Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trem bearings.  (Read 4006 times)

Offline 908ssp

Trem bearings.
« on: November 27, 2008, 09:24:56 AM »
I have been meaning to write about this since all the stay in tune trem problem discussions. I recently was diagnosing some piezo problems when I noticed the bearings were shot on one of my Flys. They were sticking, notchy and moved easily in the bend down but much harder in the bend up direction. This guitar came to me a couple years ago with extensive damage from sweating. Rusty pickup screws, grungy trem, etc. So if you're having problems with the trem staying in tune and your guitar is older and has been at all exposed to moisture check the bearings. You can not do this with strings on the guitar you have to remove all 6 strings to get a feel for the bearing alone. You can not use a sealed bearing as they have too much drag and will influence the tune. The bearings linked below are the correct bearing shielded in stainless steel. These should last a good while. Sorry no pictures I forgot to take them.[:I]
Bearing on MSC page http://metalworking.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1868682
MSC industrial supply http://metalworking.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRHMW

How to remove the trem "You can remove the trem completely from the guitar with the strings on but it easier if you remove them. Loosen the strings take all the tension off the spring and remove it. Use the appropriate Allan wrench to screw the trem height adjusters counter clockwise going from one to the other till the trem comes out in your hand. If you want to completely remove it you have to disconnect the wire from the piezo board coming from the trem, if not just pull what slack there is in the wire gently out with the trem. The bearings and carriers can be slid off the trem make sure they are free and rotate easily. Look for anything out of place or a witness mark where the trem might be hitting. Maybe a sliver of wood or the ball from the end of a string." Quote from me different thread. [;)]
Alex

« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 10:33:17 PM by 908ssp »
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Trem bearings.

Offline bembamboo

Trem bearings.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 01:24:22 PM »
tks alex.  my deluxe rusted alot in hawaii, maybe thats why the spring broke.  long term fly ownership and problems will show the true value of this great guitar.

Trem bearings.

Offline Jim

Trem bearings.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 06:28:08 PM »
Thank's the info,
Are the bearings easy to replace?
Have you used these yourself?
Thank's,
Jim
97 Fly Classic 98 Fly Classic
78 Les Paul Standard 90 Jackson USA Soloist

Trem bearings.

Offline Darter

Trem bearings.
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 09:31:28 PM »
Alex will possibly have the best advice for pulling the bearings on these trems. I haven't pulled mine yet but will, eventually. I worked as a gyroscopic technician/manager for seven years so, I've pulled a few thousand and still own the tools.
Three things:
1) Even if you have to soak the bearings with Liquid Wrench, Mouse Milk or even WD40, spend the time to remove them carefully as you do not want to warp the housings. (A sonic cleaner and even a carb dip tank will work but stay clear of heating the housing if possible as the heat will warp it.)
2)Before replacing the new bearings, very carefully scrape the inside of the housing ---LIGHTLY--- and don't dig out metal, just clean out the housing with a small jeweler's screwdriver or x-acto blade. Sometimes a q-tip will suffice. Look for grit, dirt, loctight, rust and/or white corrosion. If you know what you're doing, a twisted piece of 1000 grit paper can be used, only if really necessary. Make a sandpaper tube to keep everything flush and straight.
3) When you put the new bearings in, do not, DO NOT push on the inner race! You will trash the bearings easily. Put the bearings in the housing and use two small jewelers screwdrivers pushing on the sides of the outer race, only. Go back and forth evenly until the bearing seats all the way in. Even if the bearing falls in it's a good idea to try with the screwdrivers just to be certain.
Please be careful. I've seen bearings blown out from being dropped 4 inches.
Electric--  94 Fly, PRS, 3 Ibanez - Thin, Iceman, EX, Schecter 7-String, Univox 12-String Archtop Hollow-Body, Brawley (Campfire Guitar), Kasuga Bass (57 Fender Copy)
Acoustic-- Ibanez 12-String, Harmony 12-String, Gretsch Synchromatic Archtop, Yamaha Classical, Giannini Classical, Washburn (Bird's Eye Maple), Martin Cutaway (Kit ...Unfinished) Mbox 2 Pro/Protools LE v8, Korg D32XD, 2 Adat/BRC, Mackie 1604, Tascam Portastudio 488, Roland (2) GR-09's,VG-8,VG-99, FC-300 (Controlled With 2 US-20's). 2 GK-2A, 2 GK-3. SR-16, 3 Digitech GSP-2101's. Buckets of pedals.  **Variety**

D.

Trem bearings.

Offline Jim

Trem bearings.
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 10:27:52 PM »
Thank you for the great info, I'll give it a try.
Jim
97 Fly Classic 98 Fly Classic
78 Les Paul Standard 90 Jackson USA Soloist

Trem bearings.

Offline 908ssp

Trem bearings.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 11:25:24 PM »
Yes I have used those or would not have recommended them.

The bearings were loose in the black aluminum supports but very tight on the pins of the trem. So put them on the pins first and press on the inner race not the outer. Don't lube them just use them the way the come. They have enough lube for the rocking motion more lube will only make them stiffer. And if they are as rusted as mine cleaning them won't do any good. Also because of the very limited rotation they don't wear evenly they get notches so your best bet is to replace them if they don't feel loose and smooth.

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Trem bearings.

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Trem bearings.
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 06:14:59 AM »
Great posts. I had no idea what you were talking about.[:I]

I could never get my Bearings Straight.[:o)]

You gave great info for guitar techs and for those more in the know.

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup