Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adrian Belew Signature Now ONLY AVAIL IN 1 COLOR!!  (Read 8059 times)

Offline Monsieur Obscure

• http://monsieurobscure.com
Adrian Belew Signature Now ONLY AVAIL IN 1 COLOR!!
« on: December 29, 2008, 10:58:39 PM »
Yes, believe it or not, the guitar that will set me back $7500 can only be had in Tangerine whether I like that color or not. That alone is bad enough, but add to it that I've already waited just over 3 months, having already placed my order and deposited my $800 down payment (having been O.K'd by Parker through the sales rep at Sweetwater for not only getting it in Dusty Black, but also getting at least 1 Sperzel 'D'-Thing locking tuner and jumbo frets [the latter two customizations I will largely leave out of the current discussion, although the essential principle at hand applies to them as well...]). Having been notified yesterday by my Sweetwater sales rep (a great guy to deal with, BTW) that it has been decided by Parker that no customizations whatsoever can be made to the guitar (after, as I stated above, I had been led to believe 100% to the contrary for over 3 months), I find out today after speaking with the rep personally that it is ONLY being offered in ONE COLOR... Wow... I guess I'm still slightly in shock trying to come to terms with the reality. What is more, if the sales rep has the facts straight and relayed them to me accurately, this decision has been made by Adrian - which I suppose would make sense, come to think of it.

Well, in my humble, albeit shell-shocked, opinion, this is a very poor decision on whomever's part it may be. You'd think that you'd have a little more options as far as color goes for the most expensive electric guitar you will probably ever buy in your lifetime (and perhaps anyone's...). In my mind that could serve to further limit an already intrinsically limited buyer's market. The 3 original colors offered were already marginally a stretch to begin with. But now one color is absurd. Sure, I guess I or anyone else can take the guitar after purchase and get a custom paint job done somewhere but how inane and ridiculous is that?!!... When it was already sitting there in the Custom Shop for untold weeks, what is so difficult or costly about offering several color options, especially when the customer is spending THAT kind of money on a guitar?

Now add to all this the ironic, comedic and perhaps borderline false advertiserial fact that both of the video promos thus far released featuring Adrian demonstrating and explaining the guitar are using the Lime Gold and Arctic Silver versions of the guitar respectively. Ouch... just pondering that reality pains me... Not to mention that the Demo featuring the Arctic Silver guitar is visually displayed at the top of the Sweetwater ad. To me, not being an advertising pro or anything, all of what I just mentioned is not very wise marketing. And even though I'm ranting and raving, being one personally affected by this situation, those in positions of influence and authority would do themselves some good to reflect on a few of these issues...

I guess I'll be content to get my hands on it, even if it's in Tangerine, as beautiful of a color as it is, God knows that not every guitarist is comfortable playing an orange guitar. And unfortunately, I'm one of the one's to whom orange just isn't natural or fitting. Oh, well...

Let me know what you think. My psychotherapy session with the members of the Parker Forums has concluded (for now...).   [;)]

And for anyone who might happen to be in half as much disbelief as I am, you can check the newly updated Sweetwater site http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FlyABvxOr for confirmation of the abovementioned facts.

Cheers.

~ Christopher

"...cultivate eloquent silence..."
- St Gregory of Sinai

« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 08:11:22 PM by Monsieur Obscure »
Cheers.

~ Christopher

- St Gregory of Sinai

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 11:13:31 PM »
Sorry but I can't agree with you. It is a signature guitar so if Adrian says his name only goes on tangerine guitars well that about settles it.

Now that doesn't mean that Parker can't and won't at some future date put all those same options in the Black Monsieur Obscure edition. You'll just have to wait.

And I think waiting is really the deal here. Sweetwater probably can get their hands on a tangerine guitar now and if you settle for that they are happy as clams. So if they are playing a little loose with the truth well that's sales for you. On the other hand Parker may be working as fast as possible to fill tangerine orders and yours would be a long way off. Honestly 3 months is nothing. We have had people wait a year for a color on a Deluxe so your complaints are falling on deaf ears.

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline Monsieur Obscure

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 11:38:15 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp

Sorry but I can't agree with you. It is a signature guitar so if Adrian says his name only goes on tangerine guitars well that about settles it.

