Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RUSTY COOLEY  (Read 2990 times)

Offline ADV

RUSTY COOLEY
« on: August 17, 2005, 10:36:29 PM »
This dude leaves Petrucci et al in the dirt.
I like more diverse guitarists but I also love the occasional shredder who blows me away.
Cooley is one of those guys who came on the scene a little late for the guitar god era of the 80's, but his playing is insane.

The guy plays 6, 7, and 8 string guitars.

See some of his video clips on his website. you jaw will drop.

www.rustycooley.com/video.html

RUSTY COOLEY

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
RUSTY COOLEY
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 03:57:29 AM »
my jaw did drop, but only for 3 minutes.  yeah i respect his unique and devastating ability but all the tunes and videos that i have seen on his site seem to show what is, in my humble opinion, muscle-memory widdling.  i am a shred fan but i just don't hear anything that makes me want to listen to it again and again.  and those jemfest videos just demonstrate what i am talking about.  impellitteri, anyone?
when i have heard him write and play something like petrucci's "the spirit carries on", "under a glass moon" or "goodnight kiss" i will change my opinion of him.
(don't get mad - remember we all have a right to our opinions!)
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

RUSTY COOLEY

Offline loumt123

RUSTY COOLEY
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 09:38:15 AM »
is he playing a conklin with fanned frets?[:0]. His style of picking is odd. When he plays fast it doesnt look like he alternate picks...more like alternative...like rather then..say you next stroke is an upstroke on the next string while your picking down you pull it to the next string. It's fun knowing both ways [:D]

RUSTY COOLEY

Offline loumt123

RUSTY COOLEY
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 09:42:27 AM »
Oh and my opinion on him..he has chops...but when he plays it just sounds like one giant flurry of notes to me. They don't really sound terribly organized to me. maybe its because he's not playing over other instruments? but to me players like vai and petrucci...you can hear the song in their solos. Vai especially. Listen to freak show excess....its an intricate solo but really fits the mood of the song.

RUSTY COOLEY

Offline ADV

RUSTY COOLEY
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 10:55:54 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by cmpkllyrslf96

His style of picking is odd. When he plays fast it doesnt look like he alternate picks...more like alternative...like rather then..say you next stroke is an upstroke on the next string while your picking down you pull it to the next string. It's fun knowing both ways [:D]

That's called "sweep picking" and it is a technique used by may shredders to play super fast arpeggios.

I agree that his videos show pure athleticism on the guitar and not much finesse. Nevertheless he is one fast MoFo. And when your technique is this good, and you maintain an open mind, opportunities become endless.

I also agree that Vai is more versatile and writes more melodic phrasing. Freakshow Excess is on of his most innovative pieces to date and i love it.

I have mixed feelings about Petrucci. He puts alot more feel into his solo record, at G3 performances, or even Liquid Tension Experiment than when he plays with Dream Theater. Maybe I'm just annoyed by LaBrie's singing so much that I stop hearing hte guitar but I think John's playing really shines when he's outside the band.

RUSTY COOLEY

Offline loumt123

RUSTY COOLEY
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 11:27:03 AM »
no not the sweeps. I'm talking about the variation on the alternate picking my example is say your playing a phrase on one string and you move up to the next, and the next motion of ur pick is supposed to be an upstroke, because u just previously hit a downstroke, u can pull that stroke to the next string. I don't really know how to explain it..it's supposedly called alternative picking. A while ago When I slowed down to actually examine my technique i realized I alternative picked on occasion..Now I have total control over both so I use the style best suited for the lick or song. Michael Angelo Batio has a video in which he explains it.

RUSTY COOLEY

Offline loumt123

RUSTY COOLEY
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 11:30:44 AM »
by the way i highly suggest seeing vai live. it was an amazing show.

RUSTY COOLEY

Offline Bigbore

RUSTY COOLEY
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 12:04:21 PM »
I remember Rusty saying, people have told him his playing lacks feeling, and he tells them, if you want to see the strings getting bent, go listen to someone playing blues, but don't dis my playing because I have chosen to play a different style.

I'll say, in my opinion, the stuff in those videos is more like guitar Olympics and non-sense I couldn't listen to.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 12:16:05 PM by Bigbore »

RUSTY COOLEY

Offline JSanta

RUSTY COOLEY
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 01:20:34 PM »
He is extremely talented, but I get very bored of him after a few minutes.  As mentioned before, I like the emotion that many shredders have in their music, songs like 'Rain' from Vinnie Mooore is a good example, or 'Always With Me, Always With You' from Satch.

-Jim

"Do not speak.  Unless it improves on silence."
           -Buddha

RUSTY COOLEY

Offline loumt123

RUSTY COOLEY
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005, 05:53:56 PM »
rusty seems to have an atitude with that quote haha.you dont have to do just bends to make an original sounding tone. lets be honest tho, its not hard to play your modes and scales and arpeggios up and down in the same pattern and in 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, etc. thats why shred players dont impress me like yngwie. alot of his riffs are the harmonic minor scale in different variations. it just gets plain to me. now jason becker, that was a guy who wrote some really intelligent, and awesome sounding stuff. The song altitudes is technically awesome and has alot of feeling. the perfect balance in my opinion.

RUSTY COOLEY

Offline ADV

RUSTY COOLEY
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 05:26:26 PM »
I love Jason Becker
I also think he is much more talented than Malmstein.
Jason released Perpetual Burn when he was still a teenager. His compositions were incredible and his playing blew me away. I definately recommend a listen to that CD, even though the recording and mixing are pretty raw and done on analog equipment.

RUSTY COOLEY

Offline loumt123

RUSTY COOLEY
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2005, 06:49:43 PM »
he was truly in my opinion on his way to being the best guitarist ever. He was basically a child prodigy. It's a shame he was plagued with disease [V]

RUSTY COOLEY

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
RUSTY COOLEY
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2005, 05:38:46 AM »
never heard any jason becker stuff, but you lot are getting me interested.  what album would be a good place to start?
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

RUSTY COOLEY

Offline loumt123

RUSTY COOLEY
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 09:51:56 AM »
Perpetual burn. www.jasonbecker.com has alot of information on him, as well as a video or two, and album clips under discography.

RUSTY COOLEY

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
RUSTY COOLEY
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 09:20:56 AM »
us folks in the uk have a magazine called Guitar Techniques.  it currently has a cool "shred workout from hell" by the rustmeister.  inane widdle but a great challenge.  britishers should check it out.