surely Gibson and HRC would have got more publicity (and better vibes) by simply playing the guitars?............
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

I really hate that!

Offline corksailor

I really hate that!
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 08:52:00 AM »
There is no indication what kind of guitars they are giving away... to be fair to them, they could be 100 new gold LP's for all I know (somehow I suspect NOT).  However, there are choices to be made, and as David suggested, playing the guitars might be a step up from smashing them, both in the use of them, and the message it sends to kids.  So, you PLAY the guitars (maybe featuring some kids with up & coming abilities playing) then you give away 200 guitars, the original 100 that would be smashed, and 100 more for a grand gesture... isn't that better?

Corksailor
P-38
Fender Ultimate Chorus
Little Peavey
Seagull Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string
Corksailor
P-38 /Roland Acoustic
Fender Ultimate Chorus
Peavey Audition practice
Seagull/Alvarez/Yamaha12
Acoustics
Yamaha Magicstomp

I really hate that!

Offline loumt123

I really hate that!
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2005, 09:39:37 AM »
then that leaves 100 kids who may not have ever been able to get a guitar or whatnot without one. not fair in my opinion. if someone had 200 guitars and gave 100 away and decided to smash the others....i'd be prettyyyyy mad.