Now that doesn't mean that Parker can't and won't at some future date put all those same options in the Black Monsieur Obscure edition. You'll just have to wait.

And I think waiting is really the deal here. Sweetwater probably can get their hands on a tangerine guitar now and if you settle for that they are happy as clams. So if they are playing a little loose with the truth well that's sales for you. On the other hand Parker may be working as fast as possible to fill tangerine orders and yours would be a long way off. Honestly 3 months is nothing. We have had people wait a year for a color on a Deluxe so your complaints are falling on deaf ears.

Alex

Alex, the wait and that it has been 3 months is not the issue - I have been prepared to wait for at least 4 months per Parker - the issue is that for those 3 months that I have already been waiting I was led to believe that the order I placed and that was approved was to be fulfilled as approved... And my $800 was my half of the agreement. Now whether this is actually Parker or Sweetwater's fault, or Adrian's for that matter (or any combination thereof), I shouldn't be made to feel that I am in any way responsible or that I should be faulted for respectfully voicing a reasonable complaint.

Cheers.

~ Christopher

- St Gregory of Sinai

« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 08:15:13 PM by Monsieur Obscure »
Cheers.

~ Christopher

- St Gregory of Sinai

Offline www_Ps_com

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 02:32:22 AM »
Does Parker employ psychologists in sales? Have a look at this and see what's been done to you:

"Lowballing
A SOCIAL INFLUENCE strategy by which COMPLIANCE to an initial request is followed by a more costly and less beneficial version of the same request (Cialdini, Cacioppo, Bassett, & Miller, 1978). Individuals tend to maintain their commitment and still comply with the request though it has become
more costly. It was originally thought that this technique worked because individuals were reluctant to change their commitment, despite the fact that the conditions had changed. However, Burger and Petty (1981) demonstrated that the underlying mechanism seems to be an unfulfilled obligation to the person requesting the behavior. Lowballing is different from the FOOT IN THE DOOR technique in which the initial behavior that is requested is related, but not identical to, the larger subsequently requested behavior. In lowballing, the initial behavior requested is the desired behavior, followed by a second request for that same behavior, the only change being that it is now costlier to engage in that behavior."

Offline simonlock

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 02:52:53 AM »
quote:
at least 4 months

Wait til reality gets ahold of that number! I waited almost a year for a Nitefly SA and over 6 months for a Classic.

Simon
Vancouver,BC
A Whole Mess of Flys and I Love Them ALL!!!!!
http://www.myspace.com/428626749
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 02:54:59 AM by simonlock »

Offline Monsieur Obscure

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 05:02:45 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by simonlock

quote:
at least 4 months

Wait til reality gets ahold of that number! I waited almost a year for a Nitefly SA and over 6 months for a Classic.

Simon, reality has gotten ahold of that number and evidently 4 months exactly is going to end up being the time period... This is because, as I perhaps should have included in my original post, the guitar will be ready to ship by the end of January. And not just potentially mine, but a few orders, of which there are currently 4 or 5. Parker has apparently been ramping-up production of the Tangerine Orange model and is getting ready to start getting several out the door.

Now this is in contrast to what I was just told about 2 weeks ago that an Estimated Time of Completion/Arrival for my order was mid February, so I was giving this a 1 month cushion in which to plan my time off in mid March. During this time I'm planning to travel to my friends studio in California to do some sessions with the newest member of the family (i.e. The AB Signature...). So I'm tempted to revert back to my original mid Feb. vacation time but will probably keep my new later arrangement just to be safe.

And in closing let me be clear and emphasize that as bewildered as I am by the sudden pronouncement that prompted this thread, I am still very excited and thankful that ANY version of this masterpiece is being made available and that after more than 2 years in the making and overcoming seemingly insurmountable odds and setbacks the Adrian Belew Signature Parker Fly Deluxe is soon to be a reality for the world at large (outside of those who have been to Adrian's concerts or have his live Side Four CD...).

Cheers.

~ Christopher

- St Gregory of Sinai

Cheers.

