Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What Finish Option Should Parker Offer?  (Read 18488 times)

Offline Lwinn171

What Finish Option Should Parker Offer?
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2006, 10:42:31 AM »
rt0412,
  I wouldn't worry too much about your Nitefly's finish. Anything that was a production finish (satin/oil-based or otherwise) is probably fairly tough. Parker certainly would rather not deal with the waranty issues that a soft finish would create. So I feel sure they'd have used something fairly tough [:D]
  What I said about scratches and dings was in reference to Waterlox only. Waterlox isn't pure tung oil, but a blend of things (tung oil, mineral spirits, chemical driers, and who knows what else). It does build a finish, unlike pure tung oil. It also penetrates the wood nicely, especially in you thin out the first coat or two (50/50, 70/30, 100/0 for instance). But I think the better idea is to have someone spray the body and neck with lacquer, leaving the back of the neck bare (using waterlox for the neck only). Better still, follow Kurt's advice and laquer everywhere. Then rub out the back of the neck (or the whole guitar, if satin is the goal) using 0000 steel wool, loaded with paste wax, LIGHTLY! Don't ever spray lacquer yourself unless you are set up with a sray booth. The fumes are deadly (coating the inside of your lungs with fresh laquer can drop you dead [xx(]). Full respirator is required. Paper masks are useless. A fan (or ANY) motor can ignite the fumes and blow your garage and you to bits. This applies to sray cans, too.
  It's worth it to pay a pro for lacquer. The set up costs to do it properly and safely isn't worth it unless you want to go into business doing it. I'm guessing that a finish would cost around 350.00?
  I'm not well versed in urethane options, or water-based either. Could be some options to consider there... any ideas, guys [?]

Lawrence Winn
"42.7 percent of all statistics are made-up on the spot."
2001 Fly Classic, Green
Larivee Parlour Guitar
Several inferior others
Mesa Boogie MK IV
Marshall 2-12 cab
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 12:03:27 PM by Lwinn171 »

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Offline Musicman1

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2006, 11:02:12 AM »
How about Vintage white, yellowish or off white?? I think it would look nice on Nitefly's especially with the black bolt on neck.

Musicman1

2005 Parker P44
2002 EB MM Axis Sport
1984 Custom made boutique Strat
1977 Guild D40 NT
1976 Gibson 335 Custom
Wide variety of amps and effects

Musicman1's current arsenal includes:
2007 EB MM JP6, Mystic Dream, piezo, matching headstock, dot inlays
2005 Parker P44, trans red
2002 EB MM Axis Sport  trans gold, rosewood fingerboard, hum/hum, vintage trem, matching headstock
1977 Guild D40 NT
1976 Gibson 335 Custom in sunburst
A variety of "tube free", absolutely non-boutique and completely replaceable amps and effects

Offline Lwinn171

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2006, 11:08:04 AM »
BTW, nice work Kurt! Beautiful stuff on your site [^]

Lawrence Winn
2001 Fly Classic, Green
Larivee Parlour Guitar
Several inferior others
Mesa Boogie MK IV
Marshall 2-12 cab
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 11:13:53 AM by Lwinn171 »

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe

Offline jamrcat

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2006, 01:02:04 PM »
quote:
How about Vintage white, yellowish or off white??

Joe, I agree. I think an antique white, maybe with a Classic configuration would be awesome. Something really retro like using soap bars for pickups and gold hardware! I can dig it![8D]

Bellingham, WA
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 01:02:49 PM by jamrcat »
"A Fly for each hand!"

Offline kwcabs

• http://www.kwcabs.com
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2006, 01:06:27 PM »
Hello again guys, I have to agree with Lwinn I doubt the finish on your nitefly should need any maintenence.  As for the laquer he's also right it's not very healty to spray it in anything less than a well ventilated area.  You could go the spray can route as long as it is ventilated and you wear a respirator.  However, it's not the easiest thing to do if it is your first time, and a full guitar would require several cans to do the job.  There is a website out there called reranch (i think) that has a pretty in depth section on refinishing your own guitar.  Painting the guitar is a whole other ball of wax, you have to prep the body, prime the body, then paint with sealer coats then do the whole finish thing too.  If you're in a shop set up for it, it's not particularly difficult, but if you're not it can be very aggravating.  Personally my opinion is this, there is nothing wrong with wanting to make a custom finished guitar and doing it yourself, it not only allows you to get exactly what you want, but you get to have the satisfaction of doing it yourself at the end.  However, you have to be realistic and ask yourself the question can I live with it if it is less than perfect, because odds are even if you take your time and are careful you're going to make a mistake or two.  They might result in being something tiny or not visible to the audience, but you'll know they are and depending on the type of person you are you might not care or you might think about it all the time.  If the later is the case, it might pay to simply let a professional handle the job, that way you'll still get what you want, and if there is a problem you can go back to them and have it resolved.  If Warmoth finishes thing it might be worth while to let them, Carvin offers a lot of custom finishes as well, might be worth looking into.  I'm not sure what current pricing for guitar refinishing is, I'm sure it's not cheap, someone mentioned numbers like $350 above, but when you put the parts together and add that finish cost if you can still get a fully custom guitar for under $1000 it still seems like a real bargin.  In other words keep your options open and consider the costs against the pros and cons of your finishing choice.  Believe it or not most finishes are not that tough so it really comes down to what you like.  Laquer is particularlly fragile, it cracks, chips, scratches, and flakes very easily, but it's a great looking finish and is the standard for the industry.  Many higher end companies have switched to Urethane (including Parker I believe) because it is tougher yet more flexible so it is not prone to as much stress related damage.  There are a huge amount of urethane companies out there, and none of them make a product that is tremendously different than the other, but to get the best results they do need to be sprayed with professional spray equipment.  The water based finsihes are far less toxic than their solvent counterparts but still are not great for you and proper safety precautions should always be observed.  Thanks to Lwinn also for the cabinet compliment.  If you ever want to change from that Boogie cab you know where to call, and just a note, I've been offering some nice little discounts to the Parker Forum users.  Thanks again, best of luck.

