Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Painted nuts look bad.  (Read 2171 times)

Offline 908ssp

Painted nuts look bad.
« on: October 20, 2008, 08:59:49 PM »
Nuff said.

Great looking guitar spoiled in a small spot by painting the nut.

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Painted nuts look bad.

Offline laughinglarry

• http://www.myspace.com/larrysmithmusic
Painted nuts look bad.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »
I disagree - particularly on this one, with the "ghosted" outline of yellow overlapping even the headstock.  I think it looks quite cool. [8D] However, functionally it's ludicrous.  There is no good reason for painting the nut (cosmetics aside, and you'll notice I said good reason).  

So, what if Marco decides to be a jazzer, and open up the slots to accomodate the 12-52 set of flatwounds - THEN decides that it's really not his thing, I'll just go back to 9's?  (The nut on my S2 needs to be replaced for this very reason - except that it was a previous owner that wanted barbed-wire size strings.)  And yes, you can always fill with superglue, but then you're not getting the benefits of the Graphtec nut, are you?

So Alex, I understand why you loathe the practice, and I'm with you on that.  Just not for the reason you state in the title of the thread... [:0][:p][;)]

Larry

2000 Fly Deluxe Single 2, 2000 Fly Stealth, '98 Fly Classic, '97 Fly Deluxe (with GK-2A), '07 Steinberger GM-7TA, '89 Strat Plus, '92 Les Paul Custom, Ibanez Silver Series (Strat), Epiphone Dot, '65 Mustang, Yamaha BB3000AF, Peavey Foundation, Hamer Cruisebass
http://www.myspace.com/larrysmithmusic
www.myspace.com/karmagenerator

Painted nuts look bad.

Offline tildeslash

Painted nuts look bad.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 08:03:30 AM »
Painting nuts is lame.  When it's time for a replacement nut - if the lutheir doesn't cut that paint outline right - you could get flaking over time.  That's not something I look forward too.  Seriously lame practice for them to paint the nut.

Painted nuts look bad.

Offline strumminsix

Painted nuts look bad.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 08:13:19 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp
Painted nuts look bad.

That's what she said [:D]

Painted nuts look bad.

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Painted nuts look bad.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 08:43:43 AM »
I think it looks pretty cool myself. At least in this case. [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
http://improvisingguitarists.ning.com/profile/PaulMarossy

Painted nuts look bad.

Offline bno

Painted nuts look bad.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 09:15:06 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by strumminsix

quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp
Painted nuts look bad.

That's what she said [:D]

Nonsense.  Properly coiffed and trimmed, some find it downright sexy.  And if feels great.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Painted nuts look bad.

Offline mojotron

• http://www.mojotronics.com
Painted nuts look bad.
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 09:57:14 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by tildeslash

Painting nuts is lame.  When it's time for a replacement nut - if the lutheir doesn't cut that paint outline right - you could get flaking over time.  That's not something I look forward too.  Seriously lame practice for them to paint the nut.

It looks good before it cracks. But, when the pain cracks, which it does, then it looks real bad.

Painted nuts look bad.

Offline Paul Marossy

Painted nuts look bad.
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 10:10:09 AM »
I would think that cracking isn't real likely since the neck is wrapped in composite and the nut is glued to the fretboard. I don't see anything really moving at all - it should be pretty stable. I suppose some very small cracking is posible.

OTOH, as laughinglarry pointed out, in the scenario where the nut would need to be replaced, the outcome is questionable. That would take some skill and patience to pull that off well. It could be done, though.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Painted nuts look bad.

Offline sfw

Painted nuts look bad.
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 12:11:24 PM »
Very similar issue to a lot of other necks I've seen where the clearcoat neck finish is done after the nut is put on. You can get cracking or usually some chipping in the clearcoat if not careful replacing the nut, ie get out the razor blade/exacto knife first. Not really a new issue to most people doing a lot of nut replacements. You'll also find this kind of tip in just about any repair manual you look at. Obviously for most manufacturers, Parker and otherwise, it improves the production flow with minimal long-term impact.

- Scott

PM10; Franken-Fenders
Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric, Pink Hello Kitty, Saving for Hanna Montana NiteFly
- Scott

PM10; Few Nitefly's; Franken-Fenders
Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric, Pink Hello Kitty

Painted nuts look bad.

Offline Paul Marossy

Painted nuts look bad.
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 12:27:57 PM »
quote:
Very similar issue to a lot of other necks I've seen where the clearcoat neck finish is done after the nut is put on. You can get cracking or usually some chipping in the clearcoat if not careful replacing the nut, ie get out the razor blade/exacto knife first. Not really a new issue to most people doing a lot of nut replacements.

Exactly.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Painted nuts look bad.

Offline tildeslash

Painted nuts look bad.
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 02:43:41 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by sfw
Obviously for most manufacturers, Parker and otherwise, it improves the production flow with minimal long-term impact.

Long term it impacts the consumer who ends up having a possibility of paint cracked.  Short term it shows a lack of attention to details on the manufacturer's part.

Just my 2 cents.

Painted nuts look bad.

Offline stevie axeman

• http://www.myspace.com/stevieaxeman
Painted nuts look bad.
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 05:45:54 PM »
Apparently the only cure for certain STDs is to paint the nuts with some kind of medicinal ungent - so apart from that mandatory usage ( I'm not speaking from personal experience here)...I'm with Alex on this one.
By comparison - as Bob says - the paint overlapping on the headstock looks way cool

Fly Mojo, Brian Moore i9.13 ,Godin ACS-SA
Fender Blues DeVille, Fishman Performer amps
Roland GR33/Digitech GNX/Fishman Aura Blender
Majik Blue 02 Fly Deluxe, Blue/green-burst 09 Fly Deluxe , Natural Mahogany 05 Fly Mojo, Vigier Shawn Lane, Caparison Horus,  Schecter C7 Hellraiser ,   Brian Moore i9.13 ,Godin ACS-SA
Bogner XTC Classic ,Fishman Performer amps
,Fishman Aura Blender,

Painted nuts look bad.

Offline Marco76

Painted nuts look bad.
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 12:28:31 PM »
If I had my druthers, I'd prefer to not have the ends of nut painted. I not not think it is a particularly great look, but mostly because of the functional issues mentioned. On the other hand, I don't think it was a matter of lack of attention to detail in the case of this guitar, because there has been extraordinary attention in other respects (such as the wrap-around on the peg head). Nothing earth-shattering like that Private Reserve, but not your average off-the-rack either. Maybe it was a slip-up, but I have seen this treatment of the nut on other Flys. Maybe they have some good reason. Seems like there is a "fly in the ointment" pun in here somewhere.
Marco

Painted nuts look bad.

Offline 908ssp

Painted nuts look bad.
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 11:04:29 PM »
They do it on all the guitars it simply doesn't show on the ones with black back which is a great many of them.

They do because it is easier and therefore cheaper. The original nut was hand carved to follow the contours of the neck. Now they leave some extra length and just file and polish them in place and since this is done before paint they just cover any scratches with primer and paint. I argued on the tour it was wrong. But they are trying to eliminate quality issues and speed up production. I just think this one was a mistake.[:(]

Your guitar is really beautiful in spite of that tiny issue. I love the yellow. It just happens to show up more with the yellow. [:D]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG