Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Chérie, j'ai rétrécie ma Fly Deluxe!"  (Read 8389 times)

Offline bno

"Chérie, j'ai rétrécie ma Fly Deluxe!"
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 08:00:47 AM »
Interesting.  I can see how playing this while seated would be very comfortable.  I've always hated the horn and often thought about doing something like this.  For me the Fly is horribly uncomfortable - almost unplayable - when I'm sitting in anything other than a classical position.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Offline cgarlie

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2008, 10:41:37 AM »

Hakim --

I think Ken may have heard some similar comments when he first introduced the Fly. I'm not wild about everything you did, but it does have a nice economy and functionality to the design. What is that orange and black thing sticking out of the bridge cavity (on the controls side).

BTW -- maybe that horn is there to remind you to sit up so your back will thank you in the years to come:-)

Charlie

Parker Deluxe w/ RMC
Gibson '83 Lucille
Gibson Digital Les Paul (HD-6X)
SRV Custom Strat
"Claptonized" 60th Anniversary Strat
PRS SAS
(Original) Dan Armstrong "See-through"
Burns Shadows Custom
PRS SC245 Twentieth Anniversary 
Gibson '83 Lucille
Gibson Digital Les Paul (HD-6X)
SRV Custom Strat
"Claptonized" 60th Anniversary Strat
PRS SAS
(Original) Dan Armstrong "See-through"
Variax II

Offline mojotron

• http://www.mojotronics.com
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2008, 10:50:55 AM »
As a Steinberger and a Fly fan I find this very interesting, pretty cool.

I love the horns on Flys, and I would not change anything permanent on my fly - but I would love to do something like that on an old strat copy I have. My Steinberger really needs an upper-rare wing to be comfortable.

Offline Geisterfahrer

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2008, 04:07:59 PM »
Does it almost look like the 'Preacher' shape?..... It's kinda sad looking, its making me sad... Really, Really Sad!
That said, i can totally appreciate the thinking behind the motivation to do this.
I have looked at ergonomic guitar design a lot, and really this is a step in the direction of what Klein was trying to or did achieve, but without the bolt on neck.
Now that i've seen this I think what i'm hung up on is the fact that Hakim had to butcher a perfectly good Fly to achieve this (Prototype) and given that he already was locked into a small number of options to alter the shape, he's editing an existing shape, there isn't really much room for aesthetic shape exploration. ( I wish that i'd have picked up at least one of those boxes of busted Flys that were being sold on ebay a while back!) Maybe Parker should sit up and take note of this... with the correct attention to shape design both aesthetic and ergonomic, perhaps a new fly can be born. Think on that!
Thanks Hakim, sometimes you really do have to bust some eggs to make an omlette!

ATB

'Slap it on the Bing-Bong!'
'zERo sTONEs, zERo cRATEs!'
THD Univalve for the SOUL
Fly Trans Red Classic,
Fly Deelooksenstein,
Fly Heather Grey Single2
Fly Pearl White Deluxe
Ibanez JEM GMC777, Ibanez PGM, Charvel/Jackson Fusion Pro.
Ovation CSE44
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 07:56:13 PM by Geisterfahrer »
Fly Trans Red Classic
Fly Deluxe Top Secret
Fly Heather Grey S2
Fly Pearl White Deluxe
Fly Dusty Black Deluxe
Ibanez JEM GMC777, Ibanez PGM
Charvel Fusion Pro, Ovation CSE44
THD Univalve, VOX AD50VT

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 10:39:07 PM »
Looks like the idea was to try and get a sort of Klein shape out of a Parker.

Bob

1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  -  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod - 2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline sfw

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2008, 10:45:02 AM »
So I'm another one of the weird one's out, but I like it! I'm a tinker and love playing around with the guitars. I've never really had enough nerve to tinker like that with the Fly, but to me, if you wanted a different look than a Fly, why wouldn't you still want the playability. I wish I could make all my guitars play like my Fly's have played. C'est bonne! Sorry, my french is terrible, but I think guitars are feminine? Anyway, Enjoy and have fun!

- Scott

PM10; Franken-Fenders
Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric, Pink Hello Kitty, Saving for Hanna Montana NiteFly
- Scott

PM10; Few Nitefly's; Franken-Fenders
Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric, Pink Hello Kitty

Offline rld25

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2008, 10:35:04 PM »
I wish I had one!

I travel a lot and it just keeps getting harder to do so. The airlines will no longer let me gate check my guitar and it now costs $50 for additional checked bags. [:0]

I would love a Parker travel guitar.

My last trip I unbolted the neck of my Fernandes and stuffed it into my suitcase. Not fun. [V]

KEEP INVENTING!
Lane

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2008, 11:26:50 PM »

$600 and no Flys were killed in the making.

