Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fly Problem  (Read 2020 times)

Offline alan clare

Fly Problem
« on: October 03, 2008, 08:37:16 PM »
I just bought a used Fly Classic. I assumed, being a class guitar, there was no chance of the usual problems you would find with regular guitars. However, this fly was previously strung with 010`s,I have strung it with 009`s. I find that the high E, and B strings are " singing" when played open (singing = buzzing) and I have had to raise the action to a height I wouldn`t have expected, on such a classy instrument.
Could the neck be a little straight - ie. needs a slight bow - -truss rod?
As for buzzing high strings, do I need to replace the nut?
Has anyone ever experienced thses problems? If so, have you got any advice for me?
Al.  (UK)

Fly Problem

Offline 908ssp

Fly Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 11:06:41 PM »
Read this and there are many other articles on the web guides to set up your guitar. They tell some easy checks that can determine whether you have a back bow or too much relief. Or take it to a guitar tech and have it set up. Everybody telling you to try this and try that will end up with your guitar all screwed up rather than right.

http://www.bryankimsey.com/setup/
http://www.bryankimsey.com/setup/neck_relief_1.htm

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Fly Problem

Offline Lwinn171

Fly Problem
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 11:52:22 PM »
I just went through this very thing. Bought a Fly that was set up with 10's. Put 9-42 on it... Buzzing horribly on the open strings. The nut had been filed for 10's. Maybe even larger. The solution? Get a new nut. The quick fix? Build up the slots with super-glue. A little at a time. You'll need to be able to recut the slots with a file set. I used a "feeler gauge" with some fine sandpaper (400 grit).

First be sure this is the issue. Buzzes on open, but not on fretted notes? Do the strings look like they are riding too low at the nut? Do they sink down further from the top of the nut than seems appropriate? Gotta pic? A close up of the nut would help us determine if this is the cause...

Ha... just read Alex's last line above... Well, he's right. I can't possibly know this is the issue. Just sounds similar to my recent issue in many ways. Don't do what I did unless you are sure that's the problem, and feel good about doing it. I've done this stuff before, cutting nuts and saddles, so bear that in mind as you proceed.

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic,1998 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 12:02:06 AM by Lwinn171 »

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Fly Problem

Offline BrainWorm

Fly Problem
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 02:55:51 AM »
Put your finger on the strings, behind the nut. If you feel them vibrate that would indicate the nut slots are cut too low. Push down on the strings behind the nut a little, if the buzz goes away that is more indication the nut slots are cut too deep.

It's very easy to cut the nut slots too deep. I just did it on a nut and got to throw it away. With graphite remember the immortal words of 908ssp, "You file and file and nothing happens, then you file and you have gone too far."

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."

Fly Problem

Offline alan clare

Fly Problem
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 06:01:45 AM »
Thanks for your advice - -all of you. I am quite experienced in setting up guitars, I`m new to Parkers. I borrowed a Classic, some weeks ago, the action was incredibly low, with now fret rattle, every note clear as a bell.
I presumed all Parkers would be the same - -mistake! Wooden neck.
I used to play Steinbergers - -those necks are all perfect - -100% Carbon/graphite.
The high 3 strings don`t actually buzz at the nut, they sound dampened, there isn`t a bright clear ring that should be there on open played strings. I am more concerned about the action. The one I borrowed was perfect, I don`t have any feelers to measure at the 12 (will ge some), but the gap between string and f/board is 2mm at the 12th. I have other guitars like this, on which I consider this acceptable. I don`t expect it on a Parker. I suspect there is not enough neck relief/bow. As I don`t have a Torq wrench yet (no tool kit with this 2nd hand Fly) I can`t move the truss rod, but thats the next move. again thanks for your help - -all

Fly Problem

Offline BrainWorm

Fly Problem
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 02:10:20 AM »
I was quite experienced at setting up a guitar also, until I understood the Bryan Kimsey link.

Re: Fly Problem

Offline alan clare

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 05:59:55 PM »
Thanks..

Offline Noodler

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 11:23:32 PM »
Alan - did you really say thanks 8 years later? :)

If so, that has to be some kind of record...  ;)