~ Christopher

- St Gregory of Sinai

Offline Monsieur Obscure

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 05:12:52 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by www_Ps_com

Does Parker employ psychologists in sales? Have a look at this and see what's been done to you:

"Lowballing
A SOCIAL INFLUENCE strategy by which COMPLIANCE to an initial request is followed by a more costly and less beneficial version of the same request (Cialdini, Cacioppo, Bassett, & Miller, 1978). Individuals tend to maintain their commitment and still comply with the request though it has become
more costly. It was originally thought that this technique worked because individuals were reluctant to change their commitment, despite the fact that the conditions had changed. However, Burger and Petty (1981) demonstrated that the underlying mechanism seems to be an unfulfilled obligation to the person requesting the behavior. Lowballing is different from the FOOT IN THE DOOR technique in which the initial behavior that is requested is related, but not identical to, the larger subsequently requested behavior. In lowballing, the initial behavior requested is the desired behavior, followed by a second request for that same behavior, the only change being that it is now costlier to engage in that behavior."

Well, this certainly seems to be the technique that Microsoft has traditionally used with hyping its someday to be operating system chalked full of features, only to finally (years behind schedule...) deliver a stripped-down product barely resembling what the consumer had been expecting for way too many years.

I would like to catch more of your personal take on this, www_Ps_com, unless of course your simply being entirely facetious, which is hard to make out at this point... [;)]

Cheers.

~ Christopher

- St Gregory of Sinai

Cheers.

~ Christopher

- St Gregory of Sinai

Offline www_Ps_com

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 08:19:02 AM »
Whatever Parkers' reasons behind this sudden move were, I think this kind of behaviour is unprofessional and detrimental to their reputation in the long run. Customers should not tolerate this. I'd say, if you have valid contract about the guitar's specification either sue them or insist on a discount. (The latter option might be the most beneficial for both sides.)

Offline kwcabs

• http://www.kwcabs.com
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 02:32:37 PM »
I would tend to agree with this last post.  I would seriously complain and insist on a discount or my money back.  The wait is not a problem, in the custom world 3-4 months is actually pretty fast, but the fact that they order was approved for the color is not right, you're not getting the instrument you purchased.  That said, if they want to offer it in only 1 color that's fine, but they should not be advertising any others and if the decision was made after your purchase it should only be applied to future orders.  Not fair, personally if I didn't like the color I'd demand my money back.

Owner of KWCABS guitar speaker cabinets.  We specialize in making simply the best speaker cabinets out there, constructed out of top-quality hardwoods, standard lines as well as custom work.  WWW.KWCABS.COM

Check out my Parker Supreme here www.kwcabs.com/parker%20page.htm

Kurt Wyberanec
Owner of KWCABS guitar speaker cabinets.  We specialize in making simply the best speaker cabinets out there, constructed out of top-quality hardwoods, standard lines as well as custom work.  WWW.KWCABS.COM

Check out my Parker Supreme here www.kwcabs.com/parker%20page.htm

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 03:55:09 PM »
I saw no implication that he had to accept any other color.

Look I guess to sum it up I take all promises with grain of salt. They aren't worth the breath needed to say them. If I had nickel for every broken promise I'd be rich man. I feel sorry for you and most of the others responding to this thread. Not for not getting what you want but because you it matters so much to you. You have $7500 to spend on a guitar and you're sad...some people don't have that much to live on for year.

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline Monsieur Obscure

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 04:48:08 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by kwcabs

...if they want to offer it in only 1 color that's fine, but they should not be advertising any others and if the decision was made after your purchase it should only be applied to future orders.  Not fair, personally if I didn't like the color I'd demand my money back.

Yes, in a perfect world (or even a half decent one, even) at the very least my original order would be honored, as well as any others that may have been placed before this draconian change of gears, leaving only all orders placed subsequent to the change being affected. And actually, per Sweetwater there are only 4 or 5 orders for the AB Signature at this time (whether or not mine is of the 4 or is the 5th, not sure...). So even if all 4 or 5 of them were placed prior to the change and all were for the other 2 originally offered colors, that's still only 5 guitars max - and it's not like we're talking about any major structural, design and/or electronic/technical changes, just simply paint jobs. And my Dusty Black is certainly much less complicated than the 12-stage custom automotive paint jobs that the Tangerine Orange and other 2 colors are.

So, yes, it would be nice and what you would expect from a company with the distinguished history and reputation that Parker has, for them to honor any previous orders made prior to this decision. And if it means hashing this out with Adrian (and even Sweetwater, for that matter), as I expect it would, hopefully they could all come to a sensible, reasonable agreement and treat their greatly valued fans/customers with the dignity and respect one would expect from classy professionals.