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2008, 12:08:02 AM »
To paraphrase a great man, "I don't agree with what you did, but I'll die for your right to do it."  Okay, not really, but what a man does with his own things is his buisness... except when he puts pictures of it on the internet! [;)] [:D]

Man, as long as you're happy with it, good on ya!

And I will be so bold as to say this: There don't seem to be too many ways to "trim" a Fly and have it look intentional.  In this case, even though I like a Fly better "unaltered," the lines that you chose to cut on are artfully done.  The new-cut curves, for the most part, seem to have been carefully through through and executed.

Casey

Gear:
Parker P-44, Digitech GNX4, other stuff...
"Remember, if at first you don't succeed, you're doing it wrong."
God Bless!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 12:12:32 AM by mountaindewaddict »
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline tildeslash

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2008, 08:48:08 AM »
Thanks for the minor heart attack - you suck.

Offline Geisterfahrer

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2008, 05:20:15 PM »
Maan! I'm Still Sad.... [:(]
I thinking 'Venus d'milo' you know, still beautiful without the arms.... but i'm going 'Train-Wreck' can't look! MUST look! but i keep telling myself, its a prototype! an experiment! then i'm grabbing a pitchfork and a torch along with all the other townsfolk and we're chasing 'Frankentars Monster'!! [}:)] Then the alarm goes off and the 'Dead' are singing 'You will get by....' and its a brand new day....
I can't go thru that for another night!! so t'night it'll be Tylenol PM and a shot of Grey Goose! [^]

ATB

'Slap it on the Bing-Bong!'
'zERo sTONEs, zERo cRATEs!'
THD Univalve for the SOUL
Fly Trans Red Classic,
Fly Deelooksenstein,
Fly Heather Grey Single2
Fly Pearl White Deluxe
Ibanez JEM GMC777, Ibanez PGM, Charvel/Jackson Fusion Pro.
Ovation CSE44
Fly Trans Red Classic
Fly Deluxe Top Secret
Fly Heather Grey S2
Fly Pearl White Deluxe
Fly Dusty Black Deluxe
Ibanez JEM GMC777, Ibanez PGM
Charvel Fusion Pro, Ovation CSE44
THD Univalve, VOX AD50VT

Offline Hakim

• http://www.jamendo.com/fr/artist/hakim/
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2008, 03:45:24 AM »
I had in the past a Steinberger Transcale Synapse and the neck, comparing to Parker's guitar, were really worthless. Idem for my Gisbson SG and my Variax 700.
So, 908ssp, I will never give $600 for a piece of bolagna like a Hohner guitar!
Tu peux te la carrer dans le fion mec!

"La musique c'est du bruit qui pense." (VH)

Offline Hakim

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2008, 04:03:26 AM »
So OK everybody. There a lot of people in the world who said the Parker's body shapes are ugly. I'm thinking like them. Without the horns it's better.
Go on to play your uncomfortable guitar, and be sure I play better on my Parker than before. It's the most important thing for me.
Why buy a new guitar if you're not playing better on it?
Certainly not for the sound, I hope. It's stupid! Electric guitars sound depends primarily on the amp. and FX…

Offline Hakim

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2008, 04:19:58 AM »
I've seen so many Parker guitars on this forum with atrocious colors!
Like gold, yellow, red… an everybody likes it !!!
I will never climb on stage with this.
Already, everybody laughs with the strange shape of Parker guitars, with these colors, you're just a clown. It's only good for Michael Jackson, Prince or Homer Simpson.

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2008, 07:23:39 AM »
Hakim, I am glad you have a guitar you enjoy.

You have some real luthier skills and a ton of guts.

I really appreciate your sharing the photos and would love to hear more on how you did it. There are many here that like to think outside the box. There are many Stienberger fans here too.

Please realize people here hang out here because they are huge fans of this guitar. Most know its different and really not worried about fitting in to what MTV teeney boppers might think is the "right look" to be considered cool. Most fans of this guitar passed that stage decades ago.

You took a lot of heat for your post. Unfortounate. I too was taken a little aback by the photos of your first post. Then I started thinking, wow, I would have loved to have been a Fly on the wall while you were doing that. I would also like to play that FrankinFly just to see what it feels like.

I remember years ago thinking a headless Fly with a completely different body shape would be cool. Especially with a zero fret and swichable "plug in" pups.

I dont blame you for fireing back. We left you little choice.

But I hope everyone can move on.

I would love to hear more about the challenges you faced in getting this done. And , How does it play? Was there any effect on the tone?
Any photo's of the head?

No, I wont be rushing out to do the same. But I am curious.

I commend you for having a vision and following through on it. Something I could never do. And you had nothing to gain by posting those pics. You did it just to share your journey with us.

You were very kind to share them with us. We are better off for that.

THANKS ! [:)] [8D] Peace.

A few Flys in my soup
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 07:40:50 AM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup