Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Parker PJ14 a complete disaster...  (Read 18313 times)

Offline Ben Scott

Parker PJ14 a complete disaster...
« on: January 01, 2009, 09:20:37 AM »
As a Parker fan, I can't believe I'm posting this, but it's about my recent experience with the Parker PJ14. Die hard Parker fans might want to click to somewhere else, because this will not be good reading [V]...

The Good.
Without a doubt Ken Parker is a brilliant instrument designer. Guitars like the Fly are top notch. I absolutely LOVE the newer PJ12, 14 and 24 architecture. I wanted one when they came out.

The Bad.
When I saw the +3K price for the PJ12 & PJ14, I paused. After nearly two years of contemplating, and never actually trying one out, I bought a PJ14 from Sweetwater. I got the guitar, and briefly played it. I also looked inside and saw the words "Assembled in China". Four days later I returned it for a refund. Whatever "marketing professional" set the pricing for this guitar at US Music should be demoted or fired.[:(!] NO guitar from China (@ 20 cents/hour labor) should ever cost +3K. PERIOD. [xx(] I returned it to Sweetwater because I felt completely scammed.[:(] The level of build quality on a PJ14 is similar to the Ibanez Artcore series (under $400) or an Epiphone Emperor Regent (under $700). Shame on you US Music. We are not idiots about the real cost, and quality, of products coming from China.

The REALLY Ugly.
There were some nice components on the PJ14, but just about everything else screamed cheap. The dental floss wiring, uneven frets, off-center bridge and plain Jane wood is unacceptable in the +3K price range. Frets 1, 2, & 3 on the E and B strings would not stop buzzing regardless of the bridge and truss rod tweaking (twisted neck?). Very frustrating. The Parker name will not justify the price if the product is crap. Shame on you US Music. [:(!]

The Lesson.
Rudy, this guitar could have been a hit, but somebody in your organization fumbled the ball. [:(] Very poor brand management. The pricing is way off. The Parker name has been dragged through the mud on this mistake. It's a darn shame.

HELPFUL HINT: The market is in dire need of an innovative archtop guitar and brand in the $1200 to $1700 price range. The Parker PJ series has the potential to be in this range (NOT 2K or 3K!). If you guys can get your poop in a group with the pricing, and a product re-launch, the market is yours to own.[8)]

Thanks for reading.
Ben Scott

ps. - Somebody at Parker needs to respond to this posting and let everybody know what you guys could possibly be thinking for price setting on the PJ series.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 09:28:22 AM by Ben Scott »

Offline simonlock

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 11:38:57 AM »
When I first saw these I thought, "should've had the composite neck". Then I found out they were going to be imports and thought well they chose about the hardest market to sell guitars in. I mean in New York or jazz hotspots you might see jazz boxes all over music store walls but in Vancouver you are likely to see only a couple. Then I heard they were 3-4k and I thought NOBODY would buy them. Jazz guys can play chord solos because they're SMART. 4k buys a darn nice guitar and if you're going to enter an old market with half-ass product you'd better be shooting for the bottom half. I've played a couple Ibanez jazz boxes and thought they played great for 400 bucks.

Simon
Vancouver,BC
A Whole Mess of Flys and I Love Them ALL!!!!!
http://www.myspace.com/428626749

jwrooker

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 11:53:39 AM »
Ken Parker had nothing at all to do with the P series, the acoustics or the Jazz series.  The Fly and some of the NiteFly series are his designs.  If you want to see Ken's take on acoustic Jazz guitars, see http://www.kenparkerarchtops.com

John

98 Fly Classic w/ VPAF's - 99 Fly Deluxe w/Gen 1's
98 Fly Concert - 07 Single Cut

Offline PeterMa

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 07:36:47 PM »
SWING & A MISS!
Peter in MA.

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 09:24:43 PM »
As John said, Ken had NOTHING to do with these abominations. Regarding your comment about the market needing an innovative $1200-$1700 guitar, I'd say this sounds more like YOUR market. The overall market seems to be doing just fine with higher priced instruments running the gamut from Sadowsky to the very great Steve Andersen guitars. Sure, you'll have to pony up $3500 to $8000, but you'll get a guitar that's a GREAT instrument. As far as guitars in your price range, Eastman makes some VERY COOL, INNOVATIVE as well as traditional guitars in that range. I suggest you check out the line. www.bernunzio.com has a huge assortment of Eastman guitars, all at the best prices in the country. John Bernunzio is a straight shooter. Forget the Parker Jazz guitars - they are utter crap. Look into the Eastman guitars or save up for a great handmade guitar.

Bob

1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  -  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod - 2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

jwrooker

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 06:23:51 AM »
+1 on John Bernunzio!  I've purchased 4 guitars from him and the experience has been all positive.

John

98 Fly Classic w/ VPAF's - 99 Fly Deluxe w/Gen 1's
98 Fly Concert - 07 Single Cut

Offline Ben Scott

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 09:04:11 AM »
Thanks for the responses everyone. I meant to give kudos to Sweetwater in my posting. Their customer service during this fiasco was great. They took the guitar back, and refunded my money with no questions asked. High marks to their service.

