Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Parker Stinger HB observations  (Read 948 times)

Offline burchtone

Parker Stinger HB observations
« on: September 29, 2008, 10:07:44 AM »
I swapped out the pups in my PM-20 looking for a lower output sound.  They sounded great, but I wanted something a little less hot sounding, like a DiMarzio 36th PAF.  Zebra bobbins look nice against the sunburst, too.

I measured the resistance of the stock coils just for the record.  Here's what I found:

Stinger Bridge-
Total resistance 15.9kOhm, 7.95kOhm each coil.  Wide spaced pole pieces, equal to DiMarzio's "F Spaced" size.

This pickup looks kind of like a JB to me.

Stinger Neck-
Total resistance 8.4kOhm, screw coil 4.4kOhm / slug coil 4kOhm.  Normal pole spacing.

The neck pickup appears to be a variant of asymmetrically wound PAF.  Makes sense, there wasn't a glaring difference between it and the DiMarzio that replaced it.

If you are thinking about pickup swapping, there is a reference point to help you choose based on the stock sounds.  I hope this helps.  Sorry if this is old news, I couldn't find it anywwhere.

BTW, I highly recommend the 36th Anniversary PAFs if you are looking for a PAF type sound.  They are fat and full but still clear.  Split sounds are good, too.

1996 Fly Deluxe Italian Plum #060046BP
2004 PM-20 Sunburst #04100600
Fly Deluxe Italian Plum #060046BP
PM-20 Sunburst #04100600
NFV-SA Trans Blue #500099