Owner of KWCABS guitar speaker cabinets.  We specialize in making simply the best speaker cabinets out there, constructed out of top-quality hardwoods, standard lines as well as custom work.  WWW.KWCABS.COM

Check out my Parker Supreme here www.kwcabs.com/parker%20page.htm

Kurt Wyberanec
Owner of KWCABS guitar speaker cabinets.  We specialize in making simply the best speaker cabinets out there, constructed out of top-quality hardwoods, standard lines as well as custom work.  WWW.KWCABS.COM

Offline Lwinn171

« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2006, 02:15:26 PM »
Thanks, Kurt... I'll keep that in mind, though I'm a furniture designer/builder with a full woodshop, so I'm likely to make my own eventually (if I can ever get through this huge pile of comissioned work, LOL, I should be in the shop right now...) Your cabs have given me some great ideas, though. I'm just glad to know someone out there is making them out of real hardwoods, and using such nice joinery, great finishes etc...
BTW, isn't purple-heart fun to work? That's some thorny, hard-as-hell wood. I've used it in several pieces, and tough as it is, it's beautiful. It's a real blade-burner, though...

Lawrence Winn
2001 Fly Classic, Green
Larivee Parlour Guitar
Several inferior others
Mesa Boogie MK IV
Marshall 2-12 cab

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe

Offline Musicman1

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2006, 03:36:49 PM »
HMMM...soapbars w/the piezo...I like it Jamrcat!!

Musicman1

2005 Parker P44
2002 EB MM Axis Sport
1977 Guild D40 NT
1976 Gibson 335 Custom
Wide variety of amps and effects

Musicman1's current arsenal includes:
2007 EB MM JP6, Mystic Dream, piezo, matching headstock, dot inlays
2005 Parker P44, trans red
2002 EB MM Axis Sport  trans gold, rosewood fingerboard, hum/hum, vintage trem, matching headstock
1977 Guild D40 NT
1976 Gibson 335 Custom in sunburst
A variety of "tube free", absolutely non-boutique and completely replaceable amps and effects

Offline kwcabs

• http://www.kwcabs.com
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2006, 03:34:24 PM »
Most certainly is, very hard, and the natural gum in the wood loves to make it burn up.  It's also tought to use small pieces cause it loves to splinter.  A lot of people are allegeric to it to, personally it hasn't bothered me but I've heard stories.  What I find most amussing though is when someone comes along and sees it and says ooo that's cool you've stained it purple and I have to explain to them that it's the natural color.  And the biggest thing I hate is when you cut it you have have to leave it sitting around for a week or so to change color back to purple before you can finish it.  Best of luck.

Kurt Wyberanec

Offline Lwinn171

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2006, 04:26:05 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by kwcabs

Most certainly is, very hard, and the natural gum in the wood loves to make it burn up.  It's also tought to use small pieces cause it loves to splinter.  A lot of people are allegeric to it to, personally it hasn't bothered me but I've heard stories.  What I find most amussing though is when someone comes along and sees it and says ooo that's cool you've stained it purple and I have to explain to them that it's the natural color.  And the biggest thing I hate is when you cut it you have have to leave it sitting around for a week or so to change color back to purple before you can finish it.  Best of luck.

All true, Kurt. No one believes it can be so very purple with no stain! Those purpleheart splinters are the most painful I ever got. Edge routing can be tricky because the grain splinters so easily. Sure is pretty though.[:D]

Lawrence Winn
2001 Fly Classic, Green
Larivee Parlour Guitar
Several inferior others
Mesa Boogie MK IV
Marshall 2-12 cab

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe