Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I feel like I'm in a BMW showroom  (Read 2814 times)

Offline LooseChange

• http://www.fydamps.com
I feel like I'm in a BMW showroom
« on: August 30, 2005, 04:22:44 PM »
Coming to this forum seems elite. We all have Parkers and they are precision/expensive guitars.... (Just a mere thought)

1995 Parker Fly Deluxe Emerald Green
I build my own amps. See:
www.loosechange.freeservers.com
1995 Emerald Green Fly Deluxe (Beaten and Modded but Loved)
1997 Sunburst Nitefly NFV/4
I like tubes... Check out all my DIY amps:
http://www.fydamps.com

Offline loumt123

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 04:32:27 PM »
There aren't that many members in this forum either. It feels like an exclusive group [^]

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 09:54:37 PM »
It is elite. While I am sure there are huge differences between us all there is one thing in common. The vision to to see feel and realize that something out of the ordinary is better then it has any right to be. The guts to step ahead not tied to peer pressure, marketing and hero worship and to go our own way. The strength of character to let those that aren't ready to see the light do their own thing. I thank Parker and Washburn for the guitars everyday and for this forum. [^]

Alex
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
1999 Parker NiteFly S/S/H NFV7
2005 Emerald Acoustic X10
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline LooseChange

• http://www.fydamps.com
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 06:08:40 AM »
Quick one: When I first saw a Perker (1995), I thought it was really stupid looking (I was a Strat guy all the way).  I played one and I realized I needed one.. period.

1995 Emerald Green Fly Deluxe (Beaten and Modded but Loved)
1997 Sunburst Nitefly NFV/4
I like tubes... Check out all my DIY amps:
http://www.fydamps.com

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 10:15:27 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by LooseChange

Quick one: When I first saw a Perker (1995), I thought it was really stupid looking (I was a Strat guy all the way).  I played one and I realized I needed one.. period.

It usually takes a while for something that is ahead of its time and not steeped in tradition to catch on. [;)]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com

Offline bno

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 11:21:23 AM »
Ah, me Fly story . . . its August or September '94.  I had broken my main axe and was looking for a replacement.  I live in NYC so I was making the rounds looking for a good vintage Strat or other single coil that got me excited (Schecter, ESP, whatever) .  I also had a 70's LP that was nice but I like having that broad sound pallette - I needed/wanted two guitars.  So, I stop into Rudy's and head upstairs.  Salesman says, "hey, feel how light this is".  I nearly dropped it.  Played it for less than a minute and fell instantly in love.  I asked how much even though I didn't care because I was going to get it no matter what it cost (and it was WAY over budget), was told I couldn't have that specific one and would have to order one and wait three months.  Boom - out came the cash.  The budget was blown; what I had planned on spending for a guitar was now just a down payment (shopping for used guitars is a cash adventure - there's something very intoxicating about cruising around NYC with a wad of cash in your pocket looking for a deal).  I sold that LP in a heartbeat with no regrets (good riddance).  I chose the dark metallic (Stealth?) grey and I've been a Flyin' and a grinnin' ever since.  

Yes, I think we are a fairly elite and adventurous lot.  One thing I find interesting is that a very broad musical spectrum is represented here.  And a lot of very good information is shared.  Even most of the rants are fairly polite and civilized.

Thank you Ken Parker for the vision, JohnP for all the great info and USMusic for keeping the product alive so others can share the joy.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 06:19:19 PM »
On second thought, it's more like the showroom of a place that sells exotic cars like Ferraris and the like. [:D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com

Offline Roland

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 02:39:23 AM »
No.  The original analogy stands.  Ferraris stay in the garage, and only come out on special occasions.  BMWs are driven every day: to work, on holiday, shopping, and there's room for guitars and amps in the boot.

Roland
Roland
Read about 2008 India   http://mrspoppadum.blogspot.com/

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 01:05:44 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Roland

No.  The original analogy stands.  Ferraris stay in the garage, and only come out on special occasions.  BMWs are driven every day: to work, on holiday, shopping, and there's room for guitars and amps in the boot.

Roland

Not me, I would be driving my Ferrari! Point well taken, though. [;)]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com

Offline BobD

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 02:44:22 PM »
I agree with most of the post, but working for a Mercedes dealer I'd have to argue the BMW bit!!

I've only recently bought a Parker Nite Fly SA after a long story.  I ordered a blue one from Music 123 and the delivery date kept getting put back and back.  As I'm working in the Middle East we are a little limited to what you can buy in the shops here so have to rely on mail order.  Went back to the UK for my vacation and Peter Cook's Guitar World had some SA's on special offer.  They were very helpful and e-mailed pictures of two small marks in the finish of an orange one.  I went for that, despite the very minor marks.  The colour is very bright but the grain shows through nicely.   I 'm assuming it's an old colour and may not have sold well (or why stop it) but I like it!  I think I ended up probably paying less than I would have as the carriage charges mount up from the USA.  Flew back rather nervously with it in the gig bag, but it made it.  I'm ashamed to say (on this forum) I still think of my PRS Custom 24 as my no.1 guitar, but the Parker is closing in fast and time may well change my opinion.  I haven't gigged with it so far as my band had to split with 1 member leaving the country and me having to relocate to another city.  However, I'm very impressed with it through my Flextone III XL.  I've never tried using two amps yet, but I will do at some point when my wife isn't looking as two amps in the lounge won't go down too well!  I'm sure you know what I mean.

Bob D

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 04:24:37 PM »
Hi BobD  Welcome to the Parker forum [:D]

You'll sell the PRS like I did after you get your Fly for sure. Be careful there in SA. I had a friend who worked there made good money but it was dangerous 20 years ago I can't imagine working there now.

Any way can you post a picture? I have never seen an orange Nitefly. My Nitefly is mahogany tobacco burst same pickup configuration as your SA. [^]

Alex
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
1999 Parker NiteFly S/S/H NFV7
2005 Emerald Acoustic X10
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline BobD

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 02:03:41 PM »
Hi Alex,  

I hope this works

Things here aren't as bad as the press makes out and there has surely been a lot of bad press.  We were in Riyadh for over 4 years and last summer was very bad where we got to the point of questioning if it was time to leave.  Now we are on the east coast and apart from the incident down the road (which has now ended with all the bad guys dead)life is easier than in Riyadh.  We actually like living here or we certainly wouldn't stay and if we really got to the point of not feeling the family was safe then we'd head home to Scotland.

I guess you get street wise living with these type of problems and as a young man I was in London when the IRA was bombing things there.  Where can you go that's really safe these days?  Most of the expats left here are pretty down to earth and sensible with it.  We listen to the advice given out by the embassies and our own network of connections.

The standard of living is good and we've played some amazing gigs in Riyadh.  One compound has an ampitheatre and we'll never forget the atmosphere and buzz at that gig.  We also headlined the 4th Riyadh Live Music Festival (there is social life here!!)and that was another great night for us.  However, as I mentioned we've had to split up because of business circumstances but I hope to find another band soon and we also hope to have the odd reunion gig here or even in Dubai.

Bob