Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Joe Satriani is suing Coldplay for plagiarism  (Read 6417 times)

Offline simonlock

Joe Satriani is suing Coldplay for plagiarism
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 11:29:08 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill

I have not heard this particular sample.

I trust your opinion  its that obvious and then sure there should be compensation.

Bill click on the youtube link Kavan posted. They do an A-B of them and then superimpose them.

Simon
Vancouver,BC
A Whole Mess of Flys and I Love Them ALL!!!!!

Offline Ipp0n

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 12:33:44 PM »
i think the fact that cold play is more popular than satch (in america) is infinitely more of an atrocity than the alleged fact that they stole his tune--and i am not even an big js fan.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FLYCO...so easy to play, a caveman can do it.

'08 DELUXE

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 01:10:22 PM »
Wow, Yeah. That obvious.

ColdPlay may as well JoePay.

Actually really does sound great with Sats tract on top. As someone said they should have just hired him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ofFw9DKu_I&feature=related

A few Flys in my soup
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 01:11:04 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Offline kwcabs

• http://www.kwcabs.com
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 02:37:55 PM »
I hate to say, but I think there is a strong chance Joe might lose this one.  The melodies are virtually identical but they might have a tough time convincing a judge who is not a musician that they sound anything that could be percieved by a listener as similar simply because it is guitar vs vocals.  Had they played this on an instrument it would be a slam dunk, but the judge will most likely not be a musician and might have a hard time with it.  I can't recall what the time is but I think there is also a rule in place that says the music in question needs to be the same for a particular interval like 7 bars or something like that, could be wrong, so I'm also not sure if it's long enough????  Even though it is the same they used it very differently.  Most likely the case will be settled out of court and Joe will get a nice chunk of change (not that he needs it :P )  in exchange for a release form and a small acknowledgement.

Owner of KWCABS guitar speaker cabinets.  We specialize in making simply the best speaker cabinets out there, constructed out of top-quality hardwoods, standard lines as well as custom work.  WWW.KWCABS.COM

Check out my Parker Supreme here www.kwcabs.com/parker%20page.htm

Kurt Wyberanec
Owner of KWCABS guitar speaker cabinets.  We specialize in making simply the best speaker cabinets out there, constructed out of top-quality hardwoods, standard lines as well as custom work.  WWW.KWCABS.COM

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2008, 05:31:10 PM »
I think it is seven notes not seven bars. In the case of the Harrison song it was only three notes that repeat.

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2008, 07:02:39 PM »

Offline kwcabs

• http://www.kwcabs.com
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2008, 02:54:35 PM »
Could be right Alex, I can't remember but 7 sticks in my head, but if it is notes who hasn't played the same 7 notes of just about any song :P  It's probably more complicated but thinking about it, I'm sure Joe's lawyers would have already looked into it.

Kurt Wyberanec

Offline simonlock

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2008, 03:03:39 PM »
Not to mention Joe is an incredibly laid back guy and seems to me to be fairly at peace with his surroundings. If that's accurate then I can't see him taking this kind of action without feeling fairly certain that his work has been copped.

Simon
Vancouver,BC
A Whole Mess of Flys and I Love Them ALL!!!!!

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2008, 03:34:57 PM »
chris martin is actually an uber talented tech shred-head and has all joe's albums at home on repeat play.

They are almost identical but i can't imagine they heard it and ripped it off.  Surely a high-profile band like coldplay would know they'd be sued if they tried to nick something

2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Offline LooseChange

• http://www.fydamps.com
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2008, 04:14:05 PM »
I say it's a coincidence. If Coldplay were really trying to plagiarize, you think they would at least change the key??
1995 Emerald Green Fly Deluxe (Beaten and Modded but Loved)
1997 Sunburst Nitefly NFV/4
I like tubes... Check out all my DIY amps:
http://www.fydamps.com

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2008, 04:27:31 PM »
It doesn't matter if the whole thing is a coincidence or an accident. Intent is not part of the law if it is the same no matter how it got that way you're guilty.

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2008, 05:02:59 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by David Tomkins

chris martin is actually an uber talented tech shred-head and has all joe's albums at home on repeat play.

They are almost identical but i can't imagine they heard it and ripped it off.  Surely a high-profile band like coldplay would know they'd be sued if they tried to nick something

2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Ya know David, sometimes I hear something that catches me and forget about it and then find myself writing music around it not remembering until much later that I'd heard it before.

In fact I'm working on a tune right now that sounds so familiar I worry that I must have heard it before. Of course in my case it doesn't matter...but still I could see how it could unintentionally happen. And as Alex said, accidental killings are still manslaughter.[:I]

In court, intent usually only matters for punitive damages I guess. Real damages are independent of intent.

Now if I were playing it, I think there would also be a case for awarding for pain and suffering[:I]

A few Flys in my soup
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 05:06:23 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2008, 07:24:34 PM »
quote:
They are almost identical but i can't imagine they heard it and ripped it off.

It sounds a little too coincidental to me to not be intentional.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
http://improvisingguitarists.ning.com/profile/PaulMarossy

Offline Lwinn171

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2008, 07:39:11 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Marossy

quote:
They are almost identical but i can't imagine they heard it and ripped it off.

It sounds a little too coincidental to me to not be intentional.

I found myself wondering about whether Coldplay ever heard Joe's work. I mean, yeah, it's terribly similar, but seems such an obvious and simple melody. The only tricks in that melody seem to be the little nuances that separate them. Also, there is unconscious memory. It happens to me once in a while, something I've heard becomes a part of something (I claim to be) new. A melody gets caught, but you don't know where from... It'll be interesting to see how it's decided.

In a sense, though, all music is stolen. Only 12 tones, and only so many places to put them... Coincidences are bound to happen, right? It's so hard to draw the line on these cases. My bet: Joe wins the case. We'll see if I'm right.

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic,1998 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 07:40:27 PM by Lwinn171 »

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2008, 10:15:58 AM »
I agree, all music is inspired (or copied) by someone else's music to some degree or another. But in this case, way too similar to be an "accident".

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
http://improvisingguitarists.ning.com/profile/PaulMarossy