Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: old fly vs. refined fly  (Read 10432 times)

Offline pjatpeace

old fly vs. refined fly
« on: November 08, 2008, 03:49:43 PM »
Those of you who have been playing the fly for years or have multiples.  What is your opinion as to the original fly vs. the refined fly with different preamp and controls and pups? I am considering whether to purchase the original or go with the refined.
Thanks

old fly vs. refined fly

Offline Ocker

• http://www.shesayselectric.com
old fly vs. refined fly
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 07:07:12 PM »
I have one of each, I like the master volume ( although it could be a better quality pot like my mojo) and stereo mono switch and the stacked volume/tone pot for the piezo on the older ones is great, however I think I definatly like the tone of the new refined preamp for sure. the refined over all is definatly superior quality in my opinion and it is well worth it to buy new over an older one used.
If your preamp gives up the ghost in the older models, you are pretty much out of luck for replacement parts and there is nothing like playing a guitar that is yours and yours alone.

Only through death may one truly live!
2006 P8En
2005 Mojo Flame BCH
2003 MWC handcrafted Dragonfly W GK internal
1988 Vantage Vp850 W GK2
A myriad of accoustics
VG*8ex
GR*30
Rawda industries custom pedal board
A plethora of effects
1974 VT Twin 60
1972 VT Phasor Twin
Only through death may one truly live!
2006 P8En
2005 Mojo Flame BCH
2000 Fly Classic *hardtail*
2003 MWC handcrafted Dragonfly W GK internal
1988 Vantage Vp850 W GK2
A myriad of accoustics
VG*8ex
GR*30
Rawda industries custom pedal board
A plethora of effects
1974 VT Twin 60
1972 VT Phasor Twin

old fly vs. refined fly

Offline danjazzny

old fly vs. refined fly
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 06:50:44 AM »
It's a personal thing so the only way to know for sure is to try them both out. If that's not possible you might want to go with an original Deluxe or Classic. You should be able to find one in great shape for $1,000-$1,200. The original and refined Flys are wonderful guitars and you can't go wrong either way. [;)][8D]

'97 Alex Artist ; '99 Simonized Artist; '97 Custom Red Artist; '98 Custom Tobacco Artist (Hardtail); '96 Dayn Deluxe (Hardtail); Line6 Flextone 3 Amp++SpiderValve 212 Amp++Fishman Loudbox Pro 100 Acoustic Amp
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

old fly vs. refined fly

Offline pjatpeace

old fly vs. refined fly
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 06:30:02 PM »
Thanks for the input and insight. I am getting an 08 classic on ebay for 1800 minus 200 with microsofts cashback program.  For 1600 I feel pretty good.  I owned a 97 classic for about 10 years and like a fool got rid of it and tried the taylor t5.  After about a year, I want my fly back.  Thanks again,

old fly vs. refined fly

Offline colinmacinnes

old fly vs. refined fly
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 02:58:58 AM »
I am curious about the functionality of the changes made to the fly. I have only demoed a fly with the fourth - volume - switch. Prior to getting a fly I am wondering if I should go used for the pre-refined model or if there is a good work around for the missing volume.

For those who have played both, how have you worked around the volume knob? Have you added a volume pedal in your line? Run through a preamp/amp with volume pre-board or twiddled with the pic-ups individually? Or does it really matter? Thanks for any insights.

old fly vs. refined fly

Offline Sandy

old fly vs. refined fly
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 11:29:34 AM »
Hi Colin, I'm fairly new to the Fly World but I have both old and new models. When I play the pre-refined, I really appreciate the master volume as well as piezo tone controls. When I play my refined models, I think the three knob controls are perfect. I guess I'm saying you'll adapt just fine to either one.

I do have a volume pedal in my chain but have always run one (even pre-Fly). I may add another for the piezo line.

I'm thinking that deciding one way or another won't be that much of an issue for you because somehow you WILL end up justifying buying more Fly models. Just a word of warning there.  ;-)

old fly vs. refined fly

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
old fly vs. refined fly
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 06:14:51 PM »
I agree with most comments above. The differences are not deal breakers. I have had 2 of each. Minor pluses and minuses either way.