Bob your suggestions are appreciated, and on point. I own an Eastman ER-1, and it's been a real gem. I don't think I have a solid price range, but here is everything I own:
2004 D'Aquisto Jazzline
2006 Gibson Herb Ellis
2007 Sadowsky Jim Hall
2006 D'Angelico EXL-1DP
2005 D'Angelico EXL-1SH
2006 D'Angelico EXL-1
2002 Gibson ES-135
2005 Eastman ER-1
2007 Baden Style A Acoustic
2007 Benedetto Bravo
2001 Ibanez GB10
1975 Alvarez Classical

The JP14 was going to be my first Parker.

quote:
Originally posted by uburoibob

Forget the Parker Jazz guitars - they are utter crap.

...Lesson learned. [B)]

IMO, managing a brand by balance sheet and P&L is a mistake. In the end, the open market determines the guitar's price...not a senior MBA with a laptop and spreadsheet. [;)] The words "Made in China" carries too much negative baggage to support a premium price tag. Better luck next time US Music.

Cheers,
Ben
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 01:53:02 PM by Ben Scott »

Offline cy2989

• http://chrisyoungportraits.com
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 07:49:25 AM »
Hi Ben and welcome to the forum.  For a very cool arch-top acoustic check out the Eastman Pagelli. It's in that price range and while I've never played one they are suppose to be very good.  One thing that's for sure, they are beautiful looking.  Claudio, responding to an email inquiry, told me he is very happy with the way Eastman is making these guitars.

Offline Ben Scott

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 09:07:15 AM »
Not to beat a dead horse, but no response from Parker here?
Bueller...
Bueller...

What a shame. [V]

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions and inputs everyone.
Have a great 2009! [8D]

Ben

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 05:57:21 PM »
Hey Ben I appreciate your post but I would not expect USM to officially respond here. Actually it would kind of hamper the forum if they make that a policy. If it every gets to be where some type of a disgruntled consumer post requires a  USM counter response then the forum will stink.

USM will live or die by what they produce regardless of this forum. Any real complaints to USM should be directed directly to them. Lets use the forum to share info and to communicate with each other (as you have), but lets not expect or hope that USM will use it as their bully pulpit to defend every critisism.

That gets old fast.

A few Flys in my soup
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 06:00:03 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Offline PeterMa

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 10:21:27 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill

Hey Ben I appreciate your post but I would not expect USM to officially respond here. Actually it would kind of hamper the forum if they make that a policy. If it every gets to be where some type of a disgruntled consumer post requires a  USM counter response then the forum will stink.

USM will live or die by what they produce regardless of this forum. Any real complaints to USM should be directed directly to them. Lets use the forum to share info and to communicate with each other (as you have), but lets not expect or hope that USM will use it as their bully pulpit to defend every critisism.

That gets old fast.

A few Flys in my soup

+1
Peter in MA.

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 04:02:22 PM »
Hey Ben,

Just as an aside, a Parker Fly, particularly a pre-refined where you can combine the piezo and mags, have tone control over the piezo, and control the whole kit and kaboodle from a master volume, is a great jazz guitar. ESPECIALLY if you get an ARTIST. The resonance of the wood, despite the fact that it's technically a solid body guitar is, to me, amazing. I think of it as a jazz box without the back and sides. I'd say check it out - clean and straight into your amp. Play with the tone controls - there's a HUGE range of usable sounds. Pat Martino LOVED his Fly.

Anyway, that's my advice based on the collection of guitars you have. At some point, let's take this off-line. I have an archtop or two I may be wanting to move and you might be very interested. I'll email you so we can get a dialog going - if you like.

Bob

1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  -  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod - 2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline Ben Scott

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 11:26:48 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by uburoibob

At some point, let's take this off-line. I have an archtop or two I may be wanting to move and you might be very interested. I'll email you so we can get a dialog going - if you like.

Hi Bob, I'll catch up with you off-line. C U L8ter

Re: Parker PJ14 a complete disaster...

Offline DoctorSin

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 12:34:27 PM »
I have to deny Your claims . The guitar came to me perfectly setup . No fret buzz , nice intonation . The floating pickup is maybe low output for my taste ...  The resonance of the guitar is very good , better than es 175 .

Cheers .
Parker nitefly
Parker fly mojo singlecut
Parker PJ12
Parker PJ 14
Parker PE8
Parker PA22
Parker PA24
Fender Telecaster
Gibson SG x3
LAG Jet
Jackson Dinky
Epiphone SG Iommy
Gibson MM Joan Jett
Godin LG
Godin Multiac Jazz
Fender Strat
Ibanez Montage
Epiphone 345Ltd.
Hamer Centaura
Switch
BC Rich ST

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 05:50:33 PM »
Nice to see our members are do active even after 2009.