Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just One More Question  (Read 1213 times)

Offline jamusic

Just One More Question
« on: January 07, 2009, 10:53:05 PM »
The other day I posted my first post:

Title: New Parker Fly Question & Pics

http://www.parkerguitars.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8811

I've been since happy to:

1. Discover the 'BP' that "laughinglarry" was talking about which tells me that I do indeed have a 'Deluxe';

2. Have my Fly restrung & set properly, [my way], now that I understand & have dealt with the whole 'step-stop/home position, spring wheel & spring tension' thang;

3. Finally play my new 'beast' for hours & hours last night which felt Oh So Good!!

But now I have just one more question:

Being very aware of the warning, "Never tune your Fly unless the 'step-stop' is in the 'Home' position", does that include even fine tuning adjustments after the string change?

Do I have to return the step-stop to the 'Home' position as the strings are new and stretching, and I'm tuning them ever so slightly for the next few days?

If so, that may register as an official pain in the ass. [PITA]

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks Buds,

jamusic

Just One More Question

Offline laughinglarry

• http://www.myspace.com/larrysmithmusic
Just One More Question
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 11:39:34 PM »
Nope, that's not what it means.  Tune away, as you would on anything else.  But if you're changing a string, it'll be a whole lot easier to just put the step-stop down.  Think of it like a locking nut: if you'd have to unlock the nut, then set the step-stop.

And a little discrepency with what the manual might say: the only way a Fly will stay in tune after breaking a string is if it's set for DOWN-ONLY.  In that instance, you can apply more pressure against the step-stop, and the guitar really will stay in tune, even with only 5 strings.  I tried tweaking for years, and couldn't get a guitar set for FLOATING mode to go back into tune just by moving the step-stop (on pre-refined guitars it's a little switch that can be moved without the use of a tool).  If you put enough pressure on the stop to counteract the change in tension from breaking a string, it will go way sharp when you move the stop to FLOATING.

Anyway, congrats on getting it just right!

Cheers,

Larry

2000 Fly Deluxe Single 2, '98 Fly Classic, '97 Fly Deluxe (with GK-2A), '08 Godin Multiac Nylon SA, '07 Steinberger GM-7TA, '89 Strat Plus, '92 Les Paul Custom, Ibanez Silver Series (Strat), Epiphone Dot, '65 Mustang, Yamaha BB3000AF, Peavey Foundation, Hamer Cruisebass
http://www.myspace.com/larrysmithmusic
www.myspace.com/karmagenerator

Just One More Question

Offline jamusic

Just One More Question
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 12:20:23 AM »
Hey thanks for the input laughinglarry.

So, just to confirm, when the manual says "Never...blah blah blah", it may only mean for a string change, or say for the first initial tuning for a gig or session, but then it [step stop] can stay in any of the 3 possible positions for minor tuning adjustments?