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup

old fly vs. refined fly

Offline colinmacinnes

old fly vs. refined fly
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 11:27:17 PM »
Sandy, Bill

I noticed the addiction ;) Thanks for the quick response.

old fly vs. refined fly

Offline Johnnyo21

• http://frankenpony.com
old fly vs. refined fly
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 08:39:17 AM »
I too have a refined Mojo and a 2000 Classic.  I use them for two completely different sounds. The Mojo is an awesome guitar, great rock tones. My Classic is a more original sounding guitar. What I mean is the Mojo sounds a bit like other guitars, the classic sounds very different. I play them both a lot and that's my two cents. In the higher registers they both have that "violiny" kind of vibe, which is totally Parker. That!!!! is what I love.
John C. Griffin

old fly vs. refined fly

Offline FastAssTT

old fly vs. refined fly
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 08:21:13 PM »
Old fly all the way

old fly vs. refined fly

Offline Twanking45

old fly vs. refined fly
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 07:10:40 PM »
are the refined fly guitars heavier than the earlier ones?

Twank

-SA Nitefly SSS (1995?)
-Parker Deluxe, (1996)
-Les Paul Classic, customized (1992/93)
-Customized Fender Strat (1990)
>>---> TWANK <---<<

-Nitefly V3 (1997)
-Parker Deluxe (1996)

old fly vs. refined fly

Offline mountaindewaddict

old fly vs. refined fly
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 08:27:21 PM »
Twanking, a great deal of anecdotal evidence (and even some fairly scientific measurements) would suggest that the old ones are lighter. Those knurled metal control knobs look great, but are nearly 10 times heavier (if memory serves) than the plastic/rubber knobs on the pre-refined.

Bear in mind, we're talking a matter of ounces here, not pounds.

Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe (in Ruby Red), Digitech GNX4, other stuff...
God Bless!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 08:29:19 PM by mountaindewaddict »
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

old fly vs. refined fly

Offline Twanking45

old fly vs. refined fly
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 12:15:37 AM »
thanks for the info Mountain.

I am in a bit of a predicament here. I have a '96 Deluxe, a beautiful dusty-black beast. But when I switch to the piezo the 2nd string tone will not come though. By that I mean that when I strum the instrument, all the other strings resound but NOT that 2nd string. I've been reading some posts and it seems that the new deluxe models use a different piezo setup and that i may need to overhaul the entire piezo preamp if I send it back to Parker fo service. Is this true?
   I've had this problem since the  9-gauge spring broke and one of the metal shards snapped a wire, if I remember correctly. Licensed fly dealers have told me I'd have to return it but I thought I confer with others on this forum first as I'd like to know about how much this fix will cost me. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Twank

-SA Nitefly SSS (1995?)
-Parker Deluxe, (1996)
-Les Paul Classic, customized (1992/93)
-Customized Fender Strat (1990)
>>---> TWANK <---<<

-Nitefly V3 (1997)
-Parker Deluxe (1996)

old fly vs. refined fly

Offline onemoreguitar

old fly vs. refined fly
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 01:13:12 AM »
The piezo tone of the refined fly is much nicer.  You actually don't need the tone controls IMO. The volume and tone pots and switches are completely rubbish.  My '96 Deluxe has worked flawlessly since I bought it new.  My Spring needs new pots and switches already.  I think that has more to do with USMC.  The more important question, IMO, is Ken Parker or post Ken Parker.  Quality ain't what it used to be.  With USMC it's purely business.  With Ken Parker it was a passion.  That being said, I really like the tone of my Spring and playability is pretty darn good, it's just that my '96, which has been my go to since I got it, is a far better quality instrument in every way.

old fly vs. refined fly

Offline joedreamliner787

old fly vs. refined fly
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 05:08:11 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by onemoreguitar

The piezo tone of the refined fly is much nicer.  You actually don't need the tone controls IMO. The volume and tone pots and switches are completely rubbish.  My '96 Deluxe has worked flawlessly since I bought it new.  My Spring needs new pots and switches already.  I think that has more to do with USMC.  The more important question, IMO, is Ken Parker or post Ken Parker.  Quality ain't what it used to be.  With USMC it's purely business.  With Ken Parker it was a passion.  That being said, I really like the tone of my Spring and playability is pretty darn good, it's just that my '96, which has been my go to since I got it, is a far better quality instrument in every way.

Agreed 100%. I have a 98 fly that was professionally repainted Kandy Tangerine, I installed a GK3A and replaced the circuit boards with point to point wiring as well as going with the powerchip for the piezo and the new smart jack in which allowed me to get rid of the on/off red switch. My old fly plays and feels better than the USMC (2010 galaxy gray) You can feel the passion and quality that went into the older guitars. Anything under 2003 and you'll be good. I will be selling my Galaxy gray (installed a gk3a as well) to purchase an older fly and have it repainted.