Well, there are my 3rd and 4th cents... Take them for what they are worth.

Cheers.

~ Christopher

- St Gregory of Sinai

« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 05:22:01 PM by Monsieur Obscure »
Cheers.

~ Christopher

- St Gregory of Sinai

Offline daynwarren

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 05:13:06 PM »
I would ask for a refund, unless you HAVE to have a Belew no matter what the color.

I am pessimistic on the delivery date...trust me, it will get delayed a week here, a week there for many reasons. I hope I am wrong for your sake.

Sorry you are experiencing so much drama over such an expensive instrument. E-mail me if you want to discuss it vfurther from a few different angles.

Offline Monsieur Obscure

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 05:16:51 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp

I saw no implication that he had to accept any other color.

Look I guess to sum it up I take all promises with grain of salt. They aren't worth the breath needed to say them. If I had nickel for every broken promise I'd be rich man. I feel sorry for you and most of the others responding to this thread. Not for not getting what you want but because you it matters so much to you. You have $7500 to spend on a guitar and you're sad...some people don't have that much to live on for year.

So, Alex, as with any custom order, one should place their order, pay their 10% down payment for agreed specifications, have 3+ months pass in expectation of said specified instrument, and then have the company say you can only have THIS (i.e. arbitrarily decided specs), and the customer is supposed to be the guilty one and a cry-baby and is to be chastised for raising their voice in protest, while the company is innocent and has acted professionally and without reproach? I don't care if the dollar amount is $7.50, the principle remains the same and the business practice is unacceptable and far from commendable.

What sort of business do you work for. With all due respect, at this point your comments and condescending attitude almost lead me to believe you work for Parker. Not that being a Parker employee is a bad thing, of course - far from it, but your insistence of their innocence and my or anyone else who agrees with my position being the sore loser who should just shut up and take it, are curious to say the least.

And with that I will sign off, offering Peace to all in the spirit of open, honest and respectful dialogue/discussion/debate/argument.  [:)]

Cheers.

~ Christopher

- St Gregory of Sinai

« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 05:25:02 PM by Monsieur Obscure »
Cheers.

~ Christopher

- St Gregory of Sinai

jwrooker

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 06:19:37 PM »
Christopher

I feel that what happened to your order is unfortunate, but not that uncommon when dealing with custom orders from Parker.  I've run into similar things but on a much less pricey guitar.  The problem seems to come when a dealer talks to his rep who talks to someone at Parker, etc, etc.  The only time a custom order is definitely going to happen is when Terry says it is going to happen.  Anyone else in the food chain isn't going to know for sure.  

I kind of take it all as part of a growth process that is taking place at US Music.  They took a company that was a financial mess and are trying to make it profitable and sustaining.  This doesn't happen overnight.  If they succeed in making the Parker Fly a profitable venture, they will end up doing something that wasn't happening at any point in the history of this fine guitar.  

I'm not saying anything to criticize you for being disappointed because I would be if I found myself in the same position.  US Music has come a long way in the three or so years they've had this line and I know how much effort they have put forth just to get this Belew model into production.  

Just my .02 for whatever it is worth..

John

98 Fly Classic w/ VPAF's - 99 Fly Deluxe w/Gen 1's
98 Fly Concert - 07 Single Cut

Offline Monsieur Obscure

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 07:44:39 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by jwrooker

I feel that what happened to your order is unfortunate, but not that uncommon when dealing with custom orders from Parker.  I've run into similar things but on a much less pricey guitar.  The problem seems to come when a dealer talks to his rep who talks to someone at Parker, etc, etc.  The only time a custom order is definitely going to happen is when Terry says it is going to happen...

Thanks for the added perspective, John. All points certainly well taken. And for the record, if it is not already evident, I am not here to brazenly trash Parker or US Music, just respectfully and thoughtfully voicing my point of view regarding the topic at hand and hoping to elicit equally respectful and thoughtful perspectives from fellow Forum participants... whether in agreement or not.

I certainly understand that bringing this guitar to market has been no easy feat and will be thankful and appreciative for whatever form in which it arrives there.

Cheers.

~ Christopher

- St Gregory of Sinai

« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 08:05:39 PM by Monsieur Obscure »
Cheers.

~ Christopher

- St Gregory of Sinai