Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Parker plexy  (Read 11011 times)

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
My Parker plexy
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2011, 04:06:04 AM »
that is a beautiful guitar!!  i'd love one like that!
how is it made?  is it machined out of a block of acrylic or is it hand carfted?  the polishing must have taken weeks!!
truly amazing the way the light catches the curves
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

My Parker plexy

Offline billy

My Parker plexy
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2011, 02:25:37 PM »
great work, esp the inlay.

I'm guessing its transfer molded using silicone rubber resin to create a mold and then you just clean up the edges and polish.  (I'm not impling that's easy to do though!)  

I would have loved to see the neck done in a similar way..!

Billy

[Always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

My Parker plexy

Offline ParkerP

My Parker plexy
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2011, 12:01:54 PM »
Hi!

A really nice work, high quality craftmanship no doubt, and just because of this, it's a huge waste of talent at the same time...
Plexy is widely reknown for being a "dead" material in sonic terms, this is why it's so much used on hi-end record turntables.

Cheers, JPB

My Parker plexy

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
My Parker plexy
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2011, 10:46:43 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by ParkerP

A really nice work, high quality craftmanship no doubt, and just because of this, it's a huge waste of talent at the same time...
Plexy is widely reknown for being a "dead" material in sonic terms, this is why it's so much used on hi-end record turntables.

On turntables, huh? Weird fact.

Some people would probably argue that plexiglass sounds great because of its mass (like people think about Les Pauls). I think just about any material could potentially sound good if it were made so that it conserved energy instead of absorbing it. I just don't see a big chunk of plexiglass being something in that category, though.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
http://www.DIYguitarist.com
http://www.myspace.com/j201jams

My Parker plexy

Offline ParkerP

My Parker plexy
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2011, 06:53:24 AM »
Hi Paul!

Not weird at all, the aim when using plexy on turntable platters and plynths is just absorbing the energy (as MDF also does), so it's really "dead" acoustically.

Mass may only matter a little when considering acoustics behaviour if the material does have a rather "stiff" structure. Those little tubular aluminium chimes sound good, now imagine if they were made out of lead... [;)]

Wood is so good because it combines hard fibres with a micro-chambered pattern, and this only gets better with ageing.

Cheers, JPB
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 06:54:56 AM by ParkerP »

My Parker plexy

Offline Paul Marossy

My Parker plexy
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2011, 09:54:18 AM »
quote:

Not weird at all, the aim when using plexy on turntable platters and plynths is just absorbing the energy (as MDF also does), so it's really "dead" acoustically.

I guess that would be so that it doesn't pickup noise from outside the turntable?

quote:
Mass may only matter a little when considering acoustics behaviour if the material does have a rather "stiff" structure. Those little tubular aluminium chimes sound good, now imagine if they were made out of lead... [;)]

Yeah, lead chimes... well, they wouldn't chime! [:D]

quote:
Wood is so good because it combines hard fibres with a micro-chambered pattern, and this only gets better with ageing.

You can for sure tell that on an acoustic guitar.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 09:54:39 AM by Paul Marossy »

My Parker plexy

Offline ParkerP

My Parker plexy
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2011, 01:29:14 PM »
Hi Paul!

Please note that, as I wrote above, I'm telling about plexy (acrylic resin) used on turntable plinths and platters only, in order to help absorb/dissipate the unwanted energy coming from several sources.
I was not meaning the turntable lids of course, as those act as ressonant shells and are really known for picking environment noise/feedback, so it's widely usual to remove them while playing the records.

The structure-related advantages of the woods used in musical instruments (stiffness, sustain and ressonance) are certainly much relevant for those acoustic, but also for the electric as we all know, not only while favouring the attack/decay on the played then amplified sounds, but also because pickups do capture a lot of signal parameters, some of these are acoustically related.
So the positive way that ageing affects tonewoods, both reflects on acoustic instruments and on electric instruments too, although to a lesser extent in the last case.

Cheers, JPB
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 01:31:05 PM by ParkerP »

My Parker plexy

Offline Paul Marossy

My Parker plexy
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2011, 07:46:57 PM »
I see. I haven't seen a turntable since the 80s, so I don't know how they make them now. I never had "audiophile" stuff.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__

My Parker plexy

Offline Epidrake1

My Parker plexy
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2011, 08:12:29 PM »
Glad this was bumped.  What a beautiful guitar.  It's amazing to see what creative people can think of.

My Parker plexy

Offline redcloud

My Parker plexy
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2011, 09:10:53 PM »
Wow, that's a killer guitar.

Alembic "Studio Further"
Alembic "Lil' Darling"
Gibson LP "Traditional"
Collings "City Limits Jazz"
Parker Fly Supreme LTD Koa #17/25
Parker Fly Bronze
Fender Custom Shop Road
Show '10 LTD
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Taylor Solid Body Builder's
Reserve #4

Peavey "Delta Blues"
Fender "Acoustasonic SFXII"
Schertler "Unico"

Many Acoustic Guitars

My Parker plexy

Offline engage757

My Parker plexy
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2011, 09:50:03 AM »
wow!  That is amazing!
I really, really, REALLY love Caparison guitars.

My Parker plexy

Offline Highlander

My Parker plexy
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2012, 01:01:32 PM »
I have a cheap Acrylic Strat copy, and it actually sounds pretty cool!!!