Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DoubleNecks &/or 12 Strings  (Read 2518 times)

Offline Guitarman1117

DoubleNecks &/or 12 Strings
« on: October 15, 2008, 09:20:32 AM »
Out of all the guitar making companies, only a few make 12-string guitars and even fewer make double necks. The prime issue with a double-neck seems to be the weight. Point is, with Parker's focus on both acoustic sounds & lite-weight, you'd think that they would have made some attempt (by now) to put at least one or two models of a 12 &/or a double-neck on the market.

Even though there are a good handful of companies making 12 strings, for too long has Rickenbacker been synonymous with the Electric 12 in that they alone get that special 'jangle' from their reverse strung system and their double-way tuners on a regular sized, slot-routed headstock. Do they have exclusive rights to stringing reverse and using slots to double-up on tuner-spacing, in that no other guitar maker can do this too?

> Any comment is certainly welcome, but I hope an 'official' response is also posted.
Thank you, GM1117
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 09:23:52 AM by Guitarman1117 »
Donald K. Andrews

Offline captain_rusty

• http://www.s3cretcode.com
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 09:52:58 AM »
I wrote to Parker about 10 years ago asking for a doubleneck [:D]. I wanted (and still want) a 6+6, one with trem for normal playing and one hardtail for slide.

They did get back to me, but of course the answer was no way...

David

2001 Fly Classic -> Ibanez WD7 wah -> Digidelay -> Trainwreck clone -> 1x12 Fane cabinets
Fly clip: http://rustyzone.free.fr/rusty_meltdown_44.mp3
David

2001 Fly Classic -> Digitech GSP1101 -> PA.
Band web page: www.s3cretcode.com

Offline Guitarman1117

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 10:43:04 AM »
I guess if you studied the style of Duane Allman you could do it all on one axe. Apparently you need to either have higher action, open tuning or both to play slide, eh?

No matter what combination of double-neck is a personal preference, the most popular is a 6-12. I'd "bet the farm" that a Fly double-neck of any combination would weigh less than a standard LP and many other brands of common single neck guitars as well.

At this point in time the only way to get such a double-neck (as your 6+6) would be to purchase 2 Flys of the type you want, both the same finish and find an expert luthier who had the nerve to chop them down and fuse them together..... definitely an expensive undertaking even with a pair of Parker's least costly models. If it were me and I had plenty of money to work with, I'm sure I'd still be biting my nails during the process down to a point where they'd be too sore to play the axe when it was finished..... and I'm NOT a nail-biter! LOL

I remember seeing the lead guitarist of Alabama using a custom-built Tele double-neck that sported one (lower) left-hand Tele neck opposite the upper right-hand neck. It was hard to tell if there were 2 Tele bodies fused or a single body custom-made for his axe. Either way, it looked bigger and heavier than the Gibson double-neck.

BTW: Does Parker even make Lefties?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 10:51:54 AM by Guitarman1117 »
Donald K. Andrews

Offline justwatching

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 12:07:10 PM »
import lefties....
carpe vola
And remember, if you are ever lost, you are always directly above the center of the earth.

Offline bno

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 02:36:01 PM »
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Offline Strandwolf

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577969013
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 05:29:34 PM »
FAKE!