Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An opinion on missing posts . . .  (Read 1991 times)

Offline corksailor

• http://fwperry.net
An opinion on missing posts . . .
« on: August 22, 2005, 01:57:47 PM »
I made a fairly long comment in another thread, quoting JohnP's description of the making of a Fly in the process, in response to someone who was complaining about Parker guitars and the fret problem some people have experienced.  They weren't too complimentary, but that post has disappeared, so my comments seem not to fit where they are at: http://www.parkerguitars.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=750

I'm not a fan of posts disappearing, other than spam, and I hope this comment doesn't spell the end of this one.  That might be a problem area with a forum sponsored directly by the company.  I think there are enough Parker devotees on this forum to handle any ill-founded compaints by new members who are sounding off.   Whatever mods are deleting these posts would be better served, IMHO, in leaving them up for others to handle with some common sense and reason.  I think it would look better for people to see complaints and see them responded to than to have them disappear.  Anyone with some sense can see that these people are ranting and have little foundation to their complaints... let those on the forum who have the experience with Parkers and other guitars handle them!

What do the rest of you think?  I hope this thread can remain and we can have a little dialogue on this issue.  I'd like to hear from JohnP and some of the moderators on their rationale on this issue.

As I mentioned, we can easily recognize the poorly founded ranting of some who appear out of nowhere on the forum and sound off, and I think that anyone new to the forum who reads their rants and sees them responded to sensibly will feel more favorable toward Parkers and the organization than they will if they get any inkling that unfavorable posts might be being deleted.

I have some experience with guitars... 40 years of it, in fact, and don't mind sharing my opinions in a logical way.  I think I can also be helpful at times to others having difficulties with guitars, wiring, sound, etc.  I'm quite impressed with my P-38, and would only consider a "better" Parker as my next electric. (I'm suggesting here that I can be a valuable member of this forum! [;)])

However, I'm afraid that if this post doesn't stick around for some comments from others, and I see we are talking into space because an unfavorable post we felt we were responding to has disappeared into the ether, then I'll be dropping out of the Parker forum.

Your comments???  [:)]

Corksailor
P-38
Fender Ultimate Chorus
Little Peavey
Seagull Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string
Corksailor
P-38 /Roland Acoustic
Fender Ultimate Chorus
Peavey Audition practice
Seagull/Alvarez/Yamaha12
Acoustics
Yamaha Magicstomp

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 02:20:18 PM »
Well I would miss you corksailor. [;)]

I guess it boils down to a judgment call. There are posts I would delete in a heart beat that are still up and there are posts I might have left. It's a dirty job but someone has to do it. We might not always agree but we should all be used to that because all of life is like that. It really isn't our call one way or another. We haven't been asked how we want this forum to be run we have been invited by a benevolent dictator to participate if we like at their discretion. This is not meant as a bad thing at all or as a challenge I don't see any other way of doing it. There are times when democracy and consensus is appropriate and there are times when someone just says what is. People often confuse the two. [^]

Alex
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
1999 Parker NiteFly S/S/H NFV7
2005 Emerald Acoustic X10
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline JPage

• http://www.parkerguitars.com
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 02:20:26 PM »
We very rarely delete posts - http://forums.parkerguitars.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=760

I believe that if you go to the Tech section, you'll find plenty of evidence of "complaints".

However, the Forum was being spammed the last several days and it is possible that the post you are referring to vanished when we blocked several IP addresses, deleted about a dozen User ID's, and removed quite a few posts.  If that is the case, ooops.  If not, it is also possible that the author of the post deleted it himself.  Regardless of the reason, we rarely delete negative posts.  Anyone who has been here for any length of time can you tell you that.  It's doubtful any of the Moderators deleted it as it is still too early for them to be awake - lol!

There is one post, actually 3, that are still up (in the Tech Section) that I seriously considered deleting.  In the end, though, I left them up.  In retrospect, I am glad I did as the complaint has been resolved and the Parker Owner was kind enough to return and post a positive message.  So, that is cool.

Chat away...

JP

Offline corksailor

• http://fwperry.net
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 10:21:14 AM »
I can accept many of your explanations here... thanks.  

I would have said that the member deleting his post himself was one possibility that I hadn't considered, but I see he is back this morning with another more arrogant post than before, if possible, and he refers to the injustice of deleting his original post, so he obviously didn't do it.

Since the original one was his First post (RalphE -- and he swears that todays is his last), the explanation that he was mistaken for the spam lately might well be the cause of his post disappearing.

Reading his post this morning, I have to admit that my original argument that these people could be left alone and some of us could talk a little sense into them has grown weaker...  

I'll avoid going into this any further, and bid Ralph adieu....

[:o)]

Corksailor
P-38
Fender Ultimate Chorus
Little Peavey
Seagull Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string
Corksailor
P-38 /Roland Acoustic
Fender Ultimate Chorus
Peavey Audition practice
Seagull/Alvarez/Yamaha12
Acoustics
Yamaha Magicstomp

Offline ADV

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 10:41:22 PM »
corksailor
Do not accept the above explanations.
only select criticism is allowed on this forum. The rest is deleted at the free will and discretion of hte moderators, who delete more tha they admit. The claim that they do not delete posts is bogus.
Language aside, I believe that parker should take constructive criticism from parker players and maybe learn how to improve theri instruments. At the same time parker purchasers should be able to hear the opinions of parker players so as to better make up their minds.
Negative feedback or even a litle bit of harsh language can have a positive impact regardless of the difference in opinion between those who post and those who moderate/censor.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 10:47:28 PM